GAS PRICES AND BUG OUT PLAN?

If you read my post I was refering to the part of the country where I live.I know there is a lot of open space out there and thats why I cant see why so many people move here.It looks like there are a lot of better places than here.I like it around here I guess but I have seen some parts of the country that is so wonderfull with so many fewer people I can't understand why if a person could go anywhere they would come here.Like a lot of other folks my job,kids,grandkids was here and now its to late for me to enjoy big country but if I could call back a few years.....

Last edited:
No open spaces in TX, NM, or AZ.
tt2.gif

I really like west Tx and NM and if I could do it all over again you might have a quite somewhat strange neighbor who tend to keep to himself a lot.But you would be welcome over for a cup,if you did'nt stay to long.

Originally Posted By: NM LeonIrish, any seeds etc that you currently have are already paid for.

Any seeds you would try to obtain after an energy price run-up would be more expensive due (at a minimum) to increased transportation costs. Besides the transportation costs for fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides, they are very energy intensive to produce and will be correspondingly more expensive.

As Stu mentioned water costs will be more expensive whether you are buying it from the municipality or paying for the electricity to pump it from your well.

You can of course (perhaps) carry buckets of water from the river, pull weeds by hand, pluck aphids/grasshoppers/ladybugs/etc off your plants by hand, but time is worth something as well, and all the time you would spend in your garden is time you can't be working and earning cash for other things.

I guess I'm a different case. I disagree with just about everything you say. We save seeds from one year's harvest to plant the next. No cost. Fertilizer comes from compost, which comes from our animals. No cost. Pesticides and herbicides - make our own pesticides cheap - $2 a year - herbicides, $15 a year.. Good gardening practices. Water from rain and rain barrels. Spending time in the garden is something done after the work day is over. Could sit in a chair and watch tv. Don't. Therapy, exercise, family time. The returns in product and family togetherness is worth WAY MORE more than the cost, which is next to nothing.

Last edited:
You are not a different case Jeffo. Your plan makes very good sense to me. Should "everything collapse" I will be hunkering down in place with the resources and security I have and I will be doing that for as long as I am possibly able to. I believe that not many people will be going to work after everything collapses so there should be plenty of time to work a garden. For those on this board who live in the arid southwest I can understand the concern about obtaining water for a garden. Where I live we have plenty of water. Lots and lots of water and I suspect Wisconsin has lots also.
I think for the average person,or family,trying to survive while "bugging out",life will be very dangerous. I never liked the bumper to bumper traffic coming out of the cities and don't plan to be sharing the roads with all those folks trying to get out of the cities in a state of panic.

our water costs here are a bit unreasonable. In TN we gardened & it didn't cost us too much.

Here, we pay twice for any water we use. They charge us $X per unit, then double that for the sewer fee. The assumption is that if you use any water it goes out the sewer.

This applies to water used on the lawn, land scaping, flowers, garden, etc.

The only way to avoid the extra charge is to have a separate line & meter installed. That costs enough that most people here just don't bother.

Stu,

I remember paying for water in Colorado Springs Co. Many a few years ago! If I had to pay for the stuff now and sewer,.I would go balistic! I feel for ya Stu,.

A lot of it is withen 50 feet of my front door I DONT NEED NO STINKIN MAP !!!!!! (A lil' mexican accent there ) hahahahhahaha .........

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishas for bugging out, I guess a bunch of us could just swap places?

I still have 3 1/2 feet of snow in my yard. Where do you live Stu?
grin.gif

Bama_Mike,

I beleive one time he said he was over in the Eufaula area that be about an hour from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Stu Farishgas here (as of yesterday) is ranging from a low of $3.33 to a high of $3.49 for regular.

$3.55 here and rising!

$3.57 here and still going up.... grocery prices are going up to did ya all notice this... Good thing i shop with a .308 or this would EXCITE me a bit.... HOW HIGH DOES IT HAVE TO GO before those IDIOT bank robbers try something at the gas station.... ( Those are going up to did ya all notice that ) I noticed it on tv a rise in robberies....

Back