Raptors,songbirds and the land of the free?

LMAO...

Chris I'd like to see some pictures of your raptors. Maybe even some with their catch or videos of them working. I always was interested in falconry

So we should kill all the hawks and owls because they are eating the mice and squirells? Just because WE want to kill them ourselves? hahaa really good luck to you with this. I kill coyotes because I like shooting things, not because they eat the rabbits.

Chris Lynn, what do you think about the raptors for sale in Europe? Try that here in the USA and you will end up in jail. You don’t have to admit you were wrong if you don’t want to. I understand your love of your birds. When I was a kid I raised a coon from a baby and I loved that coon. I swore Id never trap another coon but the reality of the teeter totter effect in nature ie over population=disease, then wipe out, won out and I went on to kill many coons. The mass starvation of Great Grey owls was probably unavoidable, but would it of hurt to allow a limited harvest? Actually I have heard that some of the Canadian provinces do allow hunting and mounting raptors. I haven’t verified this but was told this at the world show .I have mounted several bald eagles ,one scooping a crappie out off a lake scene splash and all. Also I have mounted many hawks and owls and songbirds, Al for schools or the DNR. I love all birds and respect each ones place in creation. I have won best in state and one first place at the world show, as well as several first place Masters. You can’t do this without a passion for the species. You should not let your love of a species cloud the reality of sensible management. I was teaching at a college in central Minn. In the late 80’s when the Min. DNR went down a river bed shooting every Great Horned owl they could because they were devastating the small game and bird populations. If they would of proposed a public hunting season which would of generated income, people like you would have screamed to high heaven and filed lawsuits to stop it. What sense does that really make. Again I understand your love of these birds, I share your admiration for them, but like everything else there is a time for management. In America I can shoot my limit of ducks every day and pluck the feathers and throw them to the wind, but I cannot use my skill, mount one and sell it .I can only mount one brought to me by a customer. What sense does that make? No migratory bird may be sold period ,that’s why I won’t touch one without a large deposit. Anyway no hard feelings here I would probably enjoy watching your birds immensely Happy resurrection day.

This guy is exactly right. There needs to be a season for every species to keep them from starvation and diseases. I had a pet (gray) squirrel as a kid I loved that squirrel to death it would come up and eat right out of your hand. I even snuck it in the house a few times it would let you hold it also.. It was there for 2 years I was only 9 yrs old when it came.. then one day it dissapeared. Rip bushy . But I never thought that they should close a season on squirrels heck the day after bushy died my dad took me squirrel hunting we had a blast. I still watch that video from time to time. My dad recorded me hunting the shot and all. God did I ever get excited when I shot a squirrel with the old single shot 410

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: J.Mark In the late 80’s when the Min. DNR went down a river bed shooting every Great Horned owl they could

Sorry buddy, but unless you can provide some documentation supporting this, I GOTTA call a big old bullchit on it.

Originally Posted By: cawilson82LMAO...

Chris I'd like to see some pictures of your raptors. Maybe even some with their catch or videos of them working. I always was interested in falconry

Me too, me too, me too.

Always found the birds of prey and falconry fascinating.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: cawilson82LMAO...

Me too, me too, me too.

Always found the birds of prey and falconry fascinating.
+1

doggin coyotes,One of the wardens involved in the owl thinning told me the facts himself.Just because you think its bull dosn't make it so. One thing you should bet on is that smart DNR officials dont make known to the general public everything they do.Mybe the warden was a big liar, but I knew him to be a stand up guy.

Maybe you could give me a winning stock tip as well as long as your in the guarantee business.I was right about the Eropean raptor deal and believe Im right about this.The reason dealt with a decline of some species which eludes me,but I bet if I made some calls I could vefify it.Im not in the habit of talking of things I know nothing about.

I take it that your edit of the word guarantee means you wont be giving me any stock tips,darn I was going to buy a 17 hornet with my profits.

You tell the story the way you want to. I'll never believe it. I reckon that's where we outta leave this one.

Winning stock tip of the day. Don't play the stock market.

Hope you had a great Easter.

Raptors are protected in Canada, but if you find one dead, you can get a permit to have it mounted. About $10 or $15 for the permit. If the bird has been shot, no permit.

Originally Posted By: J.MarkAt the wold taxidermy competition,Europeans compete with hawks,owls and songbirds.They can mount them for customers as well.Here in the land of the free? we can only watch the raptor population grow as our small game and upland bird's suffer.Were I hunted as a kid the hungarian partrige population has all but dissapeared due to hawks and owl's.In 1971 my first paying taxidermy job was a legally shot leagally mounted great horned owl.Then in 1972 a stupid treaty protected them.There is nothing sacred about flying predators.If they get out of hand they should be controlled like any other predator.Protection of wildlife is important,We have been very sucessfull at it and should be proud of our accomplishments.But,going overboard on protection can be just as devastating as none.

I agree with you 100%....the hawks around my area kill everything in sight..its time to control them...

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI just wish I could get chance (legally) find out if they really do taste like chicken....
grin.gif

they don't Tim. more like blue heron
blink.gif

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesYou tell the story the way you want to. I'll never believe it. I reckon that's where we outta leave this one.

I'll never believe it either.
It reminds me of the rattlesnake stocking stories.

Back