Go Home Pheasant Hunters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never hunted around Huron so i can't say how it is. I do hunt in other parts of the state, been doing it for 20 years. Most places i hunt the ranchers are more than happy to have me there and some go out of there way to insure i have an injoyable hunt and they always ask me to comeback again next year. Alot of problems that you speak of were brought on by you and the residents of the state, i can remember the early years i could hunt just about anywhere, all i had to do was knock on a few doors. Now most of the areas are posted by leased hunters from the big cities in S.D. or the land has been bought up by them.. Now you knock on a door the rancher asks whats it worth to you to hunt my land...And like someone said in one of the posts the state sends out flyers to have us come to youre state and hunt..Hmmm
I have to admitt i have seen some groups that can be very dangerous to hunt with and i don't hunt with them, instead i come out on later date to do my hunting, fewer hunters then..
I think some of the statements mentioned, like shooting out windows and chaseing cows was alittle out of poportion..
Randy did make a good point also if it was'nt for non-res hunters there there would'nt be many stores open in the smaller towns of S.D., most would have gone belly up years ago...
On another note alot of S.D. Res. kids move to Mn. after graduation and go to school here and get jobs and then continue to live in our state. Then once or twice a year they return home to the famaly farm and hunt pheasants or deer.
I do alot of calling in S.D. but i have enough sense not to come-out and do it till deer/pheasant season is over...

Orkan,

If you weren't so scarey, you'd be hilarious!

Do you EVER go back and read what you wrote?

I can see the headlines in the Huron paper: "Local farmer gunned down by out of state hunters after he tries to disarm them." You don't honestly believe that you can detain someone at gunpoint for trespassing, do you? How much land do you own out there? I'm just wondering how much you stand to lose in the lawsuit. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking someone in a shiny new SUV will go after you when you smash into them with your old chevy.

I can't believe the threats you constantly throw around. For someone who doesn't use their real name on the board and even goes so far as to hide his face in his avatar, you sure do talk tough.

Fortunately, not all people in SD see people from out of state as "idiots," "nutballs" and "morons." Most folks out there are very nice. And, yes, I've done a lot of hunting in SD so I do know. Pheasants, sharptails, prairie dogs, foxes and coyotes.

I could go through your posts and tear them apart for how silly they are but it's not worth my time.

By the way, any time you want to come over to Minnesota and catch some of our fish, please feel free to do so. I'm sure the resort owners, gas station people and such will appreciate the extra help.

Randy

So you dont "utilize" the game that is being managed by the F%G?You dont utilize the seasons that are kept open through their programs?You dont utilize the protection they provide to stop poaching and prevent game diseases?You should "utilize" your brain a bit and think about all the posative things that are done for the people of your state with the funds that those out of state hunters pour in,hunting is Montanas #1 industry and i will put up with the crowds any day when they proviide MILLIONS of dollars to my state and pay for the programs that keep our hunting great.There would be MANY people in your state unemployed if the pheasent hunters quit coming,think about it.

Last edited:
Orkan-

Did you get to do any pheasant hunting oct. 15-16? I know what you mean though, I hunted the wolsey (private) area opening weekend, and things were just crazy, driving from cavour through huron to wolsey EVERY walkin area had a waiting line at the gate starting at about 8:30 or so for the noon start.

If I were you I would whore it up for two years at $2000 a gun and buy land somewhere you don't have to deal with anyone.

Crowded hunting is a growing problem in all seasons everywhere including predator hunting. As the human population grows and shifts something has to give.
Ever since I was a kid the influx during hunting season has been inconvenient and now uncomfortable. On my grandparents ranch trespassing and poaching has always been a problem, but surprisingly the absolute worst offenders are locals.
I also find it interesting that many who complain about all the people in our back yard end up going out of state for draw hunts and fishing.
One of our best Hunt by Permission farms is now closed as the farmer is now in the CRP program. He claims to be making the most profit ever for doing nothing. Another neighbor went CRP and claims he gets an extra tax credit if he lets X amount of hunters in, so he asks me to fill out a card to increase the count.
The percentage of money actually paid by hunting license sales here only covers about 21% of the WDFW(game dept) budget. Hardly the majority voice that we would like to think we have.
Many years ago our game dept had budget woes and closed the bird farm on our side of the state. That was the end of pheasant hunting as we knew it. Now they add a surcharge to cover purchasing birds from local birdfarms during season. Needless to say they can't survive even if no one hunted.
In Fighting certainly does not help in the long run. Also as I see it, many seem to think it is an absolute right and will remain so if we simply continue to buy licenses.

Quote:
So you dont "utilize" the game that is being managed by the F%G?You dont utilize the seasons that are kept open through their programs?You dont utilize the protection they provide to stop poaching and prevent game diseases?You should "utilize" your brain a bit and think about all the posative things that are done for the people of your state with the funds that those out of state hunters pour in,hunting is Montanas #1 industry and i will put up with the crowds any day when they proviide MILLIONS of dollars to my state and pay for the programs that keep our hunting great.There would be MANY people in your state unemployed if the pheasent hunters quit coming,think about it.

+1 oh... i mean 1 million !!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Well Orkan, guess I won't ever plan to go to S.D. to hunt pheasants. Please don't come to Montana to hunt elk, one good turn deserves another.

If I did go out of state to hunt ANYTHING... I would sure as heck use a lot more restraint and respect for peoples property than those that come here.

Y'all make me laugh with your attitudes toward something you've never experienced. Buddy of mine has a helicopter... and took a few pictures from the sky the day before opener this year... and then took a few pictures at noon the day of opener. You would not believe the sight.

Those of us that live here... and routinely get trampled by these out of state idiots, know first hand what it is like. The rest of you, just don't have a clue.

Buker, you don't have a CLUE who I am... and since you obviously know everything... never took the time to ask why I feel the way I do about these topics.

To settle your BS claims right here... My REAL NAME is Greg Dykstra. Everybody around here knows me as well as my family. All will say the same thing... "those Dykstra boys are a little high strung, but good guys." We fight for what is RIGHT every day of our lives... and trust me the locals LOVE IT. ESPECIALLY the farmers.

As for your "hiding face in avatar" bs... I've only posted about 20 pics on this site. The reason I was wearing my face mask is due to the wind chill being -75 or so that day... and it literally BURNED to have open skin. SO here are some more pics so you can see me coming:

01-19-07.jpg

01-13-07.jpg

12-29-06.jpg

12-14-06.jpg

12-03-06.jpg

01.01.06.jpg

12.26.05.jpg

Quote:
Why don't you clue us in and show us the before and after pictures.

What do you want to be clued in about specifically? (so I don't rant)

I am working on getting the pictures. He doesn't have them digital, so I need to get them from him and scan them. Long story short... it looked like a sea of orange.

Orkan, I know how you feel somewhat. Seems like there are more and more hunters buying their way onto land. Yes, it is capitalism at its finest for the people who own the land and rake in the money. The day I have to pay to hunt is the day my guns get hung up. Dykstra? Have any relation in Marion? Seems like a lot of Dykstras throughout the southern part of SD.

None of my imidiate relation in marion... however I know there are a lot of us around! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not quite as many as the Tschetter's Hofer's though! haha

Most of my clan lives here, or up in sisseton area.

Orkan,
I'm from TN and somehat resent your remarks about out-of-state hunters...Rather, hunters in general. I've never hunted outside of my home state of TN but man, why fight other hunters that enjoy and help protect the same rights you enjoy?

I understand you are mad and resentful as I have felt the same way about all the transplants coming to TN. However, this in-fighting with others hunters is exactly what the antis are striving for.

If it truly pi$$es you off about the pheasant hunters, hang out on your own land until the season has run its course. Better yet, hit a neighboring state and hunt there. Whether we like it not, capitalism is King and money talks.

You could always hire your farm out to pheasant hunters and save money for more land.

P.S. My co-workers were up there this weekend pheasant hunting. I've been invited but respectfully decline due to wanting to M/L deer hunt here.

Quote:
Orkan,
I'm from TN and somehat resent your remarks about out-of-state hunters...Rather, hunters in general. I've never hunted outside of my home state of TN but man, why fight other hunters that enjoy and help protect the same rights you enjoy?

I understand you are mad and resentful as I have felt the same way about all the transplants coming to TN. However, this in-fighting with others hunters is exactly what the antis are striving for.

If it truly pi$$es you off about the pheasant hunters, hang out on your own land until the season has run its course. Better yet, hit a neighboring state and hunt there. Whether we like it not, capitalism is King and money talks.

You could always hire your farm out to pheasant hunters and save money for more land.

P.S. My co-workers were up there this weekend pheasant hunting. I've been invited but respectfully decline due to wanting to M/L deer hunt here.

You don't seem to understand. I dont mind hunters. I like hunters.

I HATE TRESSPASSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny how I havn't kicked any SOUTH DAKOTANS off my land. Matter of fact it has been about 5 years since I've had to kick a SD guy off our property.

Heck... you guys sure must be nice. If I'm ever in your neighborhood's... I'm going to come hunt your land. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe I'll even walk in your house and start eating your food. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Judging by y'alls posting... you won't mind.

You do have a point about Tresspassers. I hate them to. this year I was given permition by a one farmer to hunt the farm next door. He told me the other farmer would not mind. I did not hunt it because I could not talk to the real owner. We have had tresspassers on our land terring it up. My problem with your attitude is that you are always blaming out of staters. A tresspasser is a tresspasser weather he is from next door or from out of state. The reason that you have not kicked a SD res off you land is they either have their own, you let them in, or they know some one. How many times has an out of stater asked to hunt your land? Have you ever said yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back