Kill light XLR 250

I tested my new XLR250 w/red LED last night at a private "range" out in the hills miles from town. I sighted in my rifle at dusk, zero'd at 200 yards laser verified, Nikon Buckmasters scope. Then I waited till it was completely dark to test the light. No moon tonight.

I shined the red XLR250 on my 200 yard target, a brown weathered 4x4 plywood backing with a white sheet of paper for a target. I could BARELY see the sheet of paper thru my scope on any power and I could not see the black 3-inch square printed on it at all. Then I shined the light at various trees, rocks, etc from zero to 600+ yards. It easily reflected light from roadside reflectors out to 400 yards, as far as the terrain allowed.

My opinion after one brief test... I'm a little dissappointed so far. The reviews I've read here seem overly generous. Sure this is a great light for 100 yards and closer, maybe out to 150. A lot of terrain I hunt doesn't even allow shots that far so it'll work no problem at closer ranges. But out in open terrain I don't think it will provide enough light to positive ID much of anything past 150-ish. Sure it will reflect eyes WAY out there, but not ID. Perhaps the white LED performs better? I will test more soon.

If the XLR250 is the same light as the Destroyer, the Destroyer website only advertise 120 yards for the red light, compared to the multiple claims made here of 200-250 yards...
huh.gif

I have had instances where I can easily see a target at 200 yards with my XLR 250 and in some conditions that distance is cut in half. It depends a lot on how good your scope is in low light and on weather conditions as well as the color of the background. I can see the target more clearly on a brown background like a cut soybean field than I can against a green hayfield. It helps if you also have a sunshade on your scope and a halo shield on the light. My light is mounted under barrel so it is completely ahead of my scope. I found that I could see better with it mounted like that. I was getting too much light back into my scope with it mounted on top of the scope.

As for the 12 volt adapter cord for the charger - I checked with Elusive Wildlife Technologies, LLC and they said that there were two types of chargers that had been shipped and only a few of them included the 12 volt adapter cord for the charger. The 12 volt cord is not normally included and at this time future orders will not include the adapter.

Sometimes it hard to tell the difference between truth and exxageration. For example, Elusive Technologies has claimed 900 lumens from their XLR250 Kill Light (I've heard it on TV, and from one of their distributors). With the type of LED technology actually being used in this light, it's closer to 200-250 lumens. What is likely true is that the "body design and heat sinking capabilities" of the light is capable of handling the heat dissipated by an LED module up to 900 lumens (for example, an SST-90 type LED). But things get stretched....... so we really have to rely on the accurate feedback of the forum members.

Originally Posted By: Pacecar...so we really have to rely on the accurate feedback of the forum members.

Good luck, there is too much sphincter smooching for that. I'm not saying all the reviews are bad, but when you have to make an effort to seperate the good from the bad, you might as well buy it and make your own opinion. I think people over spend on lights and e-callers and then exagerate their usefulness to justify a bad money decision.

Originally Posted By: smilinIBOriginally Posted By: Pacecar...so we really have to rely on the accurate feedback of the forum members.

Good luck, there is too much sphincter smooching for that. I'm not saying all the reviews are bad, but when you have to make an effort to seperate the good from the bad, you might as well buy it and make your own opinion. I think people over spend on lights and e-callers and then exagerate their usefulness to justify a bad money decision.

The company told me that if I didn't like it all I had to do was send it back and they would refund my money, no questions ask. That is what I based my decision on. If it had not been satisfied with it I would have sent it back in a New York minute.

Last edited:
Most* of my night shots are between 25-125 yards depending on the terrain. So this light will work fine for actually taking the shot. (Killed one fox last year at 155 yards laser verified with the 17HMR).

The problem I see is if you can't ID what kind of critter is coming in to the call until it gets up close 100-150 yards or less. That's kinda at the critical last minute in wide open terrain when they start circling downwind or hang up or whatever and you have to make a decision. But if you still can't ID it at that point, then you're in trouble. Is that a deer? Or a cow? Or a coon? Or a feral cat? Or what? I'd prefer to ID stuff a little further out to give me time to adjust for the shot or ignore it as soon as possible to focus on something I can shoot at. Once I see eyes way out there I'll have to devote a large portion of my attention to them until I can ID what it is. Meanwhile I may miss a predator that is approaching from another angle because I'm busy trying to figure out what the first pair of eyes is. See what I mean?

People here have been saying 200+ yards for positive ID which is a lot better than 100-150 yards.

The lights work for me, that's is ALL I worry about. What works for one my not work for all. I can see eyes at a distance that is farther than I would ever shoot. I will not shoot over 125-150 well maybe 150-175 yards at night with my AR. I'm just not comfortable shooting farther than that. Sure I can see eyes or reflections WAY past that but I'm not 100% positive what it could be. So to me, the 250 yard distance is a non issue. It will shine eyes at that distance period. Someone said and I'm not sure about this, but if your not satisfied the company will return your money. Don't like it send it back. For a red LED you can't go wrong. I feel better using red, MY eyes don't strain using red. I also feel that the critters are more at ease using red. JMPO

Quote:Sure I can see eyes or reflections WAY past that but I'm not 100% positive what it could be. So to me, the 250 yard distance is a non issue That's the whole issue I'm discussing here, is that there have been multiple reports of being able to positively ID critters at 200-250 yards. If you can positively ID that far, then there's no reason to feel uncomfortable about a shot that far.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOG
Based on my initial testing, either I got a faulty unit, or these claims are exadurated.

If the XLR250 is the same light as the Destroyer, the Destroyer website only advertise 120 yards for the red light, compared to the multiple claims made here of 200-250 yards...
huh.gif

I have used the XLR250 light for about a month and it's a solid 150 yard light and no more for shooting or ID. That was pretty much what I expected though so I wasnt surprised by it and it suits me just fine for my style of night hunting.

I did say something about it though and was told "maybe I got a bad battery",which was not the case. If someone has one that works out past 250,I'd pay money to see it.......

Either way it's a great light and I wouldnt think of sending it back.

Originally Posted By: beaglerAll of my shots are well inside 100 yards, mostly inside 50 yards. The light works great for my type of hunting.

Ditto Beagle.
thumbup1.gif

I've pulled the trigger 4 times since I've been out, with two of the shots at or near 80 yds and I have collected 4 dead critters. I think the light is a good value for the money and I'm pleased with it... It fit's my hunting style to a T.

bootmud

I ordered mine last week and it came with the momentary switch not the on/off switch. I thought it was going to come with the on/off switch.

I'll eat some of my words here.

I killed a coyote on my first stand of the season tonight, and I did it with the XLR-250 Kill Light. Not sure of the distance but it was roughly 200 yards in a freshly plowed field. I would have liked for it to come closer and it would have, but my partner told me to "shoot it now or I'm going to". So I shot it. We both had our spotlights on it (his was a halogen spotlight) and we both ID'd it as a coyote.

I still think 200-250 is pushing the limits of this light with the red LED for positive identification. I still think 150 is more reasonable, maybe less on a night with the moon out or misty air or whatever.

But I will be keeping my light for sure!

fe614e44.jpg

Back