Kill light XLR 250

FYI, I do not use a bipod for predator hunting, this is for picture taking only! For 2MG, no cracks about the A Bolt, it was left to me by a departed friend, besides it really shoots good!
I did not use the mounts that come with the light. They are perfectly serviceable for most folks, but I like the ease of removal and transfer of my mounting system.
Here are some pics:
XLR250RIFLEMOUNT010.jpg

XLR250RIFLEMOUNT009.jpg

XLR250RIFLEMOUNT001.jpg

XLR250RIFLEMOUNT013.jpg

XLR250RIFLEMOUNT014.jpg

F1

6mm06 said:
You guys have got me curious now. I like the sound of the XLR 250.

Question please, since the light shines so well to distances of 200 yards and beyond, how is it for close shooting? Is it a more narrow beam? I assume it is.

If hunting distances less than 200 yards, more like 100 yards, would you use the XLR 100 instead?

Also, a little bit different topic, but related to Elusive Wildlife TEch. feeder lights. I notice they have green LED feeder lights. Does anyone have experience with these lights? I'm curious if they light enough to see under shooting conditions at a distance.

Would these lights be compatible with night vision scopes, or is the LED not good for night vision?
=========================================================
David,
I think the light would work well up close. I would use the 250 for general predator hunting. A halo shield is a worthwhile accessory! Personally, I don't care for green light. My somewhat limited experience with different green lights, was disappointing. Green appears as very light, or white to canine eyes, so why not just use a white light? I'm stuck on red light for hunting in the East. I've killed lots of stuff with white lights over the years, but red just seems to be less alarming to critters. Maybe it's the placebo effect, but it works for me and I'm sticking to it!!
From my also limited experience with night vision equipment, you do not want to add any additional light of any color. IR illuminators are the only "light source" you want to use.
F1

I just purchased this same light and so far I love it! I think this light will be great as a shooting light, it's compact, light weight, and very bright. I purchased some xtra batteries so running out of light won't be an issue at all.

101_1415.jpg

101_1418.jpg

anyone used one in the winter yet??? my buddy uses a sure fire..and it seems ok in winter weather....i imagine these would be no different...but you never know till there tryed....like anything else...also seems some lights ive seen advertised here work well..for some..and others buy them and say there not what they were supposed to be....

Last edited:
While it's not the light you are asking about, and we can't hunt with artificial lights, here is my Surefire mounted on my Armalite...

030.jpg

My handguard has a weaver mount at the front and when the bipod is removed, all I have to do is hit the switch with my finger/thumb to activate it...Weight wise, you never know it is there..

It comes in handy if you run across a dark area like a potential den, cave, etc...

That's a good lookin set-up you got there OT!

I ordered an XLR-250 from Jeremiah. Was thinking of ordering one of these mounts for my R-15.

Light Mount

You fellers have any input on this mount or suggestions for a better one?

hillbilly1,
Make sure of the inside diameter of the flashlight mount. The XL250 is almost 1 1/16" in diameter on the knurled round part of the body. Most 1" rings will work even if you have to turn the light so the flats of the body are vertical. This will make it easier for split rings to mate and clear the screws.
Just make sure the flashlight mount is at least 1" ID.
The XL 250 is a great light! Critters will hate it
thumbup1.gif

I used different mounts....I also spent a lot more $
ohmy.gif

F1

Where would be the best place to order this XL light at? What is the grey cover over the scope in the first picture? What attacthments will i need for it to fit my AR?

That grey cover is a soft shade that will keep the light from shining on the rifle it is mounted on. If the light reflects back into the scope, it will severely reduce your ability to see downrange at your target. That shade keeps the light in the "Channel" and off of the gun so you can see better.

And it is soft and will not make any sound if bumped.

You can find the lights here.

http://www.elusivewildlife.com/products.htm?section=22&p=productMore&iProduct=309

Last edited:
You can also get the light from Whiteknuckle at Boondock Outdoors. Just check the other thread under night calling. Jeremiah makes the soft halo shields, so you can get the light and shield from the same place.
F1

Ok guys just a quick follow up..

I got my XLR250 red light from Jeremiah last week and I got a chance to play with it last weekend. I took it out to my dads property and put my bulldog into a down/stay at 100 yards away, it was the farthest I could put him in down/stay because that is all that was mowed. I could see my dogs eyes at 100 yards easy, I did not have a scope or a gun. It was a very dark night and when I called my dog to come all I could see is bouncing glowing eyes in the halo .. it was the spookiest thing I have ever seen.. Just glowing bouncing eyes in the dark...It was pretty COOL.

So today it is raining pretty hard and I wanted to see how far it would go in these crappy conditions. So the wife and I drove to one of our coyote hunting spots and walked to the field. Now this field is about 600 yards long. I shined the light way in the back where there is a patch of corn field at 600 yards and I picked up the biggest eyes staring right at us!!!!!! And the eyes seemed way to far apart to be a deer.. so I have no Idea what is was. It does shine far away thats for sure.. There are no cows in the area, so I know it was not a cow.. Maybe it was Sasquatch?? Well at least thats what my wife said it was anyways.

I just wanted to let everyone know how well the light works in the red led. I think I will get another one that's for sure.. I really love this light..

I think the throw and halo is perfect.. I dont think I could make it better. Hope that helps some people out that are looking for a really good light.

Dan

Last edited:
The advantage would be its red led over the white.

I was hunting with a stream light stinger HP before I got the XLR250. and had no luck seeing critters or anything, and that thing would throw 250 yards lighting the whole field and splash onto me. Heck even when I was going to my coyote hunting spot the deer would run away.

But with this red led light they don't seem to care what I am doing. They will stay in the field with me when I am calling. And that's no BS either. I couldn't believe it!! it was like I belong there or something.

With this red led, night critters don't care about it to much about it. It is almost like it has some curious factor with the local deer.
I will never go back to white lights that's for sure. Now I know why everyone uses red. You see more game.

The XLR 250red seems to have a very good throw to about 250 yards, after that it seems to fad away but you will still pick up eye a really long, long, ways away.

The spill on the light is perfect not to wide and not to narrow, and no spill on you either and that's a big plus.

I have had the light on for about 1 hour in the stand and it does not heat up at all, which I thought that it might, since the president of the company said its rated for 900 lums. It works out perfect.. when your in your stand for a hour, just put in a new battery when you go to your next stand. I just ordered some extra batteries so I can go from stand to stand all night long.

OH and the other added advantage that I realized using this light is that you get to keep your natural night vision. Your natural night vision usually takes a half hour to start working if it is hit by a white light. With the red led you don't have to worry about that. No more blindness

Back