Misting

I never stop learning as an outdoorsman, or hunter or shooter....(At least I hope I don't)

I have followed this thread for the prospective value of incorporating some type of similar tactic in my calling.

When I call, I try & create a "Scenario" with my calling that is a combination of sounds thats replicates what an actual event in nature might sound like....
Like a coyote killing a rabbit, or being challenged from the kill.
The "Scenario" is intended to attract my prey into shooting range & letting me get a shot is the ultimate end... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In nature, the "scenario" that is created has a reaction, either positive or negative, by what you are hunting... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

It is along these lines that I find "misting" at the very least interesting.
Especially if I incorporate it into working with a "Scenario" of sights, sounds & smells, that imitates the event as it might occur in the wild. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Animals use ALL their senses when responding to calling....So, misting might actually have benefits to calling, depending on the caller & what the setting is for that day.

I would be interested to know HOW & WHAT to mist, so, those that have enjoyed success would best be able to answer that question.

I don't see it as whether it will or won't work.....
NOTHING works ALL the time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

It just seems like it might be worthy of my consideration to see how I can add it to the "scenario" I create while calling.

I trapped for years and I too made a sets a scenrio sometimes to much,but then again I've got coons on shiny pan sets and spent hours making a coyote set that I knew would work that did'nt. If a guy can make them want to come in when there a little standoffish buy misting try it might work might not but every thig is worth a try.

Quote:
I do not see misting as an attractant and like I said, I haven't read anything about it being an attractant.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif At least somebody understands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Simple test for the confused. Go make a stand. Leave all the callers in the truck. Mist the area for all your worth. Did coyotes come a-runnin' from all directions? No?

You mean they weren't "attracted"? Are you surprised? Don't be. Misting is just another tool used to help manipulate the target into a killing position. You have to get them to come to you first before misting has any useful application.

It's really that simple.

Okanagan, I never will forget the first time that I used misting during the day stands. I and my buddy were novices at this yote calling thing. We had heard of Coyote calling in S. Ca in 1976, but really could not find any hard details. I made a box out of 3/4" plywood, installed a Car 8 track tape player (supposed to be a real good one with 100 watts of power), and put a car battery in the box. I put 100 feet of telephone cable on the two large outdoor speakers.

I had got a subscription to Fur Fish and Trapper magazine. Every month they had an article by a varmint caller. The had all kinds of guys selling every kind of piss that you could imagine, boggles the imagination. I ordered some rabbit piss, as per the writer's instructions in the Fur Fish, and Trapper. We sprayed out boots, we sprayed the box that the tape player was in, we sprayed rags and hung them out. We had read where these coyotes were tough to kill. I carried a two pockets full of #4 buckshot and my buddy also.

Well off we go, with our 45 lb tape deck, and we stink to high heaven. We are on the outskirts of Palm Springs, Ca. We sit the tape deck down in a bush in the middle of a sand wash. I know that my hunting partner is very excitable and I had better keep a close eye on him and be where he can see me. I put him up 35 yards down from me where he could see me. We really stunk to high heaven, it was awful. We did not comprehend misting at that point, we had just sprayed the stuff all over us and the caller.

Well, I motion to my partner that I am going to turn the tape deck on, the caller goes Waa, Waa, Waa, Waa and a coyote brushes my 30" shot gun barrel and I fall off my chair in the sand. I hear a BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, Boom!

My partner has just mutilated this poor coyote! I got up off the ground walked over to look at this coyote and Gary could hardly talk he was so excited. I thought to myself, at this rate, we are going to run out of ammo. I looked at Gary and said, "that was one tough SOB, wasn't it"? He said, "hell, yea, I did not want him to get away"

Well, we packed up that 45 lb caller walked back to the truck. It was 90* by this time and we are soaking wet. We drive another 1/2 mile down the wash and walk up into a canyon. We noticed in the truck that we were stinking to high heaven. We set up an ambush at the mouth of a canyon, with the caller dead center. I turned on the tape player, no takers on this stand. We were carrying this heavy piece of crap out, when a coyote walked out 40 yard in front of us, and I let him have it with my 7 Mag...#2 is in the bag, but I had dropped my end of that heavy SOB and the 8 track had gotten busted.

Well, we were all pumped up, 2 stands, 2 coyotes. I had bought a hand call. I figured that If I could blow a duck call, a coyote call could not be all that hard. Third stand, I'm blowing on that call, with absolutely no clue what the heck I'm doing, I'm just trying to sound like that Johnny stewart tape. Well, were were exactly 4 minutes into the stand, when one pops into sight at 15 feet, I let him have it with my shotgun...just one shot and he's done for, this one wasn't so tough. About the time my shot quits ringing up the canyon, a my partner shoots 5 more times...he's got one of those real tough ones!

By this time is is 100*, and we are done for. Toting that heavy SOB back and forth to the truck has done us in.

We got home and my wife would not let us in the house. We had to throw away our clothes, and I dismantled that box that the tape player was in.

About two weeks later, we started dunking rabbit urine with rags and hanging up the rags in the trees next to us (our misting technique at the time). What is really wierd, is that we started using a tape player that was a table top cassette player. I have had more coyotes come and stick their noses to that tape player than any caller since, the sound is directed straight up on that type of caller.

Needless to say, we were hooked. In our minds, that rabbit piss had sure worked.

Several weeks later, we went camping in the dessert, slept in a tent. We of course use the rabbit urine, sparying our boots, etc. Well, the coyotes came into camp that night and drug off my hunting partner's pants and both of his boots that he left outside! We know that the rabbit piss is some good $hit, but my hunting buddy has to hunt in a pair of shorts and white tennis shoes the rest of the trip, but be douse the tennis shoes with rabbit urine (just to be sure).

I stopped using Rabbit Urine for a few years. I met up with some guys in Riverside Varmint calling club. None of them used Rabbit urine. I was in Orange County Varmint callers for a number of years, None of them used Rabbit urine. Then joined So. Cal Varmint callers and met this guy that was mising with Rabbit urine when calling at night. He was not quite normal, so I watched him pretty close. On the first stand at night, we pick up a coyote coming in straight to us on a cross wind. In the weak red light, his eyes are tiny, way out there. He starts circling to our right, down wind, very fast. Doug picks up the bottle of rabbit urine and says, "Watch this"! He sprays 4 times on the bottle, pointing the red lens up at the light to catch the exact direction of the breeze. He whispers, "move your gun down wind". I re-position my rifle. We can see the coyotes eyes dancing up and down 200-250 yards out. As he gets the scent of the misting, he freezes and sits there with his head up in the air. I look at him through my scope and shoot him right through the head at 200 yards as he is sniffing the wind.

This same senario presented itself many times through the night, we got 13 that night. I thank God for being alive.

Does this sound familiar Danny B.????

Many times the coyote will pick up the smell and will become a hard charger. You either learn to lead them with a rifle or miss outright, because you are not going to stop them.

This entire topic with misting has been in relation with coyotes. Foxes are another entire story. You just can not even imagine the effect of misting on foxes. When misting with rabbit urine in an area with a fox den, you may just kill a flock of them. We killed so many of them in Mexico, we just quit shooting them.

Before crossing the border into Mexico, we had the habbit of stopping at McDonalds and getting two dozen of the cheap hambergers. We would put them in the cooler and had something to eat when ever anyone was hungry. Well, after the third day, nobody had the guts to eat them, we were down to canned food. So, on one stand we had killed 4 foxes. We drove down the road and this one fox kept following us. We made the decision to give him a free pass on shooting him and leave him for a coyote decoy. Well, we would spray the rabbit urine in the air, and here he would come. He would walk under the truck and do everything but jump in. Finally, we felt sorry for the little bugger since we had shot all his family all to heck, so we opened the cooler and started feeding him hamburgers. He at 4 of them before he finally walked off...we figured the ones with heavy mustard made him thirsty.

Well, by this time we had a whole garbage gag full of tails. We were tired, hungry, and had not had a bath in a week's time. The sardines on the front and back of the truck were really ripe, not to mention the rabbit urine. The area was red hot, but my hunting partners were just give out. I got up and started making a stand by myself. Shooting and running the light by yourself is tough. Well, I'm spraying on the rabbit urine as usual. This bobcat pops up at 125 yards. He will not come in. I get mad, grab the shotgun and a flash light, walk up the hill to him within 35 yards. He is just too dumb to shoot. I walk back to the truck. I look around and he is following me! $hit! I get in the truck, the dumb rascal, comes up and starts scratching on the rabbit urine soaked rag on the front of the truck. He finally eats the whole rag. I feel sorry for the dumb rascal, and feed him a hamburger, also. I have not shot a bobcat since that stand. I feel sure that the bobcat was able to pass that rag.

We continued to spary the rabbit urine in the air everytime we would see the yotes start to circle. Without fail, when they catch the scent cone, they completly change their attitude...you had better get ready to shoot, and have a shotgun ready incase they are hard chagers.

What really confuses guys is two main things, young ones are prone to do just about anything. Young ones (some of them are large for their age) The second thing is that I do believe that coyotes stake off territories and know each other with their specific howls and scents. If they suspect another coyote of being in their territory, all bets and rules are off, they will run in from any wind directon, some one is going to get their A$$ whooped!
These coyotes hard charge right in!

A guy has to have a lot of different plugs and worms in his tackle box when fish'en for yotes because they are not always interested in the same thing.

I do believe that when you have outsmarted a Coyote, you have outsmarted the keenest wild animal on the planet! Trying different ways to outsmart this keen animal has been a great hobby, no doubt!

I have no desire to "mist." I don't care if it works as advertised or not. I kill enough critters to not care to mess with a bunch of animal urine in my vehicle, on my clothes or anywhere else that I have to smell it.

Hunting for me is supposed to be fun. I'm not out to get great numbers or impress anyone. If I have a coyote that comes down wind and zips out of there with his hide, so be it... That's still fun.

"Who is LB?" He's an old guy who... Oh never mind... LB and I go way back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Like it's not been there before? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
I kill enough critters to not care to mess with a bunch of animal urine in my vehicle, on my clothes or anywhere else that I have to smell it.

KEY WORDS
I kill enough critters to not care

here at home I don't so i am interested in any new trick
that may or may not work,, you get 300 cold sets back to back and misting look like something to try..

but when a thread come along like this it turn to sh!t
instead of being productive and getting me the info i need to try it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

just how i see this thred /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I FORGOT ONE THING,,
you are all off topic ,, lets please get back on topic or i am getting Dogboy

YOUR OFF TOPIC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
It takes the IQ of an ice burg to not get this stuff all over you and your truck. We screwed a 1 lb coffee can in each corner of the truck bed where we stuck our spary bottles.

You spray the urine up into the air into the wind, not on each other like you are in a food fight.

On the urine soaked rags and sardines in dark colored socks that we hung from tree limbs on our day stands, we placed them in a zip lock bag and also in a 1 lb coffee can with a lid on it. They never smelled in our trucks using this method. The 1 lb coffee can fit in our fanny packs.

Never underestimate the power of Sardines in oil. Their scent is very heavy and will travel a long ways. Foxes have no will power against the smell of Sardines in Oil in combination with a good call, it simply defrags their little brains.

I always get some on my gloves and ocasionally get a swirling wind and get a face full not so bad once your used to it,my wife doesnt think much of it, but I really dont care. it works! I am very surprised at the folks that worry about getting it in thier vehicle, its not allowed inside of mine I keep it in the back of the truck in a bucket. and have pouch hanging off the back of my atv.its own special place behind everything.

Dogcaller55, I used to hunt in your neck of the woods.

I used a 2' piece of sewing thread on an electrical clip hung from a tree limb next to me so that I could always see the breeze's direction. It only takes a second to put out the electrical clip, and gives you good info quickly as the breezes shifts direction. It also keeps you from squirting the stuff so that it will blow back on you. Boiled horse hoofs is some rank smelling stuff. If you see a coyote that is coming in down wind, you know you had better kill him as soon as you can, and don't wait for him to stop so that you can get a standing shot.

Attractants and Forget the Wind give you an edge when they are coming in down wind, but I still don't take the chance.
I don't go out there to play with them, I go to kill them.

How could this become such a heated topic? Everyone must be bored in the off season. That being said I've never tried scents while calling. I imagine there is potential it could work in certain setups. Kind of like a decoy. Used to draw the attention away from you. If you were say calling into a cross wind with a decoy set X yards in front of you. Scent applied at decoy. Mr. Smart Coyotes likes to circle downwind before coming in as he has danced this dance before. This time he crosses the misted scent stream before he hits the hunters scent stream. It could stop him just long enough, maybe in the open for a shot.

Could work as an extra little tool for those of us calling in the thick woods. Or it may not. No reason to be controversial.

Broknaero
If hes down wind and gets the mist its at the smae time that he gets your scent, the point is that with all the scents at one time he may take a few seconds to sort things out not just rocket away as if he winded you alone.
your right just another tool.

Misting is a great tool when used properly and the formula is correct. I would expect that some of the people that have tried it, were using some concoction that was marginal at best. If it did work it was probably an accident. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I, on the other hand know the exact "Higgins" formula, even down to the percentage of each ingredient used and how the mixture is "cooked". Its a little more complex than most would expect it to be. I'm here to tell you it works even better than Rich has said it does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

It may be like shooting a 243 in a 308 rifle, it goes bang and the bullet goes down range, although the accuracy leaves something to desired. The only redeeming factor is you now have a fireformed case. With the wrong misting formula, you stink and you thing the idea of misting does also.

Gezzz, no secert formula, it's so simple. 50% coyote urine, 50% rabbit urine, mix it with 50% water and strain it a few times to make sure it don't clog up the sprayer.

This is the formula thats been around a long time. The orginal formula was just plan old rabbit urine.

I'm sure that's what Rick O started off with in 63.
What's really funny about all this is LB, Rick O and myself all went to the same high school together.

Higgins, where did you go to high school? It was probably close to us huh lol.

Back