Pressured Coyotes Tips/Tricks

I have hunted some of the most pressured coyotes in the state most of my life.
The most frequent success for me comes by using vocals and most importantly with an approach from a direction that is not typical. Like behind them, not from the road or a usual entrance route.
I have always scored more with hand calls in these instances.
In places where there is sage it has a strong odor, so I tear off some rolling it in my hands like there was a scuffle.
These tactics have brought coyotes literally into my lap and silently appearing as close as 18" with teeth bared.
Oh I almost always face downwind and some times back into a bush.

I would. Everyone has an electronic call, I love them but in areas I know get more pressure I leave it in my truck. If I win the card just give it to Slick if he can prove the bacon theory lol

Pretty sneaky, slick! Posting a link to a classified document:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...9285&page=1

Or is this one of Hillary's hammer deleted emails.....or maybe both?
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Tripod is seventh with keep off trails and roads during approach. Stay off any typical routes. Hand calls only and make some noise with brush while calling. Face downwind. Back to something that is blocking wind.

** I’ve seen a guy do this when calling crows. He would pick up a twig, make some crow calls and distress calls then start hitting the brush with it.

Thanks I’ll give it a go!!

Last edited:
Hey how about just one more then we’ll stop the responses? I think 8 is good.

Unless Slick can get that cooking bacon sound thread up. Lol

With smart coyotes getting to your stand in silence and no movement on the stand go a long way. Wet leaves and soft snow are you friends, though with soft snow it is very hard to tell what is under it when putting your foot down..

We hunted a very heavily hunted area after a crusty snow and never saw a coyote the first three days. We started hunting the same stands over and walked in silently placing our feet in our old prints and killed six in the next three days.

You can also try just shutting off the caller and sitting there for a half hour and see if they come to investigate. It is suprising the number of coyotes I've seen when going back to a stand to get something I forgot.

If you can get them to light up and you have silent conditions there is a good chance if your fieldcrafts are good of circling down wind of them and making a sneak on the while they consentrate on the running caller.

Hunting smart coyotes are fun and it makes you think alot about what you've done wrong.

Last edited:
Ok. AWS is eighth with 1/2 hour of silence. If they open up try to circle and sneak up on them, leaving he digital caller running.
That’s a wrap. I won’t be adding anymore but feel free to continue to add your tips/tricks if you want.

Does anyone know if a CS24C will continue to play if the remote and caller are out of range. Say you have a call playing and walk out of range with the remote. Will the call continue to play?

AWS how long should I call for before going into silence? Distress or vocals or both?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterI would. Everyone has an electronic call, I love them but in areas I know get more pressure I leave it in my truck. If I win the card just give it to Slick if he can prove the bacon theory lol

Ok. Got it.

I was having the same issue with some coyotes that were worked a lot. A buddy from Wyoming came to visit and he had a recording of about 10 min of a box of newborn kittens (house cat)that he recorded at his girlfriends house when her daughters cat had kittens...he plugged that into my caller and we shot 3 coyotes in 2 sets. The coyotes came in with crazy eyes and ready to eat.

He says it will do the same to Bobcats, only less frenzy.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: IamjuggernautIf you have a foxpro try the sound red bellied woodpecker #1

Someone already suggested using Woodpecker but thanks for the response!

I have tried decoys during the day. But, I think these yotes are strictly nocturnal, and I’m not sure if a decoy would work at night?

It may work if you put it in some tall grass and it makes a rustling sounds

Hey guys, I have the 8 suggestions. I will start at #1 and work up every set. I’m starting tonight and will keep this thread updated. Thanks again.

If I drop one while on ‘your set’, $50 is yours!

Pressured Yotes

1. WyYoteKiller: Bird Distress/Woodpecker/Fox distress

2. mhammer: Skip the distress and use coyote vocals only. Create a conversation, even if it's with yourself (ie, no response from the coyotes). Move that conversation into a fight sound and end it with pup distress.

3. Woltrapper: Try house cat yowling. I have had dogs my entire life, and every time they hear a cat fight, they have erupted instantly, even if they had never heard a cat before. I use mouth calls, and am working on that sound right now.

4. Plotboss: Be careful with the volume, set up 50yds down wind of your caller but make sure you can still see the caller and try grey squirrel distress. That sound has been killer for me in the timber!

5. Iamjuggernaut: Sent via private message.

6. West.Mass.Hunter: Call 3 or 4 minutes at a time with equal amount of silence if not more. Hand calls only!!

7. Tripod: The most frequent success for me comes by using vocals and most importantly with an approach from a direction that is not typical. Like behind them, not from the road or a usual entrance route.
I have always scored more with hand calls in these instances.
In places where there is sage it has a strong odor, so I tear off some rolling it in my hands like there was a scuffle.
These tactics have brought coyotes literally into my lap and silently appearing as close as 18" with teeth bared.
Oh I almost always face downwind and some times back into a bush.

8. AWS: With smart coyotes getting to your stand in silence and no movement on the stand go a long way. Wet leaves and soft snow are you friends, though with soft snow it is very hard to tell what is under it when putting your foot down..

We hunted a very heavily hunted area after a crusty snow and never saw a coyote the first three days. We started hunting the same stands over and walked in silently placing our feet in our old prints and killed six in the next three days.

You can also try just shutting off the caller and sitting there for a half hour and see if they come to investigate. It is suprising the number of coyotes I've seen when going back to a stand to get something I forgot.

If you can get them to light up and you have silent conditions there is a good chance if your fieldcrafts are good of circling down wind of them and making a sneak on the while they consentrate on the running caller.

Hunting smart coyotes are fun and it makes you think alot about what you've done wrong.

Alright guys I’m at the first set, starting with WyYoteKiller’s set. It’s dry here, about 40 degrees and a sse wind at 9mph. Pressure is 29.9.

I think often callers overthink this business. It's calling coyotes. You make a sound and they come to it and you kill them. Easy Peasy.

Keep it simple you just have to motivate them. Money, Sex. food, or beer work for me. Now they don;t have pockets for money and they don't drink beer, so that leaves ............sex and food.

Setup as close as you can to your truck so you aren't busted waking in. They can hear tires on gravel for a couple miles ....really...so when you stop they already know where you are. Walking a half mile and then assessing the "best" spot to set up only makes their job easier. Sneak in and call. They will come'

Have you thought about trying just crow or magpie mobbing sounds by themselves or with one short sequence of snowshoe hare or baby porcupine mixed in.

Originally Posted By: lowtempguruHave you thought about trying just crow or magpie mobbing sounds by themselves or with one short sequence of snowshoe hare or baby porcupine mixed in.

I have not. But I won’t be trying it until someone’s set produces a yote first. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Back