Kill light XLR 250

Steve, I have froze the batteries in my freezer at -6 degrees for 2 plus hours with no ill effects. I cannot say that I have actually tested them in extreme cold yet though.

J.Weber

Good to hear. I did a little research and it seems that there can be some problems with Li-on batteries in the cold with long term exposure (such as leaving them in a cold vehicle for a long period). Apparenlty, what we need to do is keep the spares in a pocket close to your body to keep them warm. The one in the light will be fine becasue it will be generating it's own heat (if you are scanning with it) as you use it and will only be in the cold for watever time it takes you to make a set and get back to your vehicle. (my partner is old and cranky, so that is usually only 30 minutes when it is real cold) I was told that keeping everything warm in this way should give almost 100% of battery capacity. Should be good to go.

If you use a light for just shooting, it might be a better choice to just use 2 CR123 primary batteries in that light, as their ability to stand up to the cold is much better than the 18650's. I know that the 250 light can use CR123's, not sure about the 100? Maybe Jermiah can jump in again with the answer to that.

Steve

I'm not Jeremiah but I checked with Chad Stevenson, President and CEO of Elusive Wildlife Technologies a while back and he said you can use the CR123 batteries in both the XLR100 and XLR 250 but DO Not use the rechargeable CR123's or it will blow the LED.

I think if I carry my lights and spare batteries in my pocket between stands the 18650 batteries will be OK.

Hey guys,
New to predatormaster. Just started coyote hunting this year. I have shot 6 so far. I wanted to get your opinions on which light would be beter for night hunting. I have been looking at the XLR250 or the laser genetics ND3-40. All of yall seem to love the xlr250. I called laser genetics and they said that the nd3-40 will not die out in cold weather because the cold weather dying has been resolved. Also if you think I should go with the xlr250 what color light should i get? What should i get for a scaning the area that im hunting? I was thinking about getting a 100 for scaning and a 250 for the scope! Many thanks for your replys!

John

Get both, you can't go wrong for the price. And they are great combo. I'm using the 250 for scanning ( I attach it to a head strap) and the 100 mounted to my gun. I prefer red to the harsh white light of some of the other set-ups. Comes down to personal preference. What works for some won't work for others. good luck

My question about them before I purchase one soon is if I am using a red dot scope which would be the better choice green or blue. I say those because I assume the red dot would not be visible with a red light. Mine would be used for nighttime hogs with my crossbow as we can't predator hunt at night.

If your red dot intensity is adjustable, then I'd recommend the red XLR250/Destroyer. The end cap light switch comes on high, then medium, then off. For crossbow distances, use the medium. Definitely don't use blue. Hogs can see blue. After looking at blue for a while, you might get a headache. And the green seems to work OK on hogs (maybe not yotes), but red is better for preserving your night vision.

I have a Bushnell Trophy Red & Green Dot Reticle Scope mounted on my SG. I'm running a XLR250 on a head strap. NO problem seeing either the red or green, dot,X, or circle dot while running the flashlight. Hmmm,,,, my XLR250 has only one setting-high. I'm using the pressure switch. I have not seem where I would want to use a med. setting on my 250. I guess it would be nice.

I'm using a Destroyer on low to scan(Destroyer is basically the same light as the xlr 250) and the xlr 250 on the rifle. Use any color you want..... just as long as it's RED!

Don't know about the new laser genetics stuff, but the old ND-3 was junk! It wouldn't work in the cold, and the funky green light scared critters! This isn't rumor, BRB had one and we tried it a bunch...it ended up on ebay!

1der, The Destroyer can be had with a high/low tailcap. My xlr 250 just has off and on. Ask Whiteknuckle if the hi/low switch is available for the xlr 250.

How are the batteries? Decent quality? There are better batteries for a few bucks more, possibly brighter or last longer? Any thoughts?

Does the charger have a green light "full" indicator to show when the batteries are fully charged?

How long does it take to fully charge a battery say from 25% up to 100%?

Yes the charger does have a green light full indicator. I have no way of telling if a battery is at 25% to start with. From my experience they take about 5-6 hours to charge up to full after I have drained one.

J.Weber

One thing about the chargers spring end is the spring is to long. You have to be careful when inserting a battery, the spring does not compact very well. BUT it does work very well. I have a charger from another company that is crap. I have found that the batteries do take 5-6 hours to recharge. Depends on how long you use them between charges. I'm getting 2-3 stands before I put the batteries on charge.

Originally Posted By: 1derbeagler: I have a Olight M20 Warrior mounted to my 12GA (white LED) and have a head band to hold my 250. Also have a Bushnell Trophy red-green dot mounted on the shotgun. I can light up eyes well past 250 yards. I'll watch them come in, scanning over the critter so I don't burn them. It's been working for me. We can't shoot fox until next Monday, had a few come in and the 250 didn't bother them. My partner is using a PL and it hurts my eyes to look at his light after seeing red for 45 minutes.

What kind of headband holds the light? Any pics of it?

thanks

KEC

I also have the lightforce and am tired of dragging the battery around and dealing with the wires. I have mounted it on a shooting stick, the gun barrell, the scope, and now have it mounted to a boat cleat which I hold between my fingers and scan but can easily support the gun when it's shooting time. I like the light but it is cumbersome for me to use (and of course I hunt alone). I always felt that a single light on a gun and using it for scanning was a bit dangerous but also caused alot of movement as you were swinging the gun like a flag during the scanning process. I have also tried NV scopes and did not like them either for the same reason. Besides-my arms get tired quick swinging all that weight around. My perfect solution would be the Night vision Monocular with an IR laser - no aiming just point and pull the trigger when the dot hits home - but $5K is a bit of a big pill to swallow for me to kill coyotes.

I think these lights may be better suited for me after everything I have read.

I wonder if the 250 can be mounted to something similar to a headlamp for scanning purposes and the 100 mounted to the gun for shooting purposes. Anyone know or have any ideas. I have read one member uses a headband but it's kind of hard to picture.

Thanks

Kevin

kec: Try this link

http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-headband.html

The XLR250 fits great on this. I have used it with a regular hat and a warm stocking cap.
I hope the link works. Good luck.
Used this set-up tonight to scan a yote and used the 100 mounted on my scope to make the shot. Missed of course, like I did on a red the other night. The light did it's job I can't close the deal.

Back