Pulsar XQ50 Trail, moving with temperature, with pics

Originally Posted By: Brad BaranouskasI think on one of the threads Kirsch said something about saving a couple different zeros on the unit for different temperatures, maybe zero one at 25 degree and another one at 35 and then 45, I'm not sure how any you can save but it might be worth trying.
This is what I do. I currently have 2 zeroes and I doubt it will get could enough to need another.

Last edited:
Great informative post. I’ve been wanting to do the exact same test. Now that you have done it, I don’t need to do it. This is exactly what my dealer recommended me doing and sending the results to pulsar. By doing the test your way all variables such as ammunition, powder, barrel, and every other excuse is taken out of the equation.

As far as having different points of impact for different temps, I don’t do it personally. However, this was something pulsar had mentioned to another hunter to try. The only thing that has kind of worked for me is to keep the gun In an unheated garage, sight the Gun in before each hunting trip, and keep the gun in a case in the back of the truck while hunting. As long as the temp doesn’t drop too much during the night, everything is OK. It is a real pain in the butt.

So temperature has been pretty stable outside for past 3 hours. I put it out about 2:45pm and let it sit till about 3:15. Then turned it on and started taking pics every 5-10 minutes for an hour. The concrete pad was in the shade the whole time. Not going to go through the pain of posting pics, but it didn't actually do too bad. Overall in the hour it moved only about an inch or less at 85 yds.

First half hour, very little movement.

About half way through, since there wasn't much movement, I turned on the wifi. Then over the next 30 mins it moved about 1 inch and stabilized again.

So, sounds like if you keep it out of the sun, and in stable temps, it does ok (well my scope did in this test anyway).

Last edited:
Your last pic with the two 2 shot groups is exactly what mine shifts from being in the house to 30 minutes outside on a 45 to 50 degree day.

I think it is the big battery pack gap on the right side and the big heat sink on the opposing side. It expands on the heat sink side and grows in length on that side bending the scope body since it is always warm.

Last edited:
agree

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Your last pic with the two 2 shot groups is exactly what mine shifts from being in the house to 30 minutes outside on a 45 to 50 degree day.

I think it is the big battery pack gap on the right side and the big heat sink on the opposing side. It expands on the heat sink side and grows in length on that side bending the scope body since it is always warm.

Mine will be here Wednesday after having sent it back... If I see any movement I'm getting a refund... I won't accept anything less.

Originally Posted By: JCCinOhioSo temperature has been pretty stable outside for past 3 hours. I put it out about 2:45pm and let it sit till about 3:15. Then turned it on and started taking pics every 5-10 minutes for an hour. The concrete pad was in the shade the whole time. Not going to go through the pain of posting pics, but it didn't actually do too bad. Overall in the hour it moved only about an inch or less at 85 yds.

First half hour, very little movement.

About half way through, since there wasn't much movement, I turned on the wifi. Then over the next 30 mins it moved about 1 inch and stabilized again.

So, sounds like if you keep it out of the sun, and in stable temps, it does ok (well my scope did in this test anyway). well i think it's completely safe to say that this problem is defiantly temperature related. If this is a physical attribute to its design like someone pointed out then every unit should have this problem. If it's a firmware issue, then Bowhunt^^^ above unit should be fixed. Only time will tell

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: southernhoundhnterI have a apex xq50 that should be here any day now. I got to say reading threw these threads are very disappointing to say the least. These scopes cost way to much money to have these types of problems
From what I understand I'm pretty sure the Apex platform does not have this issue.

I am hoping it does not. I will keep a check on it just in case

Is there anyone who has tested their scope and doesn't have this issue with their Trail? I have an XQ38 on order and I knew about this issue but it was my impression that most units were working OK. It's starting to feel like most or all of the Trail scopes have this problem. Those photos are very revealing and I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel my order. I don't want to cancel because the Trails have the features I want but I'm going to feel like an idiot if mine wanders like this.
Pulsar knows about this so surely they aren't all having this issue or they would be setting themselves up for bankruptcy if they keep shipping them and can't fix it.

Originally Posted By: GreyhunterIs there anyone who has tested their scope and doesn't have this issue with their Trail? I have an XQ38 on order and I knew about this issue but it was my impression that most units were working OK. It's starting to feel like most or all of the Trail scopes have this problem. Those photos are very revealing and I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel my order. I don't want to cancel because the Trails have the features I want but I'm going to feel like an idiot if mine wanders like this.
Pulsar knows about this so surely they aren't all having this issue or they would be setting themselves up for bankruptcy if they keep shipping them and can't fix it.

I've read that some 38 owners have had the same problem.

I'll go out on a limb here and say MOST owners don't/won't use their unit as much as I will use mine... as a result, most owners are unaware of the issue. How many owners visit this site and others to learn and discover about the problem...

A 3" shift, which I would not accept, would still be a kill shot if POA was the shoulder area... so with limited use, one would not notice.

I'd be more optimistic if I were told WHY mine had a problem and WHAT was done to correct it... all I really got was "we did a firmware update and we're sending it back to you".

I'm not convinced they know exactly what's wrong or what to do... but they sure as [beeep] won't do R&D on my dime.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: GreyhunterIs there anyone who has tested their scope and doesn't have this issue with their Trail? I have an XQ38 on order and I knew about this issue but it was my impression that most units were working OK. It's starting to feel like most or all of the Trail scopes have this problem. Those photos are very revealing and I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel my order. I don't want to cancel because the Trails have the features I want but I'm going to feel like an idiot if mine wanders like this.

I'll go out on a limb here and say MOST owners don't/won't use their unit as much as I will use mine... as a result, most owners are unaware of the issue. How many owners visit this site and others to learn and discover about the problem...

A 3" shift, which I would not accept, would still be a kill shot if POA was the shoulder area... so with limited use, one would not notice.

I'd be more optimistic if I were told WHY mine had a problem and WHAT was done to correct it... all I really got was "we did a firmware update and we're sending it back to you".

I'm not convinced they know exactly what's wrong or what to do... but they sure as [beeep] won't do R&D on my dime. i agree with the fact that most people probably aren't aware the problem exist. They could also unknowingly be writing it off as their fault of a misplaced shot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: GreyhunterIs there anyone who has tested their scope and doesn't have this issue with their Trail? I have an XQ38 on order and I knew about this issue but it was my impression that most units were working OK. It's starting to feel like most or all of the Trail scopes have this problem. Those photos are very revealing and I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel my order. I don't want to cancel because the Trails have the features I want but I'm going to feel like an idiot if mine wanders like this.

I'm not convinced they know exactly what's wrong or what to do... but they sure as [beeep] won't do R&D on my dime. i agree with the fact that most people probably aren't aware the problem exist. They could also unknowingly be writing it off as their fault fault of a misplaced shot.

Thankfully my job has me at the range a lot... in fact, all next week I'll be at the range, so putting mine through some use won't be a problem.

Going to start early in the am, and then see as the day goes as temps rise.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: GreyhunterIs there anyone who has tested their scope and doesn't have this issue with their Trail? I have an XQ38 on order and I knew about this issue but it was my impression that most units were working OK. It's starting to feel like most or all of the Trail scopes have this problem. Those photos are very revealing and I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel my order. I don't want to cancel because the Trails have the features I want but I'm going to feel like an idiot if mine wanders like this.

I'm not convinced they know exactly what's wrong or what to do... but they sure as [beeep] won't do R&D on my dime. i agree with the fact that most people probably aren't aware the problem exist. They could also unknowingly be writing it off as their fault of a misplaced shot.

This is what concerns me, the possibility that they all have this problem and most people just don't notice it, and Pulsar doesn't know how to fix it. It would be nice to hear a few people say they have tried this test and everything was fine.

I’ll test mine this evening. And report back ASAP. I have a trail xp50 and have not noticed any problems other than some creep (an inch or so) after riding around with tha rifle on the back seat of the truck for a couple weeks. I will try to lock the rifle down as solid as possible in give it a shot

I'm going to try a shooting test here in a few.. I have 12 Hornady Varmint Express that I know shoot better than 3/4 moa from my rifle. I won't change the x/y, shoot one every 20 mins or so, and see what happens.

Edit: Going to have to wait on this.. Winds picked up to 20mph, and the sun is right to my back so I'm getting no thermal contrast between my aim point (al foil) and the paper..

Last edited:
Just sent mine in a week ago (XP50) for poi shift that seemed to keep occurring after I first got it awhile ago. Been using it as they had no replacements till lately and it seemed to be holding poi and I have been killing coyotes with it. Haven't scrutinized it that closely though as thought the poi shift was due to programing as I have been reading and not temperature differences.

Thought I'ld call Sellmark on this and spoke to tech support and see if I could get any info. Probably too new on this issue if it is one. Passed along that this thread had started on PM with a pretty good trial set up with a mounted scope and described it. Person in tech support said was not aware and would probably be above his pay grade at this point/time. All I could find out.

Last edited:
Back