Misting

cm250

Read a story in the latest Predator Extreme magazine last night on "misting". The process of using two or more sents together as a cover sent to confuse the predators nose. Has anyone tried this with success? If so what sents have you used? Was wondering if you could get like three different sents and mix them in a small spray bottle so you would not have to carry three seperate containers.
Thanks, Tony

Maybe you could use 10 and they would fall right over and you would not waste any ammo....Seriously don't you think they deal with this on a daily basis....They are in the wild you know...

Use the search engine. I just put in misting in the subject line only and for hte past 2 years there are 160 hits. Plenty out there about it.

This is very debatable and gets heated when talk about on this sight. I personally don't believe it works though. They are the ultimate predator they live with smells everyday. The only aspect I do agree with is that if they have never smelled coyote urine mixed with moose urine then they may be curious and stand there for a little longer trying to process it all. BUT it is not going to lure them in.

In the off season I take pictures and video of coyotes as it's an enjoyable alternative to shooting them. I need the coyotes to stay on stand as long as possible. To accomplish this I mist every single stand. I see undeniable results.

Most people who heckle misting have never tried misting.

I have not tried it and belong to those who basically think you can't fool a dog's nose, but better predator callers than me believe in misting, ChileRojo for one. That alone is enough to tell me I should not jump to conclusions but give it a hard honest try. I should have done it already but had some initial misting problems due to freezing weather and put it off. It's in the cards for this coming season.

Rich Higgins is one of the most knowledgable about coyotes callers there is. He just might know more about them then all the folks on this site.
Get his video. He has great luck with misting.
Check him out on
Huntmasters forum.
Carl

Misting is not a magic bullet. It can not do what a lot of people try to claim it does.
Is it a cover scent? No.
Is it an attractant? No.
Will it lure in animals? No.
Does it stupefy them so they will stand around in a daze? No.
Does it arouse their curiosity when they get downwind of you and cause them to linger instead of immediately bolting when they hit your scent cone? Absolutely! About 70% of the time.

Don't expect any more than that from misting, and you won't be disappointed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NASA,
While I agree with you overall, You're providing a lot of cut and dried answers relating to animals that are, if nothing else, unpredictable. I agree that misting won't cover your scent and it won't cause them to lose their fear of man, but it can be an attractant (just ask any trapper). When I first started calling coyotes, I pulled out all the stops, trying everything I could all at once in order to gain any possible advantage. Over time, I've discarded most of them and am at least as successful.

Although, like Arcticfox, better callers than me swear by misting, I've never hunted with them, I suspect they prefer different terrain and I know their techniques are a bit different. As with shooting, I prefer to keep it simple and stick with the fundementals: Analyze the terrain, work the wind to your best advantage, take any luck you can get, shoot straight, analyze what did or didn't happen on a stand and hunt all day. - John

I do it all the time, but I combine misting with fogging. I mist a little on my boots when I have to take a leak and fog a little from the back end while on stand from the jalapeno burrito I had for breakfast that morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually you left out staining. I've been there when I'm sure your fogging was more intense and animated than you had planned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I know it was too much for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I only use fogging. My advice on misting is try it see if it's for you. Just don't plan on being popular at parties while practicing the technique.

Rules in the hunting realm are made by people. Wild animals don't play by the rules.

There are two words that should NOT be used when describing hunting situations; Always and Never...........

Quote:
I do it all the time, but I combine misting with fogging. I mist a little on my boots when I have to take a leak and fog a little from the back end while on stand from the jalapeno burrito I had for breakfast that morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My uncle likes to use what we call the "green mist" it has been known to be a great bug/people bomb. Everyone and everything will clear the area because of the lack of oxygen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Misting isn't magic. It does however work as a confusion tactic. I just took one this morning using the misting technique. I actually watch the young male put his nose in the air and sniff around for 30 seconds or so. Never mind he was 20 feet away from me on my direct left in a cross wind. Anyone who thinks it doesn't work should give it a try. I was once a fence sitter on the issue, but I am convinced in the "lingering" of the coyotes. And as Hyperwrx stated, it works wonders while taking photos!

Quote:
Misting isn't magic. It does however work as a confusion tactic. I just took one this morning using the misting technique. I actually watch the young male put his nose in the air and sniff around for 30 seconds or so. Never mind he was 20 feet away from me on my direct left in a cross wind. Anyone who thinks it doesn't work should give it a try. I was once a fence sitter on the issue, but I am convinced in the "lingering" of the coyotes. And as Hyperwrx stated, it works wonders while taking photos!

+1
it really does work!

Quote:
it can be an attractant (just ask any trapper

John, I have to disagree with that. Attractants work for trappers for one reason. Time. They make their set, douse the area with A-1 steak sauce, then ....... go home. 24, 48, or 72 hours later they come back and check if anything wandered by and checked out the "attractant".

Predator callers, on the other hand, make a stand in a likely area, call for 10 to 20 minutes, then move on down the road and do it all over again.

Trappers do their thing in an area where they expect animals to show up within a day or two. An attractant is intended to draw a passing animal into the vicinity of the trap.

Predator callers do their thing in areas where they expect the animals to already be in the area, and within earshot. A hand call or e-caller is intended to draw the animal into the range of his rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Misting simply takes advantage of the coyotes natural instinct to move into the down wind position of a situation they are uneasy with.

5.gif

Last edited:
I've seen the misting technique used and can confirm that it will work, in the proper given conditions. Personally, I don't want to bother with it, as I have enough crap to bring to a stand as it is. Besides, that stuff really stinks!

Back