Pressured Coyotes Tips/Tricks

This set produced two sets of eyes. I believe they were coyote but not 100% sure. I was set up on the edge of a tree line, with the wind blowing out of the trees into an open field. Something spooked them, not sure what. There is a house close by which was right behind them.

I actually was able to get the cat yowling down perfectly, after watching a YouTube video on in real quick. I used one of Brian Comb’s Crooked Creek Calls which he tuned very high for me. Like I said, it worked like a charm and reproduced the sound perfectly. I would blow into the call and open and close my hand, while blowing at a even pace. I’ll be using this call again in the future. Sounds great and it’s something I don’t think they hear from other yote hunters. Thanks!

That’s a wrap for tonight. We are getting rain now. I’ll continue with the next set tomorrow night!

A winner for sure, cat! Never tried the kitten but the nuthatch is a winner where I hunt. David (Venatic) put me onto the nuthatch when I was having trouble with edumakated coyotes a few years back. By the way, where is he; miss his posts.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: masshunterJust want to second AWS on sitting silent, its worked for me, and I would push it to an hr.

I will. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogI think often callers overthink this business. It's calling coyotes. You make a sound and they come to it and you kill them. Easy Peasy.

Keep it simple you just have to motivate them. Money, Sex. food, or beer work for me. Now they don;t have pockets for money and they don't drink beer, so that leaves ............sex and food.

Setup as close as you can to your truck so you aren't busted waking in. They can hear tires on gravel for a couple miles ....really...so when you stop they already know where you are. Walking a half mile and then assessing the "best" spot to set up only makes their job easier. Sneak in and call. They will come'

That’s good advice Red. Not traveling too far in. The more you walk the more of your scent is getting dispersed.

Originally Posted By: catbegoneIf you use nutty nuthatch for 8 min and then kitten distress you will kill coyotes

That’s a good one. My buddy uses it a lot I think. I’ll have to see about getting that on the caller. Thanks!

Hitting on them night after night is pretty self defeating. It looks like you called them into range.

Sitting and watching after the call stops is a daytime thing and I'd want a rifle, as they just might sneak in for a look.

Originally Posted By: AWSHitting on them night after night is pretty self defeating. It looks like you called them into range.

Sitting and watching after the call stops is a daytime thing and I'd want a rifle, as they just might sneak in for a look.

I have busted a number of coyotes after shutting off the call. Usually just getting a little extra rest myself and a curious cautious coyote will show up and most times it is a mature coyote.
All my hunting is daylight when able to use the scope.

Originally Posted By: AWSHitting on them night after night is pretty self defeating. It looks like you called them into range.

Like I mentioned, I’m not sure they were coyote. They were a bit of a ways off, and no, they were far from being into range. Had a shotgun.

I’m not hunting ‘those spots’ during the day right now. Too many deer hunters.

The land is chopped up a bit and there is plenty of it. I’m moving a good distance from set to set. I’m no expert, but I’m no idiot either.

For the brief period I had a foxpro the nutty hatch was the only call that brought in a dog so I’d go with that suggestion stated above. Also since coyotes are so curious and it’s deer season, walk in a little ways at dusk, take a shot, play a wounded fawn/deer 15-20 minutes later, and wait. Coyotes hit every gut pile here within hours and will know it’s a free meal. Playing like a hunter shot something and it’s slowing dying can bring em in. Lots of people lose their meat to coyotes getting in their first. All the daytime activity will have them nocturnal and searching for easy meals. They know hunters aren’t out in the dark too.

Originally Posted By: HalbachFor the brief period I had a foxpro the nutty hatch was the only call that brought in a dog so I’d go with that suggestion stated above. Also since coyotes are so curious and it’s deer season, walk in a little ways at dusk, take a shot, play a wounded fawn/deer 15-20 minutes later, and wait. Coyotes hit every gut pile here within hours and will know it’s a free meal. Playing like a hunter shot something and it’s slowing dying can bring em in. Lots of people lose their meat to coyotes getting in their first. All the daytime activity will have them nocturnal and searching for easy meals. They know hunters aren’t out in the dark too.

I’ve heard of people doing this before. Some have a recording of a gunshot on their caller and follow it up with deer distress. Pretty genius really!!

I'll save you some trouble, come out to Wyoming. Coyotes everywhere, and some ain't real smart. I'm forever shooting them while they watch my dogs run around

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: WyYoteKillerI'll save you some trouble, come out to Wyoming. Coyotes everywhere, and some ain't real smart. I'm forever shooting them while they watch my dogs run around

Is this an invite?

There is always a standing invitation to the PM Hunt & Convention, they always pick a spot with lots of huntable coyotes. We hunted six days just until noon and called in 30. Great meals and comradery.

Raining non-stop here all day. I won’t be getting out tonight. I will be going out tomorrow evening for a few short sets if the rain stops.

if you can get a long recording for the e-caller, try chickens clucking & crowing a bit. They know chickens are dumb & taste good and i can almost guarantee nobody's using it.

or maybe a recording of a young lamb in distress?

Last edited:
You want an invite. Come to Montana, I’ve got 16 million acres to hunt on and great and legal tips I can’t tell you in an open forum.

Back