NEW FLIR ThermoSight RS

Originally Posted By: reaper4then I will stick with what I have thanks

I think I will too!
unsure.gif

Here is a question for the experts.

Currently i have a PS24 and a D740.

I like the new Aguila 4x that Victor posted and i like the RS64-35mm Skypup has been talking about.

My question is??
1. Do i keep what i have and kill X amount of Coyotes at night or
2. Get the Aquila 4x scan with the ps24 and kill X amount more coyotes at night or
3. Get the RS64, scan with the PS24 and Kill X amount more + more of coyotes at night?

The one thing i really like about a NV Gen3 scope is the 100% ID of the critter.

Would i lose the 100% ID if using the RS64 for shooting and the PS24 for scanning?

Is the Aquila 4x that much better than the D740?

One other thought i have is to sell the PS24 and D740, get some cash back and put it into an LS64 and the Aquila 4x?

Your thoughts??

Thanks all!!

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisHere is a question for the experts.

Currently i have a PS24 and a D740.

I like the new Aguila 4x that Victor posted and i like the RS64-35mm Skypup has been talking about.

My question is??
1. Do i keep what i have and kill X amount of Coyotes at night or
2. Get the Aquila 4x scan with the ps24 and kill X amount more coyotes at night or
3. Get the RS64, scan with the PS24 and Kill X amount more + more of coyotes at night?

The one thing i really like about a NV Gen3 scope is the 100% ID of the critter.

Would i lose the 100% ID if using the RS64 for shooting and the PS24 for scanning?

Is the Aquila 4x that much better than the D740?

One other thought i have is to sell the PS24 and D740, get some cash back and put it into an LS64 and the Aquila 4x?

Your thoughts??

Thanks all!! Heres my thought. I'm all for thermal detection, but I think u need gen3 for proper ID too. I'm for a hand held thermal and what ever gen3 u think you need. Whether it be a scope, pvs14, clip-on.... What ever you my choose, but I'm not leavin the house without a gen3 devise for proper ID.

I have the same thoughts Logger!

I want to be 100% sure of what my target is and what is beyond the target. One thing that i have found with my Flir is that is does not show all the little bumps, saddles or ridges in the screen.
Normally when i sit down i use my Wicked light to shine along the gorund out towards the ecaller and area i think a critter may come in from.

Many times i have sat down only to find myself in a bowl or i have the top of a ridge 100 yards in front of me.

Anybody care to chime in on the d740 versus the Aquila4X??

I am with Logger, if you are using a thermal to detect and a NV scope to annihilate you cannot get much better than than for the money, especially at longer ranges past 200 yards, here in Florida a 200 yard shot is not very common as little open areas to allow that, your environment sounds to be more open than mine.

As far as the D740 vs Raptor, just look at the front objective on that Raptor, it pulls in allot more light than any D-740 can, plus with a focusable IR illuminator you can take a shot out past 400 yards. That Raptor is a first class NV instrument.

Sounds like you know what to do already!

P.S. no matter what setup I am running on my weapon though, I NEVER leave the house without thermal detection!

Okay - Here is what i am planning on for the 2014 and 2015 Coyote season

1. Sell my Flir PS24
2. Sell my D740
3. Buy a LS64
4. Buy a Aquila 4x

Problem Solved!!!

Thanks Skypup and Loggers!!

Oh! I just looked atthe TNVC website and found both scopes -
The Aquila4x says 8 degrees fov and the D740 says 10 degrees.

Is this correct??

That Aquilla has a much bigger 125mm objective to pull in more light, so yes that makes for a smaller FOV with that huge lens for longer range.

Talk to ImpactZone about that scope, I believe he has one and loves it for long range coyotes....

I believe If I owned a d740 and was thinking of selling it I would go with a 6x scope. I still find myself wanting a clip on for the increased mag over my 6x scopes. If your set on a 4x the glass on Aquila will be better than the 740 = clearer image. I would also take a look at a d750 after looking through the Aquila and 750, I believe the 750 has a better image. Whichever scope you decide to buy will get the job done, I would at a bare minimum upgrade to a ps32, the electronic zoom is worth every penny!

Originally Posted By: kyle crickenbergerI believe If I owned a d740 and was thinking of selling it I would go with a 6x scope. I still find myself wanting a clip on for the increased mag over my 6x scopes. If your set on a 4x the glass on Aquila will be better than the 740 = clearer image. I would also take a look at a d750 after looking through the Aquila and 750, I believe the 750 has a better image. Whichever scope you decide to buy will get the job done, I would at a bare minimum upgrade to a ps32, the electronic zoom is worth every penny! I just bought a simrad kn 203 fab... 10x is just getting u started. 20x is a Lil muddy. Spartan1 helped me with this set up, he said he used it in the USMC. I don't have it mounted yet cause I'm waiting on some new rings and a cap. The front objective is huge letting the light in, thus helping with the magnification. Weight is prolly 2.5#'s. it's big but not to heavy. It specs with a pvs27 ITT gen3 autogated tube.

Last edited:
I'd just like to chime in.....I just got a first hand view of the rs64 35mm lens, and all I can say is WOW. its a lot better than the views on this thread. And what really impressed me was the field of view find critter and a small click, hes dialed in at whatever power you want. Great devise here.

Originally Posted By: Loggers InnI'd just like to chime in.....I just got a first hand view of the rs64 35mm lens, and all I can say is WOW. its a lot better than the views on this thread. And what really impressed me was the field of view find critter and a small click, hes dialed in at whatever power you want. Great devise here.

The FOV is great on that scope, that is what you need more than anything else at night, as those experienced at night hunting with thermals will tell you!

That scope is basically a weaponized LS-64 with improved rear ocular glass. It really is the best for 98% of most hunting needs, the ones with the 60mm lens are way more impressive at super long range, but the majority of hunters are not shooting at over 300 yards as a rule, so the 60mm systems are specialized for long ranges.

The RS64-35mm or the RS32-35mm are both able to cover all my hunting needs at night.

Skypup,

How do you range the target in the middle of the night even after you have acquired it through thermal? I was just thinking that if the RS (or any other thermal scope) would have a range finder added in their through it's interface centered at the crosshair, then it would be just about flawless. Absent that, I'm not sure if I can find anything in the dark of the night through my range finder, even if I've located its heat signature through the RS.

I always do alot of scouting. When me and the son are out we try to visualize a bush, tree, some type of landmark to be at 100 meters or 200 meters then you have a close estimation at night.

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
The FOV is great on that scope, that is what you need more than anything else at night, as those experienced at night hunting with thermals will tell you!

Anyone purchasing a thermal scope should make FOV a major consideration when deciding on a unit. Especially if you are going to hunt hogs.

Last night I was stalking a large sounder of hogs alone and after I busted them up one managed to get very close to me while I was shooting at the runners. (You are basically blind on a dark night once the animal is out of your scope FOV) I heard something growling and when I dropped my FLIR T70 down to 0.5x and swung left it was full of hog. He was going by me about 10 yards away and when he got a whiff on the downwind side the growling started. He stopped and froze with his head cocked in my direction. I had 2 rounds left in my mag so I took a shot that hit but was low due to scope offset at that very close range. I hit him hard enough that he decided to take off so at least I got him away from me. (I would normally have a backup .45 with a laser and light but I did not take time to carry it with me)

Skypup is emphasizing FOV in his posts and as you can tell from my experience last night there is a very good reason for it. I have also seen ranging enter the discussion and this will also be a challenge in the field when getting used to a thermal scope with variable magnification.

Last edited:
Back