NEW FLIR ThermoSight RS

I came across a 3x and a 5x magnifier for my PVS 14. 3x did pretty well last week. I had to have the dbal IR dialed in pretty tight. Very seldom do I bring the 5x, it makes me dizzy.

if we really wanna get technical, im in the process now of setting up an old school-throw back NV clip on. ITT gen 3. Man dectection at 1,000 meters. Car detection at 3,000 meters under star light conditions. Nothin fancy just something to plink around with at 10x-12x. I'll have some pics someday here shortly.

Hot off the email press from FLIR....!! Just got word earlier today, the first several units of the RS64, 1.1 - 9X - 35mm we ordered have shipped today from FLIR. They will be going out to some lucky first customers who ordered these from us.

We have other units shipping to us shortly we're told! Stand-by....

Vic

Let The Good Times Roll.
thumbup1.gif

RS64-35mm

RS64%2032%20Pelican%20Case.jpg

Any thermal with a 60mm plus sized objective lens is for LONG DISTANCE ONLY with tiny FOV as in 300-600+ yards or more in a sniper type setup in a blind.

My hunting never takes place further out past 250 yards and the RS64-35 will cover everything between me and 250 yards perfectly. Generally we are hunting foot mobile and covering mucho swampy territory with line of sight of a few couple of hundred feet.

All my kills happen within 250 yards so not a problem, the 60mm lens is no good in my situation, gross overkill for long range.....

Originally Posted By: SkyPupAny thermal with a 60mm plus sized objective lens is for LONG DISTANCE ONLY with tiny FOV as in 300-600+ yards or more in a sniper type setup in a blind.

My hunting never takes place further out past 250 yards and the RS64-35 will cover everything between me and 250 yards perfectly. Generally we are hunting foot mobile and covering mucho swampy territory with line of sight of a few couple of hundred feet.

All my kills happen within 250 yards so not a problem, the 60mm lens is no good in my situation, gross overkill for long range..... I'm glad that was stated. I seen u were comparing the 35mm lens with the t70. I was wondering how the 60mm lens would do. So the 35 is gonna be the "catch all" optic?.... Anything within reason?... just sayin

Sounds like the 35mm lens may be the way to go for most hunters. Heck who wants to shoot a coyote at 300-500 yards and then have to walk out and get them?

I may be looking at the 35mm versus the 60 just for this reason......

It's got me thinking for sure....Save some Moola for other toys:)

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisSounds like the 35mm lens may be the way to go for most hunters. Heck who wants to shoot a coyote at 300-500 yards and then have to walk out and get them?

I may be looking at the 35mm versus the 60 just for this reason......

It's got me thinking for sure....Save some Moola for other toys:) Good thinking. And really, my opinion, 6,499$ isn't a bad price compared to other thermal optics/thermal clip-on sights. It's got my eyes open, considering I've been looking at other night optics. Thanks for the review Skypup. Keep us updated!

Originally Posted By: Loggers InnAnd 1 more? Do we have recoil ratings?

Up to and including gas operated .30 cal including 7.62X39mm Russian and 7.62X51mm NATO.

I will be putting mine on a Ruger #1 7mm Rem Mag.

The Tau 2 core meets all requirements of this specification and exhibits no damage or permanent degradation after exposure to shock pulses along any axis with magnitude / duration as follows:

250 g (1.5msec half-sine)

500g (0.8msec half-sine)

FLIR RS64-35mm in my backyard tonight, absolute pitch dark out, drizzling rain, 42*F, worst possible conditions for thermal or any other NV equipment.

Six dogs came in to FoxPro Prairie Blaster playing Bay Bee Cottontail for less than ten minutes.

Dogs appeared out in deep woods 300+ yards out when I first picked them up, tree line is 225 yards, shot at closest dog @ 200 yards.

Only cowitnessed the RS64-35mm with my DBAL-D2 visible green laser at 50 yards when I got home before dark, apparently I need to rezero again at 200 yards as the shot went over him, however one connected with him at 225 yard, will look for him tomorrow when the bad weather clears out....

Coyote%20200%20Yards%201X.jpg

Coyote%20200%20Yards%202X.jpg

Coyote%20225%20Yards%20Hit.jpg

These images are compressed for the web, will upload video to You-Tube later....will rezero at 200 yards first thing tomorrow morning before the hogs show up.

Pictures and videos should be much crisper and clearer tomorrow as the bad low pressure storm is passing over and high pressure is moving in.

Skypup, that darn weather out your way still shows how good the RS is really doing. Vids and pics never show how good these scopes really are.

Our 1st shipments are shipping shortly. Thanks to all who have ordered. We have constant PO's with FLIR with more coming every month. The demand for the RS has been good. All AMERICAN made with real USA workers building units!

Vic

The view from the M-18 is pretty much similar to the RS64-35, the size of the view is a little different with the M-18 having a larger ocular on it.

It is good I was able to blast one of those 'yotes under the worst conditions possible here tonight before the weather clears out tomorrow, because when I do get one when the conditions are ideal it will be mind blowing to compare the two.

On top of that, this is NOT some professional paid for planned out thermal dealer video, it is just me screwing around in my backyard!

Here is how I sighted in my RS64-35mm today, zero at 50 yards onto hot hand warmer and then move to 200 yard for the last couple of clicks:

RS64%2035%20Target.jpg

RS64%2035%20Target%20CloseUp.jpg

These RS series scopes are seriously cool. And other than maybe ease of use, it seems a person gets more per dollar spent than with the PS or LS series handhelds. Has anyone used thermal to hunt/detect treed coons? Guess in theory if a person can detect with lights, thermal should work pretty well too. Would the RS32 with a 35mm lens detect something the size of a softball at 300-400 yards? I'm still trying to justify me owning one of these.

Last edited:
Back