Pulsar XQ50 Trail, moving with temperature, with pics

Originally Posted By: Catdog1I submitted some information to Todd to see if he noticed any thing concerning the Pulsar problems this was what I got from him.
15rmof9.png

Right wrong or indifferent, I would not believe a word from this guy EVER. He was fired from FLIR for his B.S. as their Pro-Staff for a reason. He's been banned here and elsewhere for his vicious B.S. and attacking many. He has an agenda period to the highest bidder.

Tom from NightGoggles will always give you the truth and works very closely with Pulsar. PM him here and he will give you the truth on everything he does working with Pulsar on a daily basis.

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: Catdog1I submitted some information to Todd to see if he noticed any thing concerning the Pulsar problems this was what I got from him.
15rmof9.png

Right wrong or indifferent, I would not believe a word from this guy EVER. He was fired from FLIR for his B.S. as their Pro-Staff for a reason. He's been banned here and elsewhere for his vicious B.S. and attacking many. He has an agenda period to the highest bidder. You're completely entitled to that, personally I do have a lot of respect for the work he does and the reviews he does. One cant argue with the experience and amount of hogs that he puts down. Right or wrong he has a lot of thermal videos and I pay attention to that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: Catdog1I submitted some information to Todd to see if he noticed any thing concerning the Pulsar problems this was what I got from him.
15rmof9.png

Right wrong or indifferent, I would not believe a word from this guy EVER. He was fired from FLIR for his B.S. as their Pro-Staff for a reason. He's been banned here and elsewhere for his vicious B.S. and attacking many. He has an agenda period to the highest bidder. You're completely entitled to that, personally I do have a lot of respect for the work he does and the reviews he does. One cant argue with the experience and amount of hogs that he puts down. Right or wrong he has a lot of thermal videos and I pay attention to that.

Try posting on his web site about something he does not agree with and see what happens. Too many around here can attest to that. Good luck, and as I mentioned, talk with Tom from NightGoggles who will tell you the truth and facts.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCOriginally Posted By: Catdog1I submitted some information to Todd to see if he noticed any thing concerning the Pulsar problems this was what I got from him.
15rmof9.png

Try posting on his web site about something he does not agree with and see what happens. Too many around here can attest to that. Good luck, and as I mentioned, talk with Tom from NightGoggles who will tell you the truth and facts.
smile.gif
will do, thanks for the heads up.

I’ve watched this flip flop around for awhile as people are floundering for answers.

It is going to take at least six months for this to get repaired, it is not a mount problem.

The thermoresistors in the microbolometer Vanadium Oxide substrate base are constantly changing temperature as they absorb mid-IR radiation.

In order to correct them back to unity the firmware performs a Uniform Numerical Correction (NUC) to bring all the resistors back to their default setting, mapping each one out in the process and checking for defective thermoresistors and correcting them, this resets the entire microbolometer image you view each time a NUC occurs

There is a defective mathematical algorithm in the Pulsar firmware that needs to be corrected to keep the image from shifting every time it performs a NUC, possibly the Read Out IC circuit chip is also chopping the data it collects from the microbolometer that it transfers to the image processing software causing additional problems.

These are firmware problems that require a hardware engineer to correct and for new software to be written and tested to correct it.

Some Russian somewhere will have to devise a new firmware upgrade to correct the inherent miscalculations being performed in the array causing the entire image to shift, this will take some time since the people that do this are in Russia.

Owners of these units will have to wait for a firmware update from Pulsar to correct the shifting array.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI’ve watched this flip flop around for awhile as people are floundering for answers.

It is going to take at least six months for this to get repaired, it is not a mount problem.

The thermoresistors in the microbolometer Vanadium Oxide substrate base are constantly changing temperature as they absorb mid-IR radiation.

In order to correct them back to unity the firmware performs a Uniform Numerical Correction (NUC) to bring all the resistors back to their default setting, mapping each one out in the process and checking for defective thermoresistors and correcting them, this resets the entire microbolometer image you view each time a NUC occurs

There is a defective mathematical algorithm in the Pulsar firmware that needs to be corrected to keep the image from shifting every time it performs a NUC, possibly the Read Out IC circuit chip is also chopping the data it collects from the microbolometer that it transfers to the image processing software causing additional problems.

These are firmware problems that require a hardware engineer to correct and for new software to be written and tested to correct it.

Some Russian somewhere will have to devise a new firmware upgrade to correct the inherent miscalculations being performed in the array causing the entire image to shift, this will take some time since the people that do this are in Russia.

Owners of these units will have to wait for a firmware update from Pulsar to correct the shifting array. you should contact Pulsar and share this with them. It may give them a good head start on what they need to do or what they need to look into. Although if it was just the lack of the firmware being programmed correctly, would not every unit have this problem?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkyPupI’ve watched this flip flop around for awhile as people are floundering for answers.

Owners of these units will have to wait for a firmware update from Pulsar to correct the shifting array.

When this sort of thing happens, will people be able to get there $ back?

Skypup,

I'm the OP.. I appreciate your explanation and not trying to question it... just adding some info from my case to see if it fits in your explanation.

I have my XQ50 trail set to semi-auto calibrate. I thought this meant that it would only NUC when I pushed the NUC button? For the test, after using the remote to take the unit out of standby I'd look and see where the crosshairs were, then I'd NUC, then take the pic. In my case it seemed the image moved between NUC'ings (while the unit was in standby), as I never saw a shift occur between that time of immediately before I NUC'd and right after.

Does it do NUC's I don't know about? Does my situation still fit your explanation?

Thanks

The reticule is always stationary in the image view presented in the imager viewer, it does not move, when adjusting POI you are moving the screen around a couple of pixels at a time.

The entire image is what is moving due to defective NUC algorithm and/or defective Read Out Only circuit chip information sending the info to the image processor for viewing being chopped off prematurely. This drift naturally occurs in all microbolometers and it is what is corrected among many others things when a NUC is performed. The thermoresistors must be corrected once they drift out of homogeneous uniformity via the NUC mathematical algorithm that is mapping and resetting the pixels back to unity.
A drift or shift of only one pixel or more over time is what is causing the image to move which is what is changing the POI, just like what it does when you manually move the entire image to fit onto the crosshairs when you first target the scope, however, unfortunately the image is continuing to drift after you have set POA-POI due to defective firmware programming.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupThe reticule is always stationary in the image view presented in the imager viewer, it does not move, when adjusting POI you are moving the screen around a couple of pixels at a time.

The entire image is what is moving due to defective NUC algorithm and/or defective Read Out Only circuit chip information sending the info to the image processor for viewing being chopped off prematurely. This drift naturally occurs in all microbolometers and it is what is corrected among many others things when a NUC is performed. The thermoresistors must be corrected once they drift out of homogeneous uniformity via the NUC mathematical algorithm that is mapping and resetting the pixels back to unity.
A drift or shift of only one pixel or more over time is what is causing the image to move which is what is changing the POI, just like what it does when you manually move the entire image to fit onto the crosshairs when you first target the scope, however, unfortunately the image is continuing to drift after you have set POA-POI due to defective firmware programming. wow, awesome explination, thanks so much for the right up.this is good information to know regardless of the brand of unit one has.

Thanks again.. So do you think it would be repeatable? Meaning it drifts the same for each temp so that having say a 40 degree zero and a 60 degree zero would be of value? Use the closest one to the ambient temp (after it stabilizes)?

Geeezzz... way to make a guy feel stupid...lol.

Thanks for the info... at least I'm getting an idea of what's going on.

It will get fixed, they just need some time to correct the algorithm and implement it into the firmware for a firmware upgrade.

The people that market and sell Pulsar gear speak English, the people that devise and create the actual units speak Russian, it will take some time.

If all this is truly the reason behind the shift (not doubting SkyPup but just nothing official from Pulsar), then is a person better off having it NUC more or less?

The other curious thing seems to be that if you talk to trusted Pulsar Dealers (not Pulsar itself), they will tell you they have seen very few units with the issue. I realize many hunters may not be in extreme temp situations, and some may not test and will blame themselves on bad shots. Have heard personally from many respected night hunters who run multiple Trails and many have said they had issues with one of three for instance. Same temps, same guns, and get a replacement and it is fine. It almost can't be All Trails.

If you follow the Pulsar Night Vision and Thermal Facebook group and look at all the posts, it seems to occur on the 50 the most, and some 38s and I have yet to see a post on the 30. Some may be related to the number of those units sold, but it sure seems to be more of an issue with the bigger objectives. Same firmware in all of them unless the thermoresistor algorithm adjustments are working for the 30s but not as well for the other units.

Pulsar is a Russian company that just entered the thermal microbolometer marketplace a few years back, they do not have decades of experience producing this stuff, just getting the Vanadium Oxide microbolometers produced in a silicon foundry is a major accomplishment to begin with, however there are lots of other hardware/software issues to fine tune after that.

It is just a matter of time until the hardware and software engineers correct what is causing the internal shift....

SkyPup, et al, is it possible the issue you speak of is a combination of the new heat sink on the Trails and the faulty algorithm not correctly handling the presence of the heat sink and internal battery pack?

The reason I ask is because it seems only the Trail scopes have this problem. I know the old Apex XD50A like I have doesn't have it, and there is not much if anything about the newer Apex models having a problem. Seems strange that the Apex models seem to work fine while the more expensive Trail models have an issue. I think clearly Pulsar brought the Trail models to market before they were thoroughly tested, hence no sound for months, and much like ATN had done with the X-Sights.

It seems like locking the rifle down or even just the scope and taking a picture of the crosshair on a target every 20 minutes or so especially during temp swings would be a better test, as someone has already done, than shooting which includes more variables.

Back