Pulsar XQ50 Trail, moving with temperature, with pics

Originally Posted By: case-nhThought I'ld call Sellmark on this and spoke to tech support and see if I could get any info.... Person in tech support said was not aware and would probably be above his pay grade at this point/time.

You spoke to someone in Tach support at Sellmark and were told they were unaware of POI shifts?

Guy I talked to at Sellmark said there is a problem, they are aware of it and there is no fix yet. He flat out said if anyone says there is no poi issue then they are flat out lying lol.

I have pics of my groups after shooting at room temp then freezing, then 30 minutes outside in 45 degrees after freezing. I have no idea how to post pic though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223 I have no idea how to post pic though.

Don't take this the wrong way, you seem like a pretty bright guy. I posted some pictures for you a year ago or so. You've posted a few videos. If you can hold a mouse in your hand you can post pics.

Here's a link

https://www.flickr.com/

Here's a couple threads

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...2949&page=1

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...rue#Post3078827

If you want PM me your number or ask for mine, you might even be in my phone from when you sent me the bobcat pics, I'll walk you through it.

Last edited:
I was referring to the temperature poi shifts. Thought that would have been clear being posted in this thread and referring to the mounted scope.The poi shifts that have been occurring before this recent revelation of temperature poi shifts is what I was referring to.

Last edited:
Pulsar should be paying yall to be doing this!!!!! You buy something for $4k-$5k and you spend all your time troubleshooting the problem, not to mention your doing the field testing for them, since obviously they didn't.

Originally Posted By: Brad BaranouskasPulsar should be paying yall to be doing this!!!!! You buy something for $4k-$5k and you spend all your time troubleshooting the problem, not to mention your doing the field testing for them, since obviously they didn't. Although this is true, its better than just sitting on ones hands complaining and not helping to resolve the issue. I have no doubt Pulsar wants this problem resolved, as do the owners of these expensive units. The quicker Pulsar can identifiy the problem, the quicker they can try to resolve it. Which will make all parties happy, including me.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Brad BaranouskasPulsar should be paying yall to be doing this!!!!! You buy something for $4k-$5k and you spend all your time troubleshooting the problem, not to mention your doing the field testing for them, since obviously they didn't. Although this is true, its better than just sitting on ones hands complaining and not helping to resolve the issue. I have no doubt Pulsar wants this problem resolved, as do the owners of these expensive units. The quicker Pulsar can identifiy the problem, the quicker they can try to resolve it. Which will make all parties happy, including me.

The ONLY thing that has me keeping calm is how nice everyone involved has been... Sellmark, NightGoggles, TNVC, have all been very patient and helpful.

JCCinOhio, just one question, what did you have the scope mounted on? Tripod, rifle set in something? That is the only other variable in your trial except wind. Assuming calm conditions?

I submitted some information to Todd to see if he noticed any thing concerning the Pulsar problems this was what I got from him.
15rmof9.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Catdog1I submitted some information to Todd to see if he noticed any thing concerning the Pulsar problems this was what I got from him.
15rmof9.png

I'll be nice about this with my reply... I'm not pulling my shots and my temp changes are not extreme.

My pics and the others posted here speak volumes as to the problem being very real... and not because people are "pulling shots".

I hope he is right about the update fixing the problem... if it doesn't, I see this as having the potential to get nasty fast, especially when some of us start demanding a refund vs. another "update" or replacement unit.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: Catdog1I submitted some information to Todd to see if he noticed any thing concerning the Pulsar problems this was what I got from him.
15rmof9.png

I'll be nice about this with my reply... I'm not pulling my shots and my temp changes are not extreme.

My pics and the others posted here speak volumes as to the problem being very real... and not because people are "pulling shots".

I hope he is right about the update fixing the problem... if it doesn't, I see this as having the potential to get nasty fast, especially when some of us start demanding a refund vs. another "update" or replacement unit.

i agree. I told him about the evidence of photos showing the movement. And i also told him i disagreed with his opinion. In a nice way mind u. I do value his opinion simply because he has alot of time clocked behind thermal scopes.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: Catdog1I submitted some information to Todd to see if he noticed any thing concerning the Pulsar problems this was what I got from him.
15rmof9.png

i agree. I told him about the evidence of photos showing the movement. And i also told him i disagreed with his opinion. In a nice way mind u. I do value his opinion simply because he has alot of time clocked behind thermal scopes.

I have to mind my P's & Q's when discussing this issue as it has been a BIG source of aggravation for me.

I've lost valuable night hunting time for areas a thermal is needed, expended two boxes of ammo messing with zero, re-zero, etc., had to ship it back, wait, then I'll have to come home early from work to make sure I'm here when it gets delivered (signature required or it goes to the Hub to be picked up later), will have to re-zero when I get it, then spend several days or a couple weeks wasting more ammo to BE SURE whether or not there is still a problem.

No... for me, this is far from being over.

Im not sure who Todd is but I have a word or two for him if he thinks i pulling shots off of my shooting bags. If this isn't fixed nasty won't properly describe the words I will have for folks in involved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Im not sure who Todd is but I have a word or two for him if he thinks i pulling shots off of my shooting bags. If this isn't fixed nasty won't properly describe the words I will have for folks in involved. when is ur unit do to return from pulsar?

So I get sub .75 moa with the ammo I'm using and this gun.. that means about 3/4" groups at 100, and I'm getting less than 1.25" groups at my 185yd target. This target is at 75 yds.. so should be looking at about 1/2" group. Took the gun out of the house and it read 73 degrees on the ir thermometer for the first shot. It was from 44 to 40 degrees outside for the whole test, shots following the first shot were as it cooled. I was aiming at the upper right tin foil.. the squares you can make out are 2.5".. so you can see it dropped about 2.5" (at 75 yds!) in the first half hour. I felt like I pulled #4 low and I thought a smidge left, so shot #5 pretty soon after. It looked like it stabilized pretty good with 3, 5, 6, 7, & 8 being within an inch. So I turned it off and waited an hour then shot #9. It was in the shade the whole time, but #9 was after dark. Not sure what caused it to go off to the right. Wife came home sick, so test over..

Added: It's not sighted in for this ammo.. I was using it for the test since I only had 12 left..

28783138_1953071044735406_2794559782978060288_n_zpsmgnhso1v.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: varminter .223Im not sure who Todd is but I have a word or two for him if he thinks i pulling shots off of my shooting bags. If this isn't fixed nasty won't properly describe the words I will have for folks in involved. when is ur unit do to return from pulsar?
I was told there was no fix yet so I haven't sent mine in yet. Our night season ends 3-15.

Originally Posted By: JCCinOhioSo I get sub .75 moa with the ammo I'm using and this gun.. that means about 3/4" groups at 100, and I'm getting less than 1.25" groups at my 185yd target. This target is at 75 yds.. so should be looking at about 1/2" group. Took the gun out and it read 73 degrees on the ir thermometer. It was from 44 to 40 degrees outside for the whole test. I was aiming at the upper right tin foil.. the squares you can make out are 2.5".. so you can see it dropped about 2.5" (at 75 yds!) in the first half hour. I felt like I pulled #4 low and I thought a smidge left, so shot #5 pretty soon after. It looked like it stabilized pretty good with 3, 5, 6, 7, & 8 being within an inch. So I turned it off and waited an hour then shot #9. It was in the shade the whole time, but #9 was after dark. Not sure what caused it to go off to the right. Wife came home sick, so test over..

28783138_1953071044735406_2794559782978060288_n_zpsmgnhso1v.jpg
why is the ir therm reading so much different than what the actual temp is?

I took it out of the house... from warm house (73 degrees) to outside (44-40 degrees), so first shot was with it warm, the following were as it cooled. I edited the post to make it clearer.

Last edited:
Back