Sow Nailed in Backyard

One of the very few times that I did not need my FLIRs......

Hoglets.jpg

Hoglets2.jpg

Suckers came out of the woods about a 150 yards down the road and walked right up to me?[:O]

Must have thought I was their momma.

Got out of the UTV without my rifle and went for a walk. No sooner do I get a 100 yards that I see a large sounder group in thick woods to my right. All I had was the SIG .357 with 124 grain Hornaday reloads and there were six large sows over 325 pounds, so I took out this small hog with the pistol with a lung shot that went clean through him.

SIG%20357%20Hog.jpg

SIG%20357%20Hog%20Hondini.jpg

Nailed my first nice hog thanks to the FLIR M-324XP thermal camera.

Set up right at twilight at a known crossing and had the FLIR covering the road down into a ravine about 125 yards in front of me and sat quiet, just as it was getting too dark to shoot an entire herd of hogs came out of the thick woods and started crossing the road, I could barely see them in the twilight darkness. Sat and watched them on the thermal for about two minutes as they were cavorting around back and forth around the road and figured I would not have a shot.

However this big sow cam walking up the road to the top of the hill that I was on and just kept coming, I could see her on the thermal and just keep quiet.

Finally she was less than 100 feet in front of me all lite up on the FLIR thermal and I took a head shot on her with my Thompson Center Contender with 10" barrel in .44 MAG with a 1.5X T/C scope.

Slug hit her right in the head and put her down.

This is the second kill with the M-Series, got another small shoat the other night too, but this one is a good 275 pounds...

44%20Mag%20Hog.jpg

I'll try to get some NV photos of that super nice Larson Electronics mil-spec 850nm IR light bar this weekend, that thing is totally awesome, what an excellent IR lightbar! Virtually turns night into day for a half mile...

850nm%20IR.jpg

That does seem kind of implausible as neither hogs nor wolves have the opsin proteins in their retinal photopigment cells to pick up any upper visual wavelength red at all, it is just gray to them? Perhaps the contrast of the gray is what scares them off.

Regardless it has not been a problem for me with either coyotes or hogs as they will stand in the 850nm IR light forever without noticing anything.

Here is the 24 watt 850nm IR headlamp blaster on the UTV:

Hondini%20NV%20850nm%20Headlamp.jpg

oh lucky you...

In our case, our government loves the hogs and they keep restricting the hunts during summer. Currently many fields are attacked by the hogs and the villagers (or us) can not shoot them!!! Apparently we are now only allowed to scare them away by making some noises. This forces us to make illegal hunts
frown.gif

We must send our hunting committee officers to USA for some practical training and for them to learn the damage these hogs are causing and what kind of methods USA follows to stop them.

Last edited:
The Mil-Spec Larson Electronics 24 watt 850nm Infrared Light Bar with 8-3 watt IR LEDs is a definite keeper!

Hondini%20NV%20850nm%20Headlamp.jpg

850nm%20Headlamp.jpg

Don't use without an autogated NVO system, it is super powerful, not to mention do NOT shine it at any human beings.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOne of the very few times that I did not need my FLIRs......

Hoglets.jpg

Hoglets2.jpg

Suckers came out of the woods about a 150 yards down the road and walked right up to me?[:O]

Must have thought I was their momma.

Those are perfect eatin' size. Did you not take any of them?

btw, awesome rifles/gear and nice pics. sub'd

Here is a more representative NV photo of the awesome Larson Electronics 850nm IR Blaster out on the cattle pasture grade, it is 1/2 mile to the reflector out there on the road....

[
Cattle%20Pasture%20Road%20850nm.jpg

Here is one a hundred yards back into the live oak hammock before entering the pasture:

Cattle%20Pasture%20Road%20850nmB.jpg

Pretty much turns night into bright daylight!

Installed the SPI 720X480 waterproof mini DVR recorder so that I can record stalks and kills from the cab from the FLIR M-324 thermal video camera using a series of BNC connectors to a final RCA jack.

Also, you can see the the lite up RED LED warning that the powerful 850nm IR Blaster is ON.

SPI%20DVR.jpg

BNC%20Thermal%20Video%20Connection.jpg

T-70 556 175 Yard Smackdown one shot through lungs DRT:

175%20Yard%20Smackdown.jpg

77 grain IMI Sierra Match King, raining again for the thermal, hot 85*F and sticky 110%humid.

That is the exit wound.

LOL, this is getting too easy....

I'm cruising down the forest road out back in the UTV with the FLIR M-324 running and see two distinct hot spots about 250 yards ahead, cut the engine and watch them darting out of the thick cover on the side of the road. Decide to exit the UTV and stalk up a little closer on the road with the FLIR T-70 to see if it is a couple of coons or possibly some hogs?

Take a sitting position in the middle of the road (full moon coming up bright) and watch them in the thermal scope, decide they are in fact some hogs and about to get up to mosey in a bit closer when suddenly they both take off running right down the middle of the road towards me?

Caught a little off balance but watch them keep coming, at 125 yard coming right at me I decide to take out the one on the left with a frontal head shot as this is too good to be true and don't want to have them run off into cover.

BAM, he drops in his tracks with bullets between the eyes!

Other dude halts in his tracks and looks his buddy over and three seconds later BAM - head shot and he drops in his tracks.

Couple of 90 pounders are in the sausage grinder!

Hondini%20Shoats%20Front.jpg

Hondini%20Shoats%20Red%20Led.jpg

Hondini%20Shoats.jpg

Awesome!

Poor Skypup... We might have to take up a collection for him. He is suffering from too many hogs and not enough time to shoot them all...
wink.gif

$bob$

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseYou are living the life I wanna live
smile.gif
just that your hogs are baby compared to ours :))

Yup, yours are dinosaurs compared to these, but these make for some fine eating!
smile.gif

Picked up some nice .308 targets on the game cam behind the house for this weekends hunt, about a dozen 400 pounders.....

7-14-14%20184B.jpg

Back