NEW FLIR ThermoSight RS

Originally Posted By: DarknightI wonder if I could write a FLIR unit off as "used for lost livestock location after dark" device....

Hey, exotic dancers can write off certain “enhancements”, so maybe....if you can prove a business purpose. You try it and set the precedent for the rest of us.

I was out at dusk after work last night trying to get some video out of each of the units to post to and compare.

I managed to get video out of two of the units, LS64-60mm and LS32-60mm when suddenly six coyotes appeared deep out in front of me 300 yards, in my rush to get my thermal equipped rifle up to blow them away, I ripped off the proprietary video cable from my min DVR, ending all possibilities of recording anymore video until I get a new cable.... On top of that, the dogs hung out deep for 5 minutes before disappearing in the thick cover...Ah Wah, I will get them next time with a vengeance...

I spent the rest of the time looking through each unit and mentally comparing them.

Like SpeedQuest described, both the 64 and 32 versions of the 60mm lens are long range units with restricted FOV, but you can see a real long way out, would be good for a .308 in an open field.

However, RS64-35mm lens (which I did not get a video of) was incredibly nice for everything that we do out 250 yards with great FOV and super clean view.

Surprisingly, the RS32-35mm was also very nice and coveedr the area very strongly with 1/2 the FOV of the 64 version, still for the discounted price of the 320 core it certainly is a very nice performer.

The most amazing surprise of the night was just how nice the littel RS32-19mm lens worked, I really did not think it would have been up to the task of making precise shots out 200 yards, but it certainly is, and very lightweight. For the cost conscious minded thermal night hunter, this thing is quite the kit to have.

Here are links to the two videos I was able to take prior to destroying the video cable connector, it was foggy, 78*F, drizzling, right before sundown so not very clear:

FLIR RS64-60mm internal digital control panel:

FLIR RS64-60mm internal digital control panel:

Just to let you all know, those two videos were taken in foggy, drizzling rain, 100% humidity, 78*F at dusk under the most adverse climactic weather conditions for thermal operation possible, everything was virtually monotemperature and the sun did not have a chance to even heat up anything all day long.

Here is a video from my FLIR T-70 weapon scope in the exact same location under normal environmental conditions at night for comparision, this is about the exact SAME view that you would get using the RS-64-35mm scope for those of you wanting this particular model:

Originally Posted By: yzsuperleeOriginally Posted By: DarknightI wonder if I could write a FLIR unit off as "used for lost livestock location after dark" device....

Hey, exotic dancers can write off certain “enhancements”, so maybe....if you can prove a business purpose. You try it and set the precedent for the rest of us.

There is a way you can write-off your Night Vision, Thermal, ammo, and weapon purchases. If you are a land owner and you are protecting your land, crops, and/or livestock from depredation. If you have purchased night vision or other gear as a tool to protect your livestock from coyotes, your crops from pigs, or anything that could take away your livelihood to make a living, it can be used as a tax write-off.

Deductions can also be made on night vision and related gear if you are using the equipment in a legitimate business – one where you charge for your services. The best way to find more information about this is to contact your tax professional who will have more information on the laws of your specific area.

I wrote off two pvs-14's in different tax years. Called them a surveillance system.

I also wrote of a LS-64. Anyone involved in construction, rental housing, commercial property ect could. You can check for heat loss around buildings, hot circuit breakers, even locate studs behind drywall.

You just have to have income from a business.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupAnother very important factor for people to consider in their minds is the relation between the core and the lens.

For any 320 core combined with a 35mm or 60mm lens, the FOV will be 1/2 that of what you will get with the 640 core and the same lens.

In other words the 640 core will double your FOV through the same lens.

That is a consideration in function, utility, and price because most of the time my thermal units are being used in their widest FOV mode possible (with least magnification) 98% of the time I am using the instruments in the woods.

Thoughts?

The area that you hunt (open fields , brush, swamps
laugh.gif
) will dictate what you need. After using the thermals looking thru a rifle scope seems like looking thru a small tube. You really appreciate the fov that the thermals have.
Looked thru the photon 3.5x digital yesterday nice unit for the least expensive way to get into night hunting besides a just using a flashlight
laugh.gif
. But the fov is just like any other 4x scope. After using the ls64 with 35mm lens the fov is much much larger and you can always use the e zoom to get a smaller fov even with loss of clarity still works for shot placement.

The smaller cores get the added benefit of a pseudo zoom due to having to be stretched to fit the LCD screen, you will not gain any clarity as this is a function of the core pitch and lens properties. But any larger sensor can be e zoomed in for the same view, as you zoom in the fov will shrink and look like the smaller core with at least the same clarity.I am working on adding a 3x lens to the ls64frankenthermal it should work for the ps24/32 as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loggers InnI keep seeing 200-250 yard shots. Is 300-400 yard shots within reason with this new devise?

With the RS64-60mm, not a problem, you can probably take 600 yard shots if you are good, however very few are that good....

Originally Posted By: SkyPupOriginally Posted By: Loggers InnI keep seeing 200-250 yard shots. Is 300-400 yard shots within reason with this new devise?

With the RS64-60mm, not a problem, you can probably take 600 yard shots if you are good, however very few are that good.... I have a hard time making the 100 yrd shots sometimes
scared.gif
just wondering on what the typical ranges would be?

Main problem would be 100% ID of what you are shooting at, ie is it a coyote or your neighbors German Shepard? You cannot tell that difference with any thermal. It is imperative to ID what you are pulling the trigger on prior to pulling it.

I am getting allot of PM's asking if a coyote and German Shepard were standing side by side at 200 yards, would I know which one is the coyote and the dog?

Thermal is NOT going to ID an animal like that and it is imperative that the shooter ID's what he is shooting at prior to pulling the trigger.

So the answer is no.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupI am getting allot of PM's asking if a coyote and German Shepard were standing side by side at 200 yards, would I know which one is the coyote and the dog?

Thermal is NOT going to ID an animal like that and it is imperative that the shooter ID's what he is shooting at prior to pulling the trigger.

So the answer is no. Couple times last week...had 1 mousing, then had 3 come in and sit down. All coyotes were prolly 350-400 yards. I slipped on my 3x magnifier on my melon and could see my target, but it was a Lil far for my dbal laser is why I'm asking. And people asking about the German Shepard, you couldn't tell them apart during the day with your naked eye. Geez fellas!!! Be lookin for the dog collar.
thumbup1.gif
I understand the thermal aspect having a ps32. Sometimes u have no idea what's lurking, but but you can see something's lurking
scared.gif

Last edited:
I did talk to one of the game wardens that we work with and he did tell me that using a thermal weapon scope during the DAY during REGULAR HUNTING SEASON on public or private land is PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE for legal game animal hunting during legal shooting hours.

That means you can use a FLIR Thermal Weapon scope on deer, turkeys, and other legal game during the day.

Check you individual state for legal restrictions though.

I've always been pretty conscious about night hunting and ID'ing my targets. SOB's shot my beagle dog bout 30 yrs ago during the day. I've always been a Lil heart felt over that episode. I don't want another Lil fella to go through what I went through. It was a bad situation. I've takin people hunting with me, like my brother for example, and ask me why I didn't take the shot. Just wasn't clear enough. Here's another example. Last yr late June, we made a stand in a hay field some was cut some wasn't. Turned the call on. Something is bustin in towards the call, resembles a coyote in the thermal, and it's runnin right towards the call, son says shoot dad, shoot. Guess what. I waited a couple seconds....it was a fawn running right to the call. Glad I waited. Seriously I had a hard time telling it from a coyote bouncing through the tall hay. It's more responsible to walk away. I know I'm not gonna kill'em all. If I kill the wrong animal, it might just be my last hunting trip. Think about it fellas!

Excatly, there is a tomorrow and they will be back, people that have too much adrenaline need to cool their jets and relax...

Those of you thinking about purchasing one of the FLIR RS thermal weapon scopes should look at this video taken with a FLIR M-18 RECON 640 core with 35mm lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx32hJH_rpI&feature=youtu.be

Video was taken in my back yard with zero moon, clear sky, extremely dark night, low humindity and 58-60*F climate.

My game cam tree is 175 yards out, other beginning of tree canopy is 225 yards out, underneath the tree canopy is 350 yards out.

This video is similar to what you will be viewing through a FLIR RS-65-35mm thermal weapon scope.

Notice the extreme clarity, resolution, and super wide FOV.

At night, when hunting, you want ALL THE FOV you can get!

I will be testing out the FLIR RS64-35mm scope again later on this week and will take some video through it to post here for comparison.....

Originally Posted By: Loggers InnI keep seeing 200-250 yard shots. Is 300-400 yard shots within reason with this new devise?

What NV equipment do you plan to use to ID your target at 300-400 yards?

Last edited:
Back