Raptors,songbirds and the land of the free?

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesYou tell the story the way you want to. I'll never believe it. I reckon that's where we outta leave this one.

I'll never believe it either.
It reminds me of the rattlesnake stocking stories.

That is just because all you wardens stick toegher. Just kidding
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: roode301Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesYou tell the story the way you want to. I'll never believe it. I reckon that's where we outta leave this one.

I'll never believe it either.
It reminds me of the rattlesnake stocking stories.

That is just because all you wardens stick toegher. Just kidding
grin.gif

A lot of them do, but I never did fit in with the "stick together" crowd.
grin.gif

I usually go buy the old saying believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see,so no hard feelings here .I started this post to vent about the great waste of a natural resource. I use to teach taxidermy at a college in Min. The DNR would give the college hawks and owls etc. For the students to practice on and then we would give them to local schools. Many of the raptors were to freezer burned to mount because they had been in the freezer for over a decade. The federal warden told me they had hundreds of frozen raptors and song birds. It seems like such a waste,and for no good reason. They could generate income off the sale of these birds ,issue a permit for private collection and get rid of every one,no waste and only gain.Like in Canada they could deny permits for shot birds,which would eliminate foul play. Any way we better stick together as hunters and learn to combine our efforts into one loud voice or we will surely see more bad legislation robbing us of our great passions in the great outdoors. Have a great summer and don’t lose your trigger finger,

I should of done a search and posted this at the beginning of this post rather than going by my memory back to 1972.It is nice to see how well my memory served me.Its also interesting to see that my first bird mount a legally shot great horned owl, would have been illegal just 2 months later.This article explains the amendment wich went into law march 1972. (The Protection of Raptors
The federal protection of migratory birds has a long history in the U.S. dating back to 1916 when a treaty was signed between the United States and Great Britain, on behalf of Canada, for the protection of most migratory birds. This treaty resulted in the enactment of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) in 1918, which is the basic law in effect today. Although raptors such as hawks and owls were not protected by the original Act, they were later included as an amendment in 1972. The bald eagle has been protected since the enactment of the Eagle Act in 1940 and the golden eagle, also under the Eagle Act, since 1962. State laws and regulations today likewise protect all migratory birds.)

Back