New .17 winchester super mag RIMFIRE

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The older Remington triggers are LEAPS AND BOUNDS better then the current. You just need to know how to work them. I will take an original Walker over the new XMark Pro any day. The regular XMark isn't bad, pull wise, but the materials aren't the same quality.

I'm not familiar with the new and improved rem trigger, but I like the Walker trigger also. I have it set for about 2lbs. I would consider that a good hunting in fair weather weight.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNice cat RP, female is it ?

Nope,,, a young Tom.
Had nutz about the size of Stevo's.
I'll post a pic in the morning for comparison.
grin.gif

Oh come on, enough of the lies already........ That cat had to have bigger seeds than that!

Since I am thousands of miles away from you must have been observing someone else up close.

Again my appologies sir, I had no idea.Where have I been?Lots of overtime,civil duties, etc. I'm sorry.I mostly keep up with leverguns, I really had no idea they were making M-70s again.I will now educate myself and again please excuse me.

Originally Posted By: Noveske Crusader+1 on that Ruger 77/17wsm......

I won't e-mail Ruger this time though cause last year the assured me that they would not chamber the 17 Hornet so I bought a crappy blued Rem 700 VTR in .17 Fireball.

Now every time I see that Ruger 77SS in .17 Hornet....it makes me sick to my stomach...

You should send them a copy of the letter you sent and tell them you bought a crappy rifle because of that assurance that they wouldn't be making one. They should give you one because of their screw up.

My wife shakes her head at some of the stuff I get out of the customer service departments of big companies.

Mr. Catshooter, no less than 33 NIB Winchester model 70s on Gunbroker.com.I also went to Winchesterguns.com and sure enough, still made here just like you said. I saw nothing under $600.

Letters to Anschutz and Weatherby might stir some interest there, the Weatherby .17HMR was a wicked good rifle at under a grand. I had a 1517 MPR that was the best shooter of the dozen or so I tried.

They would sell more of these if they came out the gate as one of the first rifles made for it.

The smallest caliber offering I saw was the .22-250.I'm sure they will offer the .223WSM although I didn't see it listed except a rifle specificly dedicated "WSM".

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: Orneryolfart357So a cat that wanders 1300 ft "1/4 mile" from their house is now considered Feral? Cant say that I agree with that one.

Not only that but he's a Trespasser as well! Keep 'em home folk's. That means on your land, not mine.

Exactly ^
That "ditch" alongside the county road leading to Farmer John's house belongs to me (and the Game Birds that have nowhere else left to live thanks to modern farming) as much as it does to farmer John, and any Cat in it is trespassing as far as I'm concerned.

I put a collar on my dogs and keep em home. Never shot a stray or feral cat with a collar on it yet.
FWIW, I live at the end of the road up in the woods. Closest subdivision's thirty miles from here so I know a little about rural life.

We have an incredible number of birds around our house, including two different types of quail and other ones we rarely saw until buying this place.

Our cats are kept inside as we don't want them to be coyote or bobcat food, nor do we want them killing the birds around the house, another way of saying we care about both.

A neighbor's cat that was a beat up old tom (not an indoor cat at any time) was doing his daily rounds and leaving us one or two dead quail or some of the really cool birds laying on our lawns which was getting to be disturbing to say the least. He wasn't even eating them, just killing as many as he could catch. I dusted him twice with close shots hoping to send a message that it wasn't okay to be here. Let's just say he became coyote food because it didn't deter him.

Another neighbor's cat that they do let inside at night comes over into our fields and catches dozens of the rodent things that there are thousands of. I've watched him catch four or five in 20 minutes, he's actually fun to watch. He never comes near the house so I have no problem with him at all.

It's your property and it's your prerogative to decide what trespassers are okay. It's that simple. I accept the fact that if I let my cats outdoors they are subject to either being eaten or treated as unwanted trespassers by neighbors. You have to take responsibility for your own choices as to what you allow your own animals to do. If you care about them a lot you keep them indoors.

Same thing with a dog, everyone here has sheep, goats, steers, if a dog is hazing a neighbor's animals they are going to shoot your dog. You can't get pissed about your dog getting shot if you aren't keeping them on your property.

Originally Posted By: huntsman22outta work on feral parakeets.

We've got feral Quakers and Conures in San Francisco, get caught shooting them with a pellet rifle and you'd be lucky not to get the death penalty.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: duckdogOriginally Posted By: TripleDeuce660In my mind there is only one bible of ethics for any hunter. YOUR STATES HUNTING REGULATIONS. So long as you are not breaking the law it is fine by me. They allow you to kill feral cats because wildlife biologists have determined them to be damaging the ecosystem. Cats are an invasive species.

Hunters need to stick together and not judge each others ethics or the anti's will divide and conquer. No laws broken, no harm done.

I've never quite understood this train of thought...
Myself, I've never needed the government to tell me the difference between right or wrong. Just because your "bible of ethics" (roll eyes here), says something is legal or illegal in your state, does NOT mean you have to agree with it. (Ethically)

And I'm not just singling you out. I see this quite often. In one breath a guy will say "The government says this, or says that, and I think it's total BS!"
But in the next breath, when something is questioned,..."It's legal so it's ok".
People should think for themselves...
I could list several activities that are legal according to our "bible of ethics", that I'm sure you'd find questionable. I do.
And just because they're legal, doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

P.S.... My dog loves cats...he just can't eat a whole one by himself.
wink.gif

Good post, IMO, duckdog.

LOL..!! It must be a slow day when the only thing a group of great white hunters can discus is cat killing.
blink.gif

Cat's is fun...

But you don't wanna talk about killing cats in California, you get life or possibly the death penalty. In fact you have to watch what's said on the internet or you'll have a visitor.

I use words like "allegedly", or "I heard".

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceI don't like cats, they're just weird, so are cat people. But......

After years of trapping I can tell you there is a big difference between farm cats, pets and wild/feral cats. Not that one is better for the ecosystem than the other but there's a definite difference. I don't know if I'd kill a farm cat but those vicious little feral SOB's bring a smile to my face. A lot easier to tell when you got em in a trap or snare though.

Back to the .17 rimfire........ Is anyone else only interested in it at a price point? Let's face it, I would of bought a Hornet or Furball years ago if one the the manufactures was smart enough to chamber them in a budget gun. But I haven't dropped the $400 on up they want for the baby centerfires, not gonna drop that on a rimfire either.

I'm the opposite, I want a Sako, Anschutz, or Weatherby with an Elite 4200 6-24x mildot.

Originally Posted By: woodguru......you don't wanna talk about killing cats in California, you get life or possibly the death penalty. In fact you have to watch what's said on the internet or you'll have a visitor......

That sounds like a personal problem that a moving van could and would cure for a lot of people.

I don't know if ammo prices have been covered yet, but Midway is listing the as-yet-delivered ammo from between $13.99-$15-99 from 20 grain HP to 25 grain V-Max, with the 20 grain V-Max in the middle.

ETA: "Coming Soon"

I don't know if it's been mentioned or not between the cat killing ( kill 'em all) but savage is coming out with a .17WSM rifle around april with a MSRP of $349. The case is based on winchesters .27 nail gun round according to what I read today on winchesters site.. I was never a .17HMR fan but this new round is one of those I have got to have.

Savage is releasing their new B.MAG in the .17 Winchester Super Magnum. It is sort of a mini-centerfire, built specifically for the new caliber. I have a write-up on the new rifle with a link to a bunch of pictures here: New Savage B.MAG in .17 Winchester Super Magnum

It's a decent rifle, with a platform that can be expanded to include some of the other "magnum" rimfires, like the .17 HMR and the .22 Magnum. Maybe others, if we are lucky. MSRP is $349.00, but folks are seeing them pop-up for $300.00.

Eric

WOW, this post went it's full cycle, the only thing not covered yet is will this round have enough knock down power to take out BIGFOOT ??? Or the notorious black panther????

its midnight and im drunk as [beeep] and i dont know weather to go to church in the morning or start hunting cats!! this thred is off the wall. The win mag will do amazing with the crowed that dose not reload. !!! IT will be an instant sucses

Back