NYS Coyote Hunters

Well 10 stands total and nothing to show for it. Yote28 and I put in some solo stands before hooking up at dusk and getting in 7 more. One was real short because the d+mned wind was gusting to 35+ and almost blew us away, but we kept at it. Last stand was semi-sheltered and I had a good feeling, but feelings don't=shots. Go get em guys. Oh, my 60 lb'er broke his chain and is loose!! Gonna have to go get him back this morning.....

RH good to hear from you buddy ! Hope to see you there ! well after a long season I finally connected on some yotes! My first DOUBLE!!!Today was the craziest day in the yote woods . first set , five minutes into it I see 2 yotes ripping through this apple orchard parallel to me .the only problem was between them and me was an extensive deer fence that blocked them from coming closer . as I was watching them heading for the fence edge , my buddy that was fifty or so yards away watching the downwind side shoots three times . 45lb male

we than moved about 6 or 700 yds and started the second set . no more than 10 minutes into it I look to my left and see a yote with a friend about 60 yds away . hit the first one square in the head .the second one took of through some thick stuff at full speed . did a couple WOOFS and managed to stop it about 80 or so yards out . by luck it stopped in the only clearing and I was able to get a good clean shot . 41LB and 46LB male ! thought it was strange to get two males hanging out together like that . 2 sets ..5 called and 3 killed . yesterday 4 sets one winded us just as I was about to make a shot and doubled back where it came from .

If you haven't heard or seen it , the largest yote for the contest so far is 7O POUNDS . I saw this thing today , its a monster ... I thought maybe you owed on your promise of coyotezilla freebm ! was a little disapointed to hear a houndsmen got it . I figure whoever it is probably spent the money already and wouldn't blame him if he did . oh well , to me the money has nothing to do with it . I had an awesome day ! The wind was perfect , the sun at our backs and had yotes coming in in droves ! coyote hunter heaven ... Wish The Same to you guys.

Great job swampwalker!!! I have had a horrible weekend soo far. I must be doing something wrong lol I havent seen a yote in like a month and a half! Hopefully tomorrow morning will bring better luck. Congrads again!!!

Good job on the coyotes! It was good to see you at the dinner today and glad to hear you're having some luck. You definitely have some exciting stories to tell. I'm hoping to get out some more before the season ends and hope to connect. Keep in touch.

Also, nice meeting you Razorsedge.

Congrats Swamp. way to get em.

How about some details on the hunt. Didn't make the dinner. I was exhausted and my partner had a longer drive than me. We decided to sit this one out.
I saw ONE coyote this weekend. Together we called in...3 fox, 3 coyotes, 1 bobcat. Didn't pull the trigger once. We hunted apart in the AM's and together at night. Wind was 30mph (40 gusts!!) on Friday night and 20mph+ Saturday night. Total stands for team ~30.
Is it true that a 70 pounder was weighed in?

feebm ,

1040 hunters

houndsmen -40

called -25

baited -1

stillhunt -5

total 71 killed

Yes , the winning yote was a 70 pound freak .. sounds like you had alot of action evan with all the wind . wasn't to bad down this way during the day .

Thanks for posting the numbers swampwalker, I was just going to ask if anyone knew the numbers. It makes me feel a little better that out of 1040 hunters only 25 were killed by calling. Me and a buddy did about 20 stands this weekend and didn't call in a single thing. Thats hunting in the east I guess.

Swamp,
Thanks for the info.
Just dividing the number of hunters by the coyotes harvested gives you ~15 hunters per dog. Yeah, that's fuzzy math but it shows just how tough these guys are to harvest here. You getting two, makes you an expert!! Congrats again and thanks for the info.
It would be nice if they did some real research and broke things down a bit more. I bet, the State would maybe even fund something like that.

The numbers are more sobering than that , Freebm . Hounds men killed 40 but made a very small percent of those entered. Than you have the "non entered" participants .. The real #s are probably more like 1 in 35 callers scored at BEST . I know one thing . no one's fooling me ! They don't come any tougher .. I think I'm on to something though . hopefully all this trial and error pays off.

I know my numbers were fuzzy at best. I'm using that "new math". LOL How about this number......the number of stands put by hunters???
That would be way out there.
Thanks again and if you guys find a picture of that monster please share it with the rest of us.

I heard about the 70lb entry. I'm sure it will initiate a new round of 'wolves in the NE woods" threads and stories.

Nice work on the double Swamp! 5 called in one day is excellent. That should help satisfy an otherwise slow season. Beating your partner by 1lb = bragging rights IMO.

My bad season continued with an untimely cough attack after spotting a yote headed right for my bud.

A bunch of fox, which I don't shoot, and 2 yotes which never offered shots is the sad tale of my season so far.

12327_1132790379683_1824997645_277070_6109644_n.jpg

Here is the pic finally of the Grey i shot back on last day of Fox Season.

Other stats:

14 disqualifications due to coyote body temps being below 60F.

13 counties represented with 19 coyotes taken in Otsego Co., 17 taken in Sullivan Co.

17 taken on Friday, 36 on Saturday, 18 on Sunday

43 male, 28 female

Average weight for all 71 coyotes = 36.6 lbs.

All winners each day (heaviest) were taken with dogs

Also, as if to tease me - I pull into the driveway after work today and what do I hear out back - coyotes yipping away! I'll be back there soon.

Ok so I got a real werid question to ask. A couple of weeks ago a neighbor down the road told me that his wife was taking a walk and saw a mountain lion in a field. I laughed at him and told him there is no way that there are any mountain lions in NY and she probally saw a bobcat, coyote, or even a dog and some how mistaken it to be an mountain lion. But just now I was bored searching on the internet about mountain lions and see all these stories about people seeing mountain lions in NY. Anyone ever seen a lion in NY, or know someone who they trust that says they have seen a mountain lion in NY? I think I would crap my pants if I was every calling and a mountain lion came into my setup. LOL

I've heard many reports by pretty good sources This year . there were at least six sightings in the Hudson Highland area of dutchess county . If there was one out there it would probably be a declawed pet from some Manhattenite . Not to say there's no wild ones out there . I'm sure there's a couple in more remote area's of the state . But not in Orange county .

Originally Posted By: NY Yote hunterOk so I got a real werid question to ask. A couple of weeks ago a neighbor down the road told me that his wife was taking a walk and saw a mountain lion in a field. I laughed at him and told him there is no way that there are any mountain lions in NY and she probally saw a bobcat, coyote, or even a dog and some how mistaken it to be an mountain lion. But just now I was bored searching on the internet about mountain lions and see all these stories about people seeing mountain lions in NY. Anyone ever seen a lion in NY, or know someone who they trust that says they have seen a mountain lion in NY? I think I would crap my pants if I was every calling and a mountain lion came into my setup. LOL

I know a very reliable experienced hunter who lives on the Shawangunk Ridge in Ulster Co. that had a mountain lion in his back yard.

A dairy farmer friend of my Uncle up in Otsego Co. described an immature mountain lion cub to my Uncle asking his opinion of what he had seen.

Many years ago I swear that I saw one crossing a field off Route 6 in Harriman State Park between Woodbury and Fort Montgomery. They are out there even if the DEC isn't admitting it.

Last edited:
Well folks the way everyone in NY state thinks and/or knows someone who has seen a mountain lion in ulster county or WNY there would appear to be a thriving Mountain Lion population in NY..who would have thought! Only one question though? Why with all of these predator hunters out in NY, why don't we have first hand sightings....

I'll tell you why... because we don't have a thriving or even a small population and most likely never will..People are seeing coyotes with a mangy tail or a bobcat or maybe someones lab.

blink.gif

Last edited:
Back