Misting

I'm trying to count how many turns this thread has taken..

I'll see if I can re-cap:

I think it started out talking about misting and guys sharing there thoughts on the subject (GOOD and BAD) but relevant none the less, to include the usual friendly banter. Then it turned into guys just saying it's crap. Then it turned into two mature old guys bickering back and forth with each other who aren't even on the same freakin' board.

Whew......

What was the topic again???

Edited: I removed some stuff because Scott decided to edit his post. Thanks for ruining it for me buddy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Edited by me because the poster removed the comments...

You know what, enough of this... I can see no reason for you posting this. Maybe it would reflect better on you if you stuck to the topic at hand rather than drag an uninvolved person into this mess. Personal disagreements with people on other forums should be left there, and posters here should stick to the business at hand here. The topic in case ya'll have forgotten is MISTING... Dang it guys... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Last edited:
Hey I edited it before anyone got to post so it's like it wasn't even typed! Hahaha

Just having some fun at the expense of others.

Soreloser- I'm far from old. Sorry to make you edit your remarks.

OK, now Misting. This morning I did 3 stands with my camera and misted like there was no tomorrow and had no takers at all. Misting doesn't work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:

Soreloser- I'm far from old. Sorry to make you edit your remarks.

OK, now Misting. This morning I did 3 stands with my camera and misted like there was no tomorrow and had no takers at all. Misting doesn't work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You know I wasn't talking about you...

As far as misting not working because you didn't see anything.. I'm not so interested in that, as I am the fact that you posted a while back that you had been misting but yet the coyote you had pictures of bolted for the next county as soon as he got down wind. So sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And by work I'm mean holds them down wind for a unknown period of time instead of running for safety. Much like not using the misting technique, sometime a coyote will stay downwind and not care, more often they run like the devil.

What I really want to see is comprehensive study of how many coyotes come in down wind and how many stick around because of misting and how many stick around while not misting. Since I do not mist I will keep track of the NON-Misting downwinders during my season this year if you or Rich will keep track of the misters.

Maybe we'll learn something, maybe we won't... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
At least you know where to buy your snake oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That is very true, Crapshot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Hyperwrx has beaucoup pics to verify the consistant efficiency of his snakeoil. How about your pics?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Maybe we'll learn something, maybe we won't..."

The experience obtained in a short time span is not the last word on the subject. When a guy has at least 10 years in the business of calling predators, he can at that time form an educated opinion of said subject.

I stopped counting my anniversaries 30 years ago and still don't profess to know anything about calling and misting. Others could learn from my experience and admit we still don't know much.

Time to get back on topic here and leave the personal digs and cheap shots out. Unless you want to have the thread locked.
It's odd that someone posts here about a "new improved" product or technique and takes the time to post his findings, thoughts and results on it, and instead of taking the info offered or challenging him on his field use or product, the thread ends up in the trash heap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I would think that even the experts could learn something. Whether you use it or don't, doesn't matter. None of us knows so much about calling predators that we can insult someone who has an idea that might improve our success.
The bickering makes us all look like brats and it gets real old.

If you need a refresher on how to post, read the TOS. This is getting ridiculous.

And quit dragging stuff from other boards in here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

This thread is about misting, let's stay on topic.

The reason people get banned from here are private and personal and have it is not our policy to offer public explanations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, Thanks for all the input, for/against misting. It has been very helpful to myself as a less experienced yote hunter than alot of the pros on this forum. I plan on giving it a try this fall with some of the recipes listed above just to see for myself if it may help my luck and to satisfy my curiosity as to its benifits. Thanks again.
Tony

Dan,

I'm not trying to make it the last word on the subject. Don't misquote me. In fact I'm trying to farther the subject.

I for one think that valid information can be formed after a season of calling and seeing several hundred coyotes come to the call and keeping track of how they react to misting and how they react to not misting. It's that simple.

How long you, me or anyone else has been calling and misting is irrelevant to the matter. I can put a NOOB out there and ask him to keep track of the results if that's the case. Instead of name calling and discrediting people, I'm trying to gather facts and information.

Quote:
[What I really want to see is comprehensive study of how many coyotes come in down wind...

+1 That would be valuable info.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
At least you know where to buy your snake oil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That is very true, Crapshot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Hyperwrx has beaucoup pics to verify the consistant efficiency of his snakeoil. How about your pics?

Rich,
The part about the snake oil was taken from your sigline else where. You knew that. No where did I say misting didn't work. I dabbled with it shortly and decided for myself that the stink on myself , clothing, and vehicle wasn't worth the hassle. As far as pics go, I have a few, but I prefer to take the pics after the killing is done. I've never claimed to call large numbers. I have only claimed to call a few and kill a few and enjoy myself doing so at every given chance.

Soreloser, from the comment below, I think that your expectations of what misting does is incorrect, so let me clarify.

"And by work I'm mean holds them down wind for a unknown period of time instead of running for safety. Much like not using the misting technique, sometime a coyote will stay downwind and not care, more often they run like the devil.

What I really want to see is comprehensive study of how many coyotes come in down wind and how many stick around because of misting and how many stick around while not misting. Since I do not mist I will keep track of the NON-Misting downwinders during my season this year if you or Rich will keep track of the misters."

Misting is an attractant that confuses the nose/brain. I have used rabbit urine, sardines, and fish oil. It works as an attractant, and when used on a drag, will get them to follow a predicted path to you when they cross your trail.

Misting is not to be confused with cover scent which eats human bacteria which causes us to stink. Misting will also not cover the scent on the bottom of your boots that you picked up at the gas station "filling up".

When doing so much hunting at night, it never ceased to amaze me at how many yotes circle down wind 300-250 yards out. The 2 yr old yotes want to smell who is up wind, both prey and friend. Some of those fellow yotes are not friendly at all with sharing the groceries with another family member must less with another coyote that is not of their territory.

When we were hunting in Mexico, it amazed me at how many coyotes would always run with their noses in the wind. They want to smell their prey in front of them, and or a larger more dominant coyote.

I, my brother's, and many others have been very successful in trying a cover scent called Forget the Wind. When used properly, it dilutes the human scent so that the parts per million of human order that the coyote picks up is much less than the more powerful Attractant that is used. The attractant simply over powers the nose. Even when not used with an attractant, it is obvious that they don't spook when they cross your trail, which is simply unreal to witness time and time again without fail.

Don't even think of comparing a blood hound's trained nose to a wild coyote...apples and oranges.

The trappers that read this post will laugh their butts off at how some hunters just don't believe that attractants work. Heck, the trappers would never catch anything in their foot hold traps with out some kind of attractant!

So, if you want to increase your odds, use a cover scent and/or an attractant. If you don't want to fool around with them, it's your hobby...take it as serious as you feel necessary to give you self gratification.

In every hobby, you have the personality types that are real serious, and others that are in it just for the fun.

No doubt that when a guy is fortunate enough to live in areas that have high populations of coyotes, his chances of success are much higher without using anything.

Ackleyman,

Thanks, but I really don't have any expectations of misting, as I don't plan on trying it any time soon nor have I in the past.

You are honestly the first person I have seen to think of it as an "Attractant". Up until this point, everything I have read, heard or seen about misting from the "resident guru's" is that misting is a tactic used to confuse or relax the coyote once he got down wind, in hopes that he would stick around for a shot or show himself in a situation when he was downwind, that he normally wouldn't. Much like Scott's coyote in the orchard the other day.

Hence my description of "holding him downwind for an unknown period of time"..

I think this thread and mist is confusing a lot more than the coyotes, I know it's working on me.

I am very well aware of attractants. Have used them my whole life for Deer and also for trapping coon and fox. Never with coyotes. I do not see misting as an attractant and like I said, I haven't read anything about it being an attractant. Maybe I misread some information though.

Okanagan,

What I proposed doesn't have to be difficult or anywhere near complicated. We all hunt and call coyotes. If a coyote comes in or gets downwind somehow, make a note as to whether he stopped, ran away or kept coming. If you kill a coyote before he gets down wind, which you should anyway, it doesn't count for the study. I am only interested in whether or not the coyote got down wind enough to smell the human, which is a pretty large area given the right distance for your scent to "CONE OUT" so to say. I will even keep track of those coyotes that get down wind of the caller, since there is usually enough human scent still there to spook a coyote.

Misting is an attractant, pure and simple with the stuff that I use which is Rabbit Urine, Sardines, and Boiled Horse hoofs. I have no idea of what Rich is using, but I would love to get my hands on some to try.

Sorelooser, I can tell that you are an experienced hunter. As I have read your posts, Forget the Wind will absolutely change your entire precepts about a "scent cone" and how animals will react to you. I don't sell the stuff, nor am I related to the guy that does sell it. The stuff simply works that well and is so simple it is just stupid. Using Forget the Wind has changed our coyote hunting, deer hunting, and elk hunting...none have smelled us since we started using the stuff.

So you can see why using any kind of attractant in combo with Forget the Wind is a HUGE change in hunting concepts.

All of us has had many, many coyotes come charging in, stick their nose to the caller and haul freight...they smelled US! What is unreal is to spray the caller with Forget the Wind and watch the reaction of the yote! When they do not pick up your scent, the reaction is entirely different.

Lots of guys have very sensitive noses and can not stand to be around an attractant, but Forget the Wind has no smell at all and is so safe that you can drink it!

The only reason that I bring up all this stuff is that guys that hunt in the thick or in close range shooting have to be especially aware of a lot more things that can have a +/- effect on their success.

When I was hunting out in open country, none of this stuff was important. As the cover got tighter, misting rabbit urine out of the top of my truck and the truck was wearing 4 wet soaked rags of rabbit urine or sardines helped as the coyotes circled down wind. No doubt that they also smelled the truck or gasoline fumes, but they ignored that many, many times as soon as they got a snoot full of the attractant.

I don't know too much about the attractant "relaxing" the yotes, because I am putting a bullet into everyone of them as soon as I can.

I really don't think that guys should attack each other at all on this forum. In fact, I would hope that a moderator would delete anyone's post immediately that insulted another person...it's simply uncalled for. If people don't discuss different ways of doing things, how do we all keep learning?

I got spanked and had to edit my own posts as punishment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
anyway.....most if not all the attacks were unwarranted and directed at the wrong person as it is. Hopefully folks will be big boys and form their own opinions. Whatever those opinions are, he shouldn't be attacked for it. Share what works for you if you want.

Back