Obama on guns

Stu, living on a military installation I have to register all firearms that I choose to carry onto the installation and house in my residence. I am required to maintain all weapons in a safe and seperated from any ammunition. I must also carry my registration paper work anytime I am traveling with said firearms. I am also subject to home inspection at any given time to ensure I am abiding by the post regulation. Yes being in the military, I forfeited my rights to certain freedoms and am held to higher standards.

Is it restrictive? I dont think so. Is it a violation of my second ammendment right? I dont think so.

I reload so I must therefore maintain my powders and primers in a locked container while not reloading. Is it restrictive? A little bit, more of an annoyance when Im done I have to take one more step and lock up my powder.

In my mind that is a common sense approach. That simple regulation is not very cumbersome at all. And now that Im a wiser adult, if I walked into a friends home and saw guns laying all over the place I, like my friends before who corrected me, would probably say something if I saw little ones around, or teenagers even.

I dont side with most Obama's voting habits on second ammendment legislation. I dont care to venture to putting words in his mouth as to what he means by common sense measures, but I know what it means to me and Im not pulling my hair out like most when I hear it. Heck I already live with the above regulations. I ran across that segment of a group who were reacting the opposite to what is common when reading about Obama's views on the issue.

Mspingy, Im sorry you feel that way. Maybe you can initiate my getting fired based on political differences.

However, you, by enlisting, voluntarily sacrificed some of your rights. Your life is governed by the UCMJ, not the constitution & BOR.

I'm no longer in the service & i no longer have to accept such additional restrictions on my life.

And you probably are responsible with your firearms to. Is the next guy? Some how some way bone headed thugs end up with our guns. Causing a bad light to be shone on you and I law biding citizens. And causing bills to ever enter onto the house floor.

the hardest part of being free is allowing your neighbor to be free.

What is approppriate for a military base is not necessarily appropriate for the population at large.

I once swore the oath & wore the uniform. Was subject to the decree of a base commander.

Now I am not. As a civilian who is also a veteran, I do not intend to be so again.

Quote:

In my mind that is a common sense approach. That simple regulation is not very cumbersome at all. And now that Im a wiser adult, if I walked into a friends home and saw guns laying all over the place I, like my friends before who corrected me, would probably say something if I saw little ones around, or teenagers even.

So your firearms are locked away, mine aren't (as I've already stated). Both of our houses get broken into while we are sleeping. How long will it take you to access those firearms? How long will it take for the Base Police to arrive to your house? How big is the base you are stationed on?

I guarantee that I will have my .45 in my hand and ready to shoot in mere moments. I guarantee that your Base Police will arrive to your house quicker than my civilian counterparts will get here. I live in a small city of about 20k people, it takes about five minutes to travel from one side to the other. Yet it takes the local PD about 25 minutes to respond to any call reported.

You might be ok with living with the restrictions that were a condition of your enlistment. I lived under those same restrictions myself, voluntarily, but never want to again. I will not hand over my right to defend my family from ANY threat that comes our way.

I am not for in home inspections as I feel it violates privacy. I was relaying what I have to go through which many members here would probably have an aneurysm and see it as an infringement on their 2nd amendment.

I am for gun owners taking responsibilty of their firearms. In the event law enforcement is called to the scene and see an arsenal lying everywhere, the owner should be held liable for neglecting to secure his firearms by a simple citation.

I feel its a state issue as states like Montana with low populations experience lower crime rates than say CA.

Well savage I see your self defense issue, but I am not entitled to defend myself on post by way of storing a firearm under the matress.

Im not arguing a hidden (singular) firearm for self defense. Away from childrens reach. In the end if an accident was to take place it would all get investigated and the owner would be tried based on the situation. Given the situation that he had his firearm(s) unsecure might lead to an unfavorable verdict.

I see him as a threat Stu but being honest I dont see much he can do in the way of taking our guns away. Its a scare tactic put on every single election. Guns this and guns that, its about all the Republicans have going for them right now.

So Stu,

You got those girls from the View lined up as guest-moderators next week? This might be the most retarded BS I have been exposed to in a long time. I must stop commenting now before I say something I'll regret. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

you really don't? With a possible if not likely filibuster proof senate you really don't see a threat to your rights?

Ok Stu you have me running scared. What do I do, what do I do?

I know Ill just vote on the gun issue alone and thatll solve everything else.

Totch my feelings also regarding 90% of the other issues. Now you see why I cringe when nothing comes from Palin but her good looks. Oh and McCain, well he's got that hotty Sarah Palin. Makes me wonder what we are really voting for and about. Guns and chicks. (Although AGAIN guns arent going anywhere).

with the dems, particularly obama, saying they want to spend more than the gop has, what exactly is it you're hanging your hopes on?

The Bush administration has failed us miserably and the GOP couldn’t come up with a viable ticket for this election. It’s really as simple as that. The GOP is imploding and becoming more desperate day by day. They are fighting to hold their base and failing to attract independents.

Rimmy,

How did I know that you'd show up right in the middle of this? Tommy, your reinforcements from the left are here.

Ahhh, but see, now the Dems' friends would find gainful employ in the service of the Government. New jobs would be created instantly from the ground pounders going door to door inspecting and confiscating, to the administrative and oversite committee's. More 'distribution of wealth', it's a win-win situation for someone (just not me).

I don't base my vote on ANY one issue alone EVER. But the gun issue is one that is a hot topic to me. Once you start to lose something that is rightfully yours, it's gonna be darn hard to get that back.

I can say right now, without a doubt, that if B.O. is elected our next Pres. I will be preparing for my life of crime. That is because I will find someway, somehow, somewhere to stash at least one of my firearms and ammunition so when they do come around knocking on my door they won't get them all...

Something that I don't know if it's been a topic around here or not (as I went AWOL for several months) is the southern border. I can tell you that the border town that is ~20 miles to my south, has NO law enforcement in it at this moment. The Mexican Army has an encampment just south of the village but they do not want to patrol at night. There have been about 200 shootings since the first of the year (many fatal) in a community with a population of about 7000 at the turn of the century... There is fully automatic gun fire EVERY night. The streets are almost empty during the day. The border town across from El Paso is in much the same state...

I know that some here may call me paranoid (frankly I don't care). If we lose our rights to own and use our firearms, do you really think the law enforcement (Local Sheriff, PD, State Police, Border Patrol) combined could hold off an invasion of drug cartel members? I don't want to find out... I for one feel that they aren't pushing over any worse than they try now, because they know that our citizens are able to defend themselves.

It goes back to "if bad guy McFly knows you're unarmed then you're now a victim", "if same bad guy McFly thinks you may be armed, now he's got to ask himself if he can outshoot you or not, probably not worth the risk".

This country can't afford to get any softer than it has been getting over the years. The 'Kinder/Gentler' Government is going to get us all killed one of these days.

Quote:
Lets start with the unthinkable logistics involved in policing up everyones guns. A darn near impossible task.

Tell that to the Canadians and the Aussies.

Historically, tyrants from Hitler to Stalin have had no trouble taking firearms.

Here in the US the Democrats favorite tactic is to regulate them out of existence over time, as in NYC, DC, etc.

Your man Obama will appoint anti-gun judges who WILL overturn Heller the same way other correctly decided cases have been overturned by the liberal justices.

Obama has voted against or heavily criticized ALL of the pro-Heller justices.

BTW, Palin is the most popular governor in the US and has managed an extremely important and complex state. Alaskans know how well she has led them and they love her. Obama and Biden haven't managed so much as lemonade stands and are part of a body with lower approval ratings than even Bush. She and Todd have also owned and operated small businesses, unlike Obama and Biden who have never signed the front of a paycheck, all they have ever done is to hassle and look down their elitist noses at the people who create jobs.

Democrat presidents combined with super majorities in Congress have brought us the Great Depression and the horrible Great Society, but never anything but pain, historically. Never ever.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. A government has NEVER taxed itself into prosperity, yet that is exactly what Obama's supporters think will magically happen now, along with growing the size of government via expanding the welfare state.

Obama and Biden play to the worst in people: Ignorance of history, class envy, covertness, selfishness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:
Rimmy,

How did I know that you'd show up right in the middle of this? Tommy, your reinforcements from the left are here.

I see you’re still hung up on the either/or syndrome. In your world anyone who doesn’t agree with everything you say must be a leftist. Maybe in time you will learn that there is a center, a group that agrees with you on some issues and disagrees with you on others.

Back