Ruger 17 Hornet

ab_bentley

DSC02299.jpg

DSC02309.jpg

DSC02301.jpg

The Ruger guys got this one right. The chamber is tight at the base, where many others are sloppy and leave a bulge in the case. Forming cases is as easy as trimming a 22H case to 1.340" then lubing a case and running it through my short 17FB die. The case comes out to be 1.350" long. I fired formed the case above with 3.6gr of Trailboss and a Sierra 20gr FMJ bullet. I don't know about accuracy yet but thus far am impressed with the chamber. The trigger sucks, it's about the weight of a new born Elephant. In the neighborhood of 5lbs, I'll take care of that and show pics along the way.

Adam

Sweet! How do you like the stock? I have one ordered and expect it by the end of the week. But I gotta find a walnut handle for it. Sure don't like the looks of the green laminate. Keep us posted on it. Where'd ya find it?

Originally Posted By: ab_bentley

Does it have a cool rotary magazine like the 10/22?

DSC02299.jpg

DSC02309.jpg

DSC02301.jpg

The Ruger guys got this one right. The chamber is tight at the base, where many others are sloppy and leave a bulge in the case. Forming cases is as easy as trimming a 22H case to 1.340" then lubing a case and running it through my short 17FB die. The case comes out to be 1.350" long. I fired formed the case above with 3.6gr of Trailboss and a Sierra 20gr FMJ bullet. I don't know about accuracy yet but thus far am impressed with the chamber. The trigger sucks, it's about the weight of a new born Elephant. In the neighborhood of 5lbs, I'll take care of that and show pics along the way.

Adam

Dasher, no idea yet, my trimmer broke last night and my scope hasn't come in yet. I am rolling my own ammo so no idea yet. I will though keep everyone posted. Adam

I went about things a bit different. Have the scope, dies, powder, bullets, brass, 50 rds factory loads and 3 extry mags.
All, before I even found a rifle......

Huntsman, see I am minimalist (poor cheap bastard) and I was really hoping to not have to buy dies, I did though. For 30$ I couldn't pass. I am going to see if these dies are any better than the 20VT dies I hade when they first came out. I would hope so. Anyway my new trimmer is on it's way and I will give you a accuracy report as soon as I can. Adam

Good deal. I like the green stock. I'm hopeing to get one for fox and lynx. Should be very fur friendly. Looking forward to your accuracy report.
I've held off from the 17 HMR due to not being able to reload them.

So I was pleasently pleased tonight, you can seat the bullets to the lands and still fit the magazine. It's the maximum mag length to the lands, but it's still very doable and have half the neck filled with 20gr VMax, even more so with the 25gr HP. All in all I am very pleased with the results. Someone was listening when Ruger built this rifle.

Also the Hornady dies are amazing for 30$ dies. The neck is left with .0025" annular tension, the shoulder is left at .293" (fired case measured .295"). I was very very happy with the results.

Adam

Always get a kick out of gun and ammo companies. Here Hornady is making a big deal out of their 17 Hornet when the 17 AH has been around for 60 years. But then, that doesn't sell new guns or ammo.

DSC_1855.jpg

17AH on the left.

I understand the new Hornady has a thicker rim than the 22H case. If so, does that mean you have to buy their brass and can't make your own from Hornet brass?

Think I'll keep my two AH's!
thumbup.gif

17AH1.jpg

Although, I am glad to see the caliber become legitimate. I've been shooting a 17AH for over 10 years now. I tried both a 17HMR and 17 FB since and couldn't see a reason for either and sold them both.

I have been making mine from Winchester 22H with no issues. Make sure they have about .010" crush fit on the shoulder and hit them with the good stuff. Adam

Last edited:
UPS tracking says 'out for delivery'. Should be in my grubby little mitts by 3 this afternoon. May have to wait till tomorrow to choot 'er.....

Well Boys here it is, all were fired from 50yds ( to get it sighted in). No cleaning, no shoot one clean one stuff either, all shot from the hood of my truck with the Leupold 1.5-5x20 Vari X-III set on 5.

DSC02348.jpg

This is two groups, 25gr of Hornady HP with Trailboss powder

DSC02344.jpg

This is also a 25gr bullet with Trailboss

DSC02342.jpg

20gr FMJ bullet with TB powder

DSC02343.jpg

Hero shot of the rifle/ reloading stand.

Even with the barrel bedded out to the forend it shot well, I was impressed. All in all it's a good rifle. Adam

Back