Pressured Coyotes Tips/Tricks

Hey guys I appreciate the invites, seriously!

With that being said, I believe there to be some on this site that would like to mistake me for a coyote.

So, would a 5’11”, brown eye, brown haired, handsome tall drink of water look to be a coyote to you?

Please choose from one of the following:

A) Most Definitely
B) Sort Of
C) Highly Unlikely
D) Not At All

Please post responses.

Heads up guys. I’m heading out Wendsday night and hunting all weekend. I’m going to try your sets on different land too. Not just that pressured area. I’ll keep doing what I have till I drop a yote on one of your sets. We’ve been having some windy and nasty weather here so I haven’t been out since last time.

I’ll be starting with Plotboss’s set on Wednesday. Always weather permitting though.

Mike

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: RedfrogSetup as close as you can to your truck so you aren't busted waking in. They can hear tires on gravel for a couple miles ....really...so when you stop they already know where you are. Walking a half mile and then assessing the "best" spot to set up only makes their job easier. Sneak in and call. They will come'

That’s good advice Red. Not traveling too far in. The more you walk the more of your scent is getting dispersed.

Wait a sec. I'm one of the newbies here. I've been watching this thread mainly because I think all of the suggestions are invaluable. But... I thought the hike in and/or to set-up so they can't see your truck was a necessity for pressured predators? Or did I read that in a previous thread incorrectly?

Quote:Wait a sec. I'm one of the newbies here. I've been watching this thread mainly because I think all of the suggestions are invaluable. But... I thought the hike in and/or to set-up so they can't see your truck was a necessity for pressured predators? Or did I read that in a previous thread incorrectly?

This is typically correct as coyotes relate vehicles to guns shooting at them and or hunters in the area.
On the other hand I am often restricted to the truck and have spent a great deal of time figuring out how to make it work, and I succeed once in a while.
Hiking in for me has been primarily to get away from the most pressured approaches or the road. This has really paid off for me.

Originally Posted By: AZHikerOriginally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: RedfrogSetup as close as you can to your truck so you aren't busted waking in. They can hear tires on gravel for a couple miles ....really...so when you stop they already know where you are. Walking a half mile and then assessing the "best" spot to set up only makes their job easier. Sneak in and call. They will come'

That’s good advice Red. Not traveling too far in. The more you walk the more of your scent is getting dispersed.

Wait a sec. I'm one of the newbies here. I've been watching this thread mainly because I think all of the suggestions are invaluable. But... I thought the hike in and/or to set-up so they can't see your truck was a necessity for pressured predators? Or did I read that in a previous thread incorrectly?

I don’t mean to speak for him, but I’m almost certain he means walk in far enough away from the truck, but don’t go crazy walking in a long distance. Call them to you. Depending on the terrain of the set, there may be ways to hide the truck, also.

But yes, you do not want your vehicle exposed.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: Ochocobull Me waiting on replies

I’m lost my brother??

Supposed to be a .gif of a guy eating popcorn but evidently it failed in epic proportions. Sorry about that. I tried to be funny and it backfired. I do love the post and think it is a great idea.

Originally Posted By: OchocobullOriginally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: Ochocobull Me waiting on replies

I’m lost my brother??

Supposed to be a .gif of a guy eating popcorn but evidently it failed in epic proportions. Sorry about that. I tried to be funny and it backfired. I do love the post and think it is a great idea.

Yeah your post went to an article on President Trump. Haha!

Yes sir. There is much wisdom in this thread!

That is the absolute truth, you could write a book on great ideas from this post. I liked the way posed the original question in a competition format. Fun to read and get lots of great ideas. Please keep up the good work.

I haven't heard anybody mention this one yet, but my partner and I have used this trick to great effect many many times:

Back 18-20 years ago I noticed a stretch of lonely highway in the desert that had blood splats from jacks getting hit but you rarely ever saw the jack. It dawned on me that coyotes were making a living cruising up and down these roadways and picking up road hit.

So what we started doing was having the driver slow down to a stop and the passenger would quickly bail out and hide in the ditch. The vehicle would quickly depart. After a few minutes the passenger side hunter would get out of the roadway (for legality sake) and wait until the next car came by. As soon as it did passenger hunter would mimic the road hit bunny and scream his lungs out for a couple of minutes and then wait.

Guys, this has worked amazingly well over the years. Incidentally, the driver would always just continue down the road for another couple of miles and make a stand and then come back to pick up passenger partner when he was done. The real good part of this is you can access some real good spots where normally parking your rig will give you up.

Last edited:
Hey Beaver, I’ve heard of something similar. Can’t remember the source but I believe someone in Michigan told me about it.

I guess a guy was taking a small piece of sheet metal and rubber mallet with him on his hunts. Supposedly, what he would do is set up sort of close to a road. When a car would go by, he would take and hit that piece of sheet metal with the rubber mallet, and then start playing deer distress on the e-caller. Now this is all here say, but I guess the guy would get coyote doing this.

I’m yet to try this trick. Maybe one day.

Update:

I hunted last night but did not get to use Plotboss’s set. I was hunting with a friend on some private land that he acquired through one of his friends. Being that I was an invited guest on this land, I didn’t feel right asking to do any of the calling.

I’ll be getting out soon and update the thread as I do.

Been elk hunting last 2 days, and found a coyote funnel. Couldn't put a boot down without stepping on 3 tracks. Was really surprised due to it being public access and numerous elk and deer hunters this season. Guess you find pearls in all kinds of oysters.
Did see 9 bulls yesterday and 2 repeat visitors today. Only shooter was late last evening, and a complete surprise has he was out on the prairie, pretty sure it was the big 5x5 I saw in early October.
I guess all you can do is keep trying, and look in that out of the way spot you haven't looked before

Originally Posted By: borkonYou may have already screwed the pooch by over calling!

Different areas that are miles apart?

Last set produced nothing. Wind is crazy and I’m not going back out until we get a change of weather. I may wait until the deer hunters are out of the woods too, so I can day hunt.

Back