cheap upper

Good call on the pin Brasshound. The front pin is a little tricky to get out. I pulled too hard and it came out and my detent went into orbit. I filed that little circular injection mark down to match the rest of the detent track on the pin and put it back together. No problems now.

Thanks for the info guys, my uppers should be here today so I am like a kid waiting for Christmas! Still missing a sight, thought a buddy had a red dot to use but he can't find it so need to make a sweep through town to see whats out there.

Very tempting !!!! What is the differance between a "Standard A3" and a "A4 (M4 Feed Ramps")" upper??? Will probably order two of these tomorrow, one for myself and one for my son to go on our Sharps mil spec lowers we ordered for $55 stripped. Will just have to pick up a couple stocks and LPKs. That will still leave me with one stripped lower to make another toy out of.

Uppers came in yesterday and I even mounted one up to a lower all by myself, well with alot of help from you guys!

What brand is the upper? I know the barrel is a bulldog but what is the brand of upper, bolt, and CH?

Another can of worms: do you break in the barrel or just go shooting? Any special lubing on the first trips out?

I ordered one for my Dad and it came in yesterday,

Over all it looks good but here are some things I noticed.

No m4 feed ramps

gas block is one of those goofy looking quad rails

receiver finish doesn't seem to hold up well I scratched some off trying to cut the zip tie they had holding the bolt carrier in.

No matter what lower I put it on the action doesn't cycle smoothly right out of the box the bolt would hang up, striped it down and gave it a good cleaning then put lots of lube on it and the receiver. It doesn't hang up now but still isn't smooth, may just need some ammo run through it to break it in.

Over all though it looks pretty decent and if it shoots 1moa @ 100 with hand loads I think I could over look the flaws for 335
laugh.gif

EDIT:

Just looked at their site again and it looks like you can configure it with m4 feed ramps, you have to select it though.

Last edited:
These are a mixed bag of parts. The barrel coating is dura coat. These are an inexpensive set up, but seem to function well.
There will always be that one that did not make the cut, but not bad for the price.

Time will tell...

Anyone got to shoot for groups or at least function test?...I have 2 on the way,,,hopefully they work out good,,,if not ,,off to the mad scientist.........X

agj223 they just added them options cause there was none when i ordered mine but i did end up with a dpms bolt & carrier and m4 feed ramps
it is a nice looking rifle for the money
i see that there is only 2 left i wounder if there will be 50 more avalible

Just got back from the range for a function test and both rifles, the Plumb Crazy and my Armalite, are down in the gun room with barrels soaking in foaming bore cleaner...

PlumCrazyadArmalite1.jpg

I set up on the 25 yard range, since my primary purpose was to run a bunch of rounds through the Plumb Crazy and check for function and limited accuracy and didn't want to interfere with the shooters on the more serious longer ranges.

Comment 1: The trigger on my lower really sucks and has to be somewhere in the 10-12# range.. I didn't think it was ever going to fire for the first few rounds, but it did start to smooth out and the required pressure dropped down to approximately 6-9# after about the first 25-30 rounds...

Comment 2: I had taken the bolt carrier group out of the rifle and cleaned it from the excessive oil with which it was shipped and re-lubed it... I was a little concerned due to the stiffness it exhibited on the bench, but it functioned fine at the range....I swabbed out the barrel before leaving and only pulled minimal powder residue from the barrel and chamber..The seller advertised that the upper had been test fired and I expected to find the residue..

Due to the stiff trigger, I had no expectations of getting any kind of groups out of the rifle, but was pleasantly surprised as the morning went on...

The first target was a little ragged, mostly due to the trigger... I was shooting 5 rounds, cleaning lightly, then another 5 rounds, clean and let cool for 10-15 minutes and starting over again until I had the first 50 rounds through it....

You can see that my lack of group interest was showing in this one...

PCWorkoutB002.jpg

After the first 50 rounds and the trigger was getting somewhat better, I decided to see how consistent it could keep them together, and ripped off 20 rounds at a reasonably fast clip...That's the center group/hole...

PCWorkoutA001.jpg

One interesting side observation that I don't really have an explanation, I took the scope off of my Armalite (3-12x Sightron in a LaRue mount) and attached it to the Cheap Upper....The point of impact was basically centered from a windage standpoint, but the point of impact had raised approximately two inches at 25 yards....Both rifles are Flat Top receivers with about the same barrel configurations, but different quality barrels...

Ammunition used was Federal/Lake City FMJ in both weapons...
A better trigger is definitely in the future, but I'll keep the rifle....

Originally Posted By: coyotexi saw they have the ones without bolt or charge,for 235.......X

Don't tell me that!

I have an extra bolt/carrier laying around..

Good review turtle,,,i have found that the more i shoot the plum crazy,,,the smoother the trigger gets.

I just fired round 250 tonight with it,,,very smoothe,,no ftf at all ,so im happy.

I take it everything fed well..............X

Quote:I take it everything fed well.......X
No problems in that area, or any other function..I've still got several hundred rounds of cheap FMJs, so maybe the trigger will proceed to get better...I'm just used to 2-3#...Guess you would call it spoiled..
frown.gif

Shot my "Cheap Upper" today. I don't have a lot of experience with AR's, But the fact that it ran though 20 rounds of some sort of surplus and another 20 rounds of Remington's with out a hick-up, puts a smile on my face. No failures to feed, eject, or anything. I have a Bushnell red/green dot sight on top and with out trying kept everything in side of an inch at 25 yards, not precision, but the barrel is not broken in yet and i will have to mount a proper scope and see what it likes.

I am a happy camper.

I got one in the mail this AM. seems like it will do just fine for the paltry sum invested. Looked it over quite a bit and cannot find any cosmetic issues with it at all. Ill wait for the customer to pick it up and we'll go from there.

Back