Ruger 17 Hornet

If I'm reading that right, you're getting 3700fps with 11gr 1680 behind 20gr pills.
Interesting.
My Cooper 17AH runs just under 3600 with 12.3gr 1680.
I didn't realize the 17HH was so much more efficient than the 17AH.

Midway sells Hornady 17HH brass for 28.49 per 50 and Hornady factory rounds for 18.99 per 25. So the way I figger it is, for 11 dollah diff, 29/50 to 38/50 it's like buying a box of HMR with every 50 rounds of loaded stuff, just to get the brass..... wierd.....

Originally Posted By: RePeteIf I'm reading that right, you're getting 3700fps with 11gr 1680 behind 20gr pills.
Interesting.
My Cooper 17AH runs just under 3600 with 12.3gr 1680.
I didn't realize the 17HH was so much more efficient than the 17AH.

I am sorry, not 1680. I use Ramshot Enforcer. It does read like you stated, I will correct it.

Adam

Neat little round. I dont think that i would ever buy one my .223 bull ar15 is just so [beeep] fun on sage rats. I have a HMR......please convince me that I need one because I love buying guns:)

I have the .17 hmr, but want a .17 centerfire. I don't need one at all. Matter of fact, for Georgia, I'm trying to figure out where I would actually use it.

Adam, where are you finding primers $20 a 1K? and powder $18 a pound?

If you don't mind revealing. Thanks

Originally Posted By: 1coyoteslayerNeat little round. I dont think that i would ever buy one my .223 bull ar15 is just so [beeep] fun on sage rats. I have a HMR......please convince me that I need one because I love buying guns:)

Simple,, With the US teetering on the fiscal cliff it's your patriotic duty to help stimulate the economy.

Originally Posted By: RePete It's your patriotic duty to help stimulate the economy.
Any thing less than buying a new firearm with the US teetering on the fiscal cliff is treasonous.

When the cost of fuel, electricity, insurance, taxes, food, blah, blah, blah goes down, I'm gonna get very patriotic and do all I can to help stimulate. Until then, afraid my firearm inventory is going to stay stagnant.

Thanks greedy oil companies, obummer and crew.

huntsman22 and ab bentley-

have either one of you shot group's at 100yds with factory hornady ammo. i would hope that these little booger's would shoot 3/4moa or better.

kyle, I believe they will. I was going to shoot a 10 rd group, but the first 3 were low/left. I adjusted scope 3 clicks over, and 3 up. My 7 rd group climbed on me. the top is actually the last 4....

IMG_0549.jpg

A 3 rounder. First was center....

IMG_0546-1.jpg

I'm not much into shooting paper, unless sighting in.......

Not with facotry fodder yet. But it will hold sub MOA with 25gr Hornady HP's and Trailboss. Tomorrow if it's nice I'm going to run some more powder through mine, AA2200 and Ramshot Exterminator. Also I reworked the trigger to 1lb and free floated the barrel. Adam

For those who are interested here is what I learned today:

( I will come back and translate this into grains)

39*

Ruger 77/17 17HH 24" barrel

Winchester Brass

Remington 7 1/2 primer

Harrells Schutzen Powder Measure

Ramshot Exterminator:

100 clicks = 3256fps w/ 20gr VMax (compressed)

90 clicks = 2905fps w/ 25gr HP

N110:

125 clicks = 3825fps w/ 20gr VMax (leaky primer/ compressed)

100 clicks= 3718fps w/ 20gr VMax (easy extraction/ good primer/ compressed)

Ramshot Enforcer:

85 clicks = 3950fps w/ 20gr VMax ( good until 3rd shot, leaky primer)

82.5 clicks = 3850fps w/ 20gr VMax (easy extraction/ good primer)

AA2200:

100 clicks = 3642fps w/ 20gr VMax (compressed)

70 clicks = 2753fps w/ 20gr VMax

Trailboss:

110 clicks = 1500fps w/ 25gr HP (Compressed)

Now this is just FPS not groups, but I was blown away with the FPS produced by the Ramshot Enforcer. 82.5 clicks is about 12grs of powder. If I use a better primer (i.e. Wolf or CCI) I believe the leaky primer will be cured, but there was also hard extraction with the case. 3850fps might be all I can get out of this rifle.

I must say I was quite impressed with N110, almost a compressed load and good speed. I will be coming back to this powder in the future.

If someone wanted to duplicate the factory load AA2200 would be my choice/ sugguestion.

Now I was very disappointed in not reaching 2150fps with the 25gr bullet and Trailboss. I will give Ramshot TAC a go to see what I can produce.

Ago, this is just a quick view of the load data I have gained.

Adam

While ab is out doing load work for all of us, I'm out killin' schtuff, and boning up on bullet/cartridge performance. 20 gr V-max still had enuff ooooomph to decapite a Pd at a hair over 300....

IMG_2069.jpg

When they're laying down, ever so slight I can see them. If you reload them let me know about the 2nd and 3rd shot, I didn't see a buldge until the 4th reloading. Just asking. Adam

A bulge in any caliber just means that your barrel has an oversize chamber, which is pretty normal in most factory barrels.

That's why people ordering reamers almost alway ask for a "minimum match chamber."

Jack

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes
When the cost of fuel, electricity, insurance, taxes, food, blah, blah, blah goes down,
That will happen when

ee320c6d6a627094f705ebaee4de7d3f.jpg

Back