Go Home Pheasant Hunters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
How many times has an out of stater asked to hunt your land? Have you ever said yes?

We got about 10 or so that ASKED this year. Of the 10, we let 7 of them hunt. In every case, my brother, father, or I would just go with them! Heck... in one case their was a vet in a wheel chair. I didn't even hunt... I just drove him around in my truck. Most of the time we just told them to jump in the crew and they'd hunt with us. (more people = better hunts, easier to chase birds) Of the 7 groups we let hunt... only 3 groups were tolerable in their mannerisms. The other four didn't get to stay past the first walk, for various reasons. (we dont like people shooting our property or cattle... or in one case RELATIVES.) The ones we didnt let hunt, rubbed us the wrong way right off the get go. Acting all pompus and in some cases flashing money around to compensate.

In no case did we accept money for letting them come on our pheasant haven, and getting their limit.

Y'all can keep barking about my attitude all you want. Fact is that EVERY SINGLE PERSON that we've caught tresspassing in the last 5 years has been an OUT OF STATER. ONE local 5 years ago... and musta been 5 more years prior to that since the last time it happened.

Pretty quick to defend those scumbags aren't you? Nevermind the fact that every hunting handbook and safety course you can find tells you that a responsible hunter is NOT SUPPOSE TO TRESSPASS. PERIOD.

It sickens me to see so many on this board come to the defense of the TRESSPASSING SCUMBAG. Out of stater or not.

See and you'll argue that with me till the sky turns purple. What you don't seem to get is that the vast majority of these "NON LOCAL's" do not respect ANYTHING here. They come like robbers in the night and feel they can do whatever they want.

Until you own land around Huron, Wolsey, Hitchcock, Iroquois, Yale, Cavour, Wessington, Carpenter, Woonsocket, Wessington Springs or anywhere in between in South Dakota... you just won't have a clue what it is like having all these untold THOUSANDS of extra people around... and having them take advantage any way they can.

Lets not forget that I also said there were about 10% that were worth a spit. I will say that so far our experiences with people from wisconsin have been VERY good. Havn't had one bad experience with them. Same goes for nebraska, montana, wyoming, or north dakota folks. Noticing a pattern here? Heck, TEXAS is the only state that isnt in the midwest that we havn't had any trouble from either.

Now on the converse, the list of license plates that ROUTINELY give us problems is very long. I won't even get started on minnesotans or Iowegans. Due to those states close proximity to our little pheasant paradise... we have MANY a bone head filter accross the border to pillage.

I realy don't think anyone is defending the "TRESSPASSING SCUMBAG. Out of stater or not." What is giving many heart burn is how upset you are about it. I think if I was in your shoe I might feel the same way. But I think you might have a heart attack over it. Phesant opener around where I live is a zoo as well. My brother-in-law was shot by a 14 year old kid with # 2 shot, while he was feeding cows on our farm. the shot went in almost 2 inches. He still has two in him they could not get out. I no longer hunt the opener, but wait a few days and it dies out. We have never lost a cow or had real property damage though.

By the way I saw your bowfishing site. I am going to bring up a bunch of guys from Utah and Minn to trash up your lakes to. Just kidding.

I am happy your have let some people on. All of the Hunters who have asked us to hunt or fish have NEVER caused problems for us. I am supprized you did not find the same.

Good Luck and I hope it mellows out in a few days.

Man you are 1 intense dude!!!!!!

We get alot of outofstaters runnin around with high powered
rifles. Elk,deer,antlope there are some that probably
should not have water guns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. A lot of public land around here so you have to deal with it for a few weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifFortunatly most of them are pretty weak hearted so when the snow flies and it cools down they scatter.

I have been pheasant hunting in sodak not in pheasant central though, I can only imagine the dandies you get coming through town.

These other fellers are right there are alot of towns here that depend on out state money
(summer tourism,hunting,skiing,snowmobiling)

No offense but I'm not sure what else sodak has to offer other than pheasant hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Just my.02 good luck and keep your head down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Pheasants are by far our most popular attraction. We have other qualities as well, but none that draw this many people.

Yes... I am intense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Everybody tells me that. Ask anybody that knows me and they will tell you the same. hehe Most appreciate my intensity. I get very involved in stuff.

Thanks for checking out the site btw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you ever want to go out and stick some fish, just post up there and I'm sure you'll get a list of volunteers.

Sorry Orkan, you may own the land, but the state owns the animals. I suggest you run for city council if you don't like your whore neighbors making a buck off their land.

To keep the poachers out, do like we do here in Texas. High fence! Relax dude, at least you (or your parents) are lucky enough to own a farm.

I hunt around Cavour and woonsocket, never saw any broken windows on any houses or any dead cows. Hmm
We stop in at the coonhunter bar at nite for refreshments and food and non of the locals said they where unhappy with us being there. I willbe going out there next week-end and i will ask around about how the locals feel about us out of staters being there. If its so badd funny there are'nt people at the border with picket signs asking us to turn back.. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Get rid of all the birds on your place and your problem is solved.You wouldnt want to utilize those birds anyway,they might have been helped in some way by the money that the evil out of state bird hunters dump into your economy.Better yet sell the farm and then TRY to move to a place where there is decent hunting and NO out of state hunters showing up,wont happen.Every state with great hunting of whatever kind has a big influx of hunters during their season and the smart people take advantage of them by offering,access,lodging,guiding,ect.ect.Ill bet you could make more off a single season of out of state bird hunters than the farm pays in a whole year,seams that your neighbors have figured it out.Come to any decent hunting area in Montana from Sept 1 -NOV 26 and try to tell me I know nothing about crowds of out of state hunters,you are lucky they just want to shoot the birds and go home,they come here to shoot game and then move here.

Last edited:
Quote:
you are lucky they just want to shoot the birds and go home,they come here to shoot game and then move here.

If you don't have a problem with them... then why wouldn't you want them moving there?

Oh I see... its only a problem when its in YOUR state. Gotcha.

As I said... the real problem is NOT the friggin hunters. Its how the majority of them behave themselves. Judging by the responses here from abroad... I can certaintly see why I have such a problem with tresspassers.

It's only a problem if they are on YOUR ground eh?

*shakes head*

WOW you have DERAILED!Guess you just gonna have to get over it,more and more will come every year and your state will profit,the people will prosper,the game will benefit and you will still be pissed if you dont learn to get along with them.99.9% of the out of state hunters I meet here are the most curtious and good spirited good ole boys in the world,by far more pleasent to hunt around than some of the locals and way more likley to respect the rights of property owners and appreciate the access some provide.I have hunted pheasent in Eastern MT and I have seen the huge first week out of state philson adorned crowds that you are so sick of,but you know what?They spend their money and go home,its a huge shot in the arm for these small communitys and they welcome them with open arms,try to look beyond your front yard at the real imkpact they have on your less than industrious state.

You bet I've derailed. Having that which is yours trampled without respect... and the people doing it being from some far away lands will do that to a guy.

Sorry nonya... but you must be one of those "nice guys" I was talking about earlier in the thread. I'll be sure to come hunt your ground and eat your food too. Obviously you don't mind.

You people are showing me EXACTLY why these pricks tresspass. "We pay a lot of money and help your backward little state survive, so we can do whatever we want."

Sure has been an educational thread.

It doesn't appear you have learned anything. No one said trespassers were good and you should welcome them with open arms. But, not all out of state hunters are trespassers. In fact, I'll bet very few are. But, you continue to call them names, threaten them and say you don't want them in your state.

You act like a greedy little child who is afraid someone will play with your toy.

Quote:
It doesn't appear you have learned anything. No one said trespassers were good and you should welcome them with open arms. But, not all out of state hunters are trespassers. In fact, I'll bet very few are. But, you continue to call them names, threaten them and say you don't want them in your state.

You act like a greedy little child who is afraid someone will play with your toy.

Then tell me... why do we only have problems with tresspassers during pheasant season... and why do we only have problems with people that ARE NOT FROM HERE?

Very little, compared to most farmers.

What difference does the amount of land make? Whether I have 1 acre or 10,000 acres. Does it matter when someone is out there hunting without permission?

It doesn't make any difference in regards to tresspassing. It does make a difference when you say the game lives on your farm. If you only have one acre, the game lives on more property than just yours. The home range for a white-tail deer, for example can be 2000 acres or more and a rutting buck can travel a lot farther than that. If you have any less than a 1000, deer, coyotes and other such animals do not live solely on your property. They also spend part of their time on your neighbors property.

Game with smaller home ranges such as quail and pheasants may spend their whole live on your property assuming that they don't live along the edge and cross the property line.

The fact that you don't want to answer, just begs the question.

I'm one of those Iowan's. I love your state. Went to college there. When I was there I loved to pheasant hunt and dove hunt. I know the problem that you have with tresspassers. We have the same problem here but about a week or two later than you. I use to like to go out on the opener but it is just safer to stay in the bowstand and let all of the out of staters move the deer around. I grew up in western Iowa and we could say the same about the out of staters from your great state that would come down and hunt around my home town. Here in iowa you can't road hunt. But we had 2 different groups stop within 50yds of my parents house walk down the road ditch and shoot birds out of the road ditch. Then we caught 2 other groups that parked right in the field lane within 20 ft of the front door and walked the ground behind my parents house and started hunting when we got back from bowhunting we parked behind them in the gate and called the sherrif. We were waiting for the sherrif to show up when my mom watched and recorder them driving through the field to try and get away through another gate. The funny thing was the only other way out of the field was through the back yard and between then house and shed and out through the ditch. The sherrif ended up catching them down the road and they were prosecuted. The other really fun thing is guess where these people were from. Yep you guessed it SD. But we have had problems with people from right in our own state,county,town doing the same. I know what you are talking about and why you are so mad. I don't think it is the out of state hunters that is really bothering you. It is more about the out of states that don't show any respect for your land or other peoples property the way one should respect it. I feel it is a gift for some one to give me the right to hunt on their land. I treat it as if it was mine and always try to leave it better than it was before. I will not go on anyones land that I don't have the owners permission to be on. I don't care if it just on the other side of the fence. If you don't know who's ground it is or don't have the ok to be on it. Stay off. Some people just don't care. They are more consumed with the game that they are after the the property owners wishes. Don't hold it against all of the Iowan's for some bad apples. I feel for you and I'd get upset too. But life is to short. If you ever want to come to Iowa and do some calling. Bring your brother or brother's down. I would love to have someone else to hunt with.

WOW hunters fighting hunters. Someday we will all pay for this. 750,000 deer hunters in Michigan can't pass dove hunting because they can't get along or they don't hunt doves so they don't care this is sad.

Every hunter should be concerned about tresspassing. The act itself is shunned by ANY good hunter. Everybody knows you don't go on someone else's property without asking permission.

Frankly... I don't see what the argument is about.

Yellowhammer... Not sure what your motive is. You just want to argue. You can stuff that. We own more than enough ground. Most of our pheasants live their lives on our land. We have food, next to roosting to ensure this. The NEIGHBORS birds usually roost in our grass/crp. So I'm not sure what question is "begging" in your head. Doesnt have ANYTHING TO DO with tresspassing now does it? If the neighbors birds land in my field... and someone goes in there without my permission... THEY ARE TRESSPASSING and are in complete violation of the law. Whether they are hunting or not, makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE.

Fact: 99% of our tresspassers are OUT OF STATE pheasant hunters.

Argue that fact till you are blue in the face. Won't change the fact.

Catwhacker... tresspassers are NOT hunters; They are CRIMINALS. They do not deserve the right to hunt at all if they can't follow simple rules of right and wrong.

I live in North ,central Iowa. Years ago ,(40), we had lots of pheasants but now hardly any. Back then we had lots of out of staters....mostly from MN and they are the closest. Also had Wis,and some Ill. Seems for us ,and everone to this time, that the ones that travel the farthest seem to be the most desperate to fill their bags and break laws , tresspass ect. They caught some filling "fake" spare tires with dressed pheasants above and beyound their leagal limit.
We had some hunters ask to hunt our farm ,460 acres,and some try to just cross the fences. We were usually hunting and could just wave them off or send them back but if you weren't there , they just hunted through. They always were sad to find out they were hunting without permission and appologise...to us and every other land owner. These hunters will exist til the end of time.....we all need to find ways to deal with it.
The kiss of death was when the hunting forcasts in national magazines and state magazines listed your county as the best to find numbers of birds. You got slammed that fall. Now, pheasants are nearly rare here due to farming practices and who knows what else...
I would love to go North West of here and pred. hunt but would never go "cold" and just push my way in and find "anywhere" to do my hunting.
I do know this.......we need all of these hunters , good ones and the rich ones called "city morons" as they are helping to keep hunting alive because these rich ones have lots of clout and sway in places us "hicks" don't . Hunting in nature (what ever that means anymore) , on reserves , high fences , low fence outfitters, fishing farm ponds, lakes, stocked trout streams are all part of the hunting /fishing game and it is time to accept the "times" and realize and accept the good things they bring and deal with the rest . Like my dad always said , (he's 86 now) "When you get done being mad , you're gonna have to decide how you are going to fix that (fill in the blank ) . SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back