ICOtec Electronic Predator Callers

I have had the GC500 for about 3 weeks so far. I like it a lot compared to my old Spitfire. It has a very good easy use remote that has great remote range. So far I have had it out to over 150yards out of line of sight and have had no issues. While it is not as loud as I may like in some cases it is crystal clear at max volume. I have only called one in with it so far, never got a shot off, but over all solid call for the money.

So I decided to try out the Icotech GC300.

It came in yesterday and I must say I did like the feel of it and the durable plastic. The sounds seemed pretty good. I havent had any distortion issues with it. You do have to press the buttons firmly to make it work but its not that big of a deal. Ive only tested the range out to 50 yards since im hunting the woods. It uses 4 AA batteries on the speaker and something weird like a 21A battery for the remote(it came with this battery). It has a jack on the back for an external speaker. The remote is NOT backlit, which means you have to memorize the buttons or have a light with you if you hunt at night.

Now for the field results...First I must say that I have probably been the most unsuccessful coyote hunter on this site. I have had well over 50 dry stands and 2 years of coyote hunting and have only ever killed 1 coyote and I was actually deer hunting. I live in NY so I always assumed that the coyotes here are too smart for calls. I am pretty bad at hand calls so I feel as though I need an e caller.
WELL....I went out into the woods at dusk and set the caller 35 yards away. I was facing the caller and after sitting for about 15 minutes, i started calling using the cottontail distress. Only 10 minutes after I started calling, a coyote came from my right. I didnt want to mess up so i wanted to get a shot off before it was too late. Well, I got too anxious and made too much noise while trying to turn in my seat to get a comfortable shot. It heard me and scurried off. So I was still unsuccessful but that was actually my first coyote that I have called in. And it came in very quickly.

Now the BAD news...I decided to go on a hunt this morning and brought the caller. On my first stand, nothing. On my second stand, the caller didnt work. The lights were working, batteries were brand new and the caller was only 35 yards away. Its like the speaker and remote werent communicating. I looked at the ICOtech website and did their recommendation and restarted the speaker and remote connection but it still didnt work.

Needless to say I was going to contact Icotech and get a replacement but Im getting a Foxpro wildfire 2 as a birthday present instead so Im just going to send the Icotech back. In conclusion, I dont believe this is actually a bad call. I think I was one of the few people who just got a defect....things happen even with the best equipment. This call does have good reviews and is currently on sale for $62 on Amazon. I feel like this would be a good starter call and I doubt anyone would have my luck.

Last edited:
I have read lots of reports from callers to let things "Simmer Down" Before calling.. Now weather that is right or wrong? Who knows? But maybe this fellow read the same advice? JMO. I know that I just set up and start calling. Maybe that is My biggest fault? lol

I think that it just depends upon where you hunt. If the Animals see you but don't hear anything for a while they kind'a forget that you were there. That is the premise. Will they fall for it? That is the unproven part from what I have seen. All that you can do, is see what happens in your area. Good luck.

ok guys now that you have had a chance to use these callers whats your thoughts
pros? cons? I'm mostly concerned with sound quality and sound effectiveness and reliability of the unit
Remote distance and loudness not so much but are also considerations
I don't expect it to replace the fox pro but it would be nice if the 350 and 500 would be an option for a entry level caller

I have 2 of the 300's for about three years now, satisfied for the money, longer remote range tha my Foxpro, not real load but good enough unless windy

I have owned the gc300 and now the gc500. I really like the gc500. The remote is easy to use with the raised buttons, and no line if sight is great! I will say that the sound of the 300 on high seamed distorted on certain calls, however there is absolutely no distortion on the 500. Quality of the sounds are great being wildlife technologies. My buddy has the FoxPro spitfire and I find them to be pretty equal. Highly recommend it for the money.

So far the GC500 has been great for me. There are only 2 things I would change.

1. Volume at times I personally wish it was louder but then you may lose the crystal clear sounds

2. the handle I personally would prefer an enclosed handle just to make it a little easier to hang in a bush/tree fence...

I really cannot stress how much I like the remote range which is why I favor it over my Spitfire. The range is not always needed but when you need it you need it.

OK guys I would have thought there would have been more feedback but OK that's the way it go's some times.
Every one has a fox pro so I thought these units would change things up a bit and maybe turn out to be a great second caller for the over called and shy coyotes giving different sounds and at a price the average guy can afford for a back up caller. Also that the entry level guy can afford. Just food for thought.
Thanks so much to the guys who did respond your input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again and good hunting
Ace

I've had my gc500 about 4 months like has been said remote range is great easy to use the handle on the caller I didn't like at first but I love it now the caller is front heavy so you can hook it on a tree limb or fence and it stays the sound quality is good not as loud as a cs24 but it is not a $600 caller the biggest thing I have found is if you don't have good quality sounds your putting on the caller it will not sound good I like the size of the caller I can put it in my coat pocket and go I'm a hand caller and I use this caller to complete the set while calling so I don't need a loud e-caller for the thick woods I call and the style of calling I do

Thanks for the review pokeyjeeper
A cupola questions the gc500 comes with 24 preloaded sounds by wildlife technologies
are these sounds not good or of low quality? The web site says there adding a free hi quality sound library in the near future. As for loudness is it as loud as say your hand calls? or say as loud as other entry level callers
Thanks in advance
Ace

i have the 300 and have got three yotes with it . so i was talking to a hard core guy a couple weeks ago and was told to put a piece of foam in front of the speaker to improve the sound quality . i can't tell the difference but the old lady can. says it sounds better.

Originally Posted By: Foggy scopeThanks for the review pokeyjeeper
A cupola questions the gc500 comes with 24 preloaded sounds by wildlife technologies
are these sounds not good or of low quality? The web site says there adding a free hi quality sound library in the near future. As for loudness is it as loud as say your hand calls? or say as loud as other entry level callers
Thanks in advance
Ace the sounds that are on the caller are great sounding but a few of the 24 I would not use when predator calling as far as the free sounds that ico tec has I can not give you any input on those

All of the sounds that come with the call sound great. As far as volume goes I would say it's at least equal to most hand calls although it's hard for me to tell as I'm sitting closer to the hand call than the ecall lol. I think it has the volume of a wildfire or spitfire. I'm going to the store today to get a SD card to put the free sounds on the caller. I have no idea what the sounds are but I'll download them and give them a try.

On the web sit it says coming soon so inless there's somthing i missed were wating for new sounds to come out
im wating to see how this caller works out for thoughs who have them and how iotec handels its development
thanksfor all your replys and please keep us updated on how thay are working for you
thanks again
ace

Back