NYS Coyote Hunters

I own a large parcel of land in Manheim NY. I have never Cayote hunted before. I've seen more cayotes on my land this year than I have seen the rest of my 64 year life. The dairy farmers around my property have all been loosing cows and calfs to cayotes. Would anyone be interested in Cayote hunting on my property and teaching me?

Originally Posted By: rimral04where is manheim ny exactly from albany

Actually it's just east of Little Falls. The village of Dolgeville is in the town of Manheim. I'm about four miles off I90 at exit 29A

Originally Posted By: 1badboyswampwalker , how did you keep your dogs after shooting them , so to not be DQ ?
inside ?

no we just brought them up awhile later ... If you're getting disqualified for body temp there's definitely fowl play involved. theese were shot at between 7:15 and 8:45 and the body temps were 90 and 100 degrees , they were inspected about 2:30pm . disqualification is below 60 or 65 degrees ..of course there were about a dozen losers who tried to get around the system . there was one with a temp of 110 wich seemed too high to me , I thought there Temp was about 104 - 105?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: swampwalkerOriginally Posted By: 1badboyswampwalker , how did you keep your dogs after shooting them , so to not be DQ ?
inside ?

no we just brought them up awhile later ... If you're getting disqualified for body temp there's definitely fowl play involved. theese were shot at between 7:15 and 8:45 and the body temps were 90 and 100 degrees , they were inspected about 2:30pm . disqualification is below 60 or 65 degrees ..of course there were about a dozen losers who tried to get around the system . there was one with a temp of 110 wich seemed too high to me , I thought there Temp was about 104 - 105?

Swamp where you getting this from?? If it is below freezing and you keep your dogs outside there is no way your dogs will be that temp (90-100degrees)...that's a pretty bold statement....I wouldn't be calling guys out who got DQed for being to cold..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NY Yote28Originally Posted By: swampwalkerOriginally Posted By: 1badboyswampwalker , how did you keep your dogs after shooting them , so to not be DQ ?
inside ?

Swamp where you getting this from?? If it is below freezing and you keep your dogs outside there is no way your dogs will be that temp (90-100degrees)...that's a pretty bold statement....I wouldn't be calling guys out who got DQed for being to cold..

Not bold at all ..I was there when they pulled the thermometer out of their arses ..Their hides are amazing when it comes to insulation . just as it keeps cold air out , it keeps heat in . There's easy math involved when it comes to calculating heat loss .. first thing they do is ask you what time you killed it , than it's a simple formula of x amount of degrees for however many hours . I can assure you , to get below 70 degrees in a day you'd basically have to pack it in ice . Those who were DQed were DQed for a reason..last year same story ..they shouldn't have to do a core temp test .. but unfortunately not all 'hunters' are on the up and up .

i was just wondering because i have a tourney coming up and it doesn't say they take temps but it says no frozen or stiff dogs....
well i shot a yote left it in the truck overnight in 20 degree weather and it was frozen stiff by morning...
now i m at least 2 1/2 hours from where they check them in and the tourney starts at midnight , and they dont weigh em till 6-8pm !
now i no genius but that long in the back of my truck in even 30 degree weather i would think would cool it off quite a bit !
was wondering if i should keep em inside ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: swampwalker

Not bold at all ..I was there when they pulled the thermometer out of their arses ..Their hides are amazing when it comes to insulation . just as it keeps cold air out , it keeps heat in . There's easy math involved when it comes to calculating heat loss .. first thing they do is ask you what time you killed it , than it's a simple formula of x amount of degrees for however many hours . I can assure you , to get below 70 degrees in a day you'd basically have to pack it in ice . Those who were DQed were DQed for a reason..last year same story ..they shouldn't have to do a core temp test .. but unfortunately not all 'hunters' are on the up and up .

This is not true swamp your math doesn't add up and I know of someone that shot a dog at 7ish am and by the time he got to check in it was below the temp...Some of the nights where it has been below zero it doesn't take long at all for those dogs to freeze right up...You have to remember that some people have them in their trucks outside. If it was 20 degrees out and I shot a 35lb coyote at 9pm, and if I checked it in the next day at 2pm or even a few hours after that dog would not be 70degrees...let me help you with the math....

an average canine(dog) body temp is 101-102F...
I have also seen that the body temp will drop on average 1.5 degrees an hour (if kept in an air/environment temp of 70 degrees) after death..

So if you shot a dog at 9pm check it in at 2pm that would be 17 hours correct?

So 17hours x 1.5degrees at (70 degrees, the air temp around the body)='s 75.5degrees inner body temp

So great 75.5 degrees makes the cut...IF KEPT IN an area with a air temp of 70 degrees but we all know that most of those dogs were kept in an area well below 70degrees which means the body temp would drop much more than 60-65 degree DQ mark....

Like I said you shouldn't call people that got DQ'ed cheaters- some may have cheated but I'm guessing most kept their dogs in the truck and they got cold much faster...

Last edited:
The forumula is simple only if the carcass is kept at a fixed temperature the entire time. It does not and cannot accurately compute the average temperature the coyote was exposed to from time of death to time of testing. There are plenty of things that can significantly slow heat loss, and plenty of things that can speed up heat loss.

Heat loss can be slowed by keeping the carcass from the cold and/or exposing it to heat. I suspect that a simple safeguard for many with a long trip would be to wrap the dog in an easy-to-carry "space blanket", then put it in a big plastic garbage bag. Cover it in a quilted moving blanket or a cooler if you can't put it inside the vehicle.

Heat loss can be significantly increased by exposure to wind in the back of a truck, placing it in direct contact with the metal bed of a truck (ever get cold feet from a metal treestand?), if it is wet, etc.

I understand why the test is done, and, as it's their contest, they make the rules. Don't like it, don't enter. It would be a real shame if anyone cheated, but given the economy and some of the big prizes I can see why someone might try.

Originally Posted By: NY Yote28Originally Posted By: swampwalker

This is not true swamp your math doesn't add up and I know of someone that shot a dog at 7ish am and by the time he got to check in it was below the temp...Some of the nights where it has been below zero it doesn't take long at all for those dogs to freeze right up...You have to remember that some people have them in their trucks outside. If it was 20 degrees out and I shot a 35lb coyote at 9pm, and if I checked it in the next day at 2pm or even a few hours after that dog would not be 70degrees...let me help you with the math....

an average canine(dog) body temp is 101-102F...
I have also seen that the body temp will drop on average 1.5 degrees an hour (if kept in an air/environment temp of 70 degrees) after death..

So if you shot a dog at 9pm check it in at 2pm that would be 17 hours correct?

So 17hours x 1.5degrees at (70 degrees, the air temp around the body)='s 75.5degrees inner body temp

So great 75.5 degrees makes the cut...IF KEPT IN an area with a air temp of 70 degrees but we all know that most of those dogs were kept in an area well below 70degrees which means the body temp would drop much more than 60-65 degree DQ mark....

Like I said you shouldn't call people that got DQ'ed cheaters- some may have cheated but I'm guessing most kept their dogs in the truck and they got cold much faster...

couple things..If you shoot one at 9pm at night why wait until 2pm the NEXT afternoon to weigh it in ? 75.5 degrees is well above the DQ mark ..thats 17.5 hrs later..if anything your math proves my point..I'm having a difficult time believing a dog that was shot around seven in the morning was dqed on core temp the same day .that yote was walking around during daylight and had a thermometer in him before the sun set ... especially after seeing the Temps on the dogs that were being weighed in . many dogs were shot at night after the previous days weigh in , and were not dqed .the 'freeze up' is rigomortis making them stiff . they look frozen solid . but their CORE temps are still very warm. A little common sense should also be used ..in case.. like when you're going to do a set , put the yote on the floor board of your truck . something doesn't add up. the two I shot were 100 degrees the one my friend shot was 90 .with NO worries about temp ..basically letting them lay out in the snow and the bed of a pickup.

last year some guy my friend knows tried to get through the weigh ins . He shot a dog a few days earler . I found out about this after the fact ..of course during the contest he was complaining about how he was done wrong . So if I seem skeptical thank the likes of this man . If you were playng by the books and were Dqed Than I am sorry .. you were a victim of the unethical type that forces us to have rules , and not the organizers of the contest .

P.S stop submerging your dogs in ice water .

for the tourney i m going to it starts at midnight and they dont weigh em till 6-8pm !
but temps have have been warm , i should be good ...
I HOPE !

Originally Posted By: swampwalker
NY Yote28 said:
swampwalker said:
couple things..If you shoot one at 9pm at night why wait until 2pm the NEXT afternoon to weigh it in ? 75.5 degrees is well above the DQ mark ..thats 17.5 hrs later..if anything your math proves my point..I'm having a difficult time believing a dog that was shot around seven in the morning was dqed on core temp the same day .that yote was walking around during daylight and had a thermometer in him before the sun set ... especially after seeing the Temps on the dogs that were being weighed in . many dogs were shot at night after the previous days weigh in , and were not dqed .the 'freeze up' is rigomortis making them stiff . they look frozen solid . but their CORE temps are still very warm. A little common sense should also be used ..in case.. like when you're going to do a set , put the yote on the floor board of your truck . something doesn't add up. the two I shot were 100 degrees the one my friend shot was 90 .with NO worries about temp ..basically letting them lay out in the snow and the bed of a pickup.

last year some guy my friend knows tried to get through the weigh ins . He shot a dog a few days earler . I found out about this after the fact ..of course during the contest he was complaining about how he was done wrong . So if I seem skeptical thank the likes of this man . If you were playng by the books and were Dqed Than I am sorry .. you were a victim of the unethical type that forces us to have rules , and not the organizers of the contest .

P.S stop submerging your dogs in ice water .

Swamp- The main point I'm getting at is it def is possible for someone to shoot a dog and have it fall below the DQ mark well within the days range....I'll end it at this since you seem unable to understand it...good luck and I'm done..

Back