cheap upper

I received my "Cheap Upper" today and it fits the Plum Crazy lower as if it were machined for it....No binding and no 'slop'...So far, for about $549, I'm pleasantly surprised...

I weighed it for comparison with my 16" DPMS bull barrel that I've had and shot for several years and both were weighed with the EO-Tech installed and a full 9 rd magazine... The DPMS weighed in at 8# and the "cheap rifle" weighed in at 7#...My other ARs are free floated and I know are a little heavier than the DPMS..

It will be a couple of days before I can get it to the range for a function test and accuracy evaluation..Info and photos will follow..

Thanks for the updates you all, can't wait to hear back from you OldTurtle. My "Cheap Upper" should be here tomorrow and I need to pick up my Plum Crazy lower from my FFL....

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI received my "Cheap Upper" today and it fits the Plum Crazy lower as if it were machined for it....No binding and no 'slop'...So far, for about $549, I'm pleasantly surprised...

Agreed. I'm really impressed with this rig. Can't wait to get an optic on it and run some down the tube. The only thing I didn't like was that the pivot pin on the lower fell out while I was test fitting the upper.

If the pin fell out something is wrong.

It should be held in with a spring under a detent pin which rides in a groove in the pin. I'd say the detent/spring or both is missing.

Ordered one of these uppers today and had a great experience. I wanted to swap out the handguards to a free float tube. Offered to pay extra for them to swap it out in addition to buying the free float tube.

I sure was shocked when they DISCOUNTED the cost of the handguards from the free float tube and did the install free of charge.

Good stuff!

Quote:I'd say the detent/spring or both is missing.

Either that, or they didn't have the pin rotated until the detent was aligned with the groove. Good chance it's still in there (or laying on the floor where the pin came out).

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesIf the pin fell out something is wrong.

It should be held in with a spring under a detent pin which rides in a groove in the pin. I'd say the detent/spring or both is missing.

Ross called me this morning after reading my post. He said the same thing, so I checked, yup, detent pin and spring are gone. I was putting them together in front of my garage while watching the kids play. I have to assume they were there because the pivot pin was tough to knock out and I likely rotated it while pulling on it, which caused it to shoot out into the great bye and bye. LOL. Ross is sending me a new pin and spring.

KUDOS TO ROSS!!!!!!!

Hey guys..
There is a feature built into the pins for ease of take down. (Not a fan of this but) If you twist, at just the right location, you can walk the pin out for removal.
This is something you all need be aware of..

P1000309.jpg

Assembled upper on PC lower #2, Mounted Burris Black Diamond in 4-16X50. Test firing successful. Need to find the time to sight it in. FUN FUN FUN!!!!! Pics to follow.

Last edited:
Mine came in on Friday, girlfriend bought it for me. Put a Bushnell red dot on it, looks good. This is my second AR, first is an R15, this is going to get expensive already planing # 3.

Tried to go to the range today, but it was closed, logging operation going on in the impact area. Hopefully this weekend.

Originally Posted By: bigndnAssembled upper on PC lower #2, Mounted Burris Black Diamond in 4-16X50. Test firing successful. Need to find the time to sight it in. FUN FUN FUN!!!!! Pics to follow.

As promised:

100_4834.jpg

100_4833.jpg

Where are the groups you shot?
smile.gif

I think I need to get my Plum Crazy lower on order so I can put this one together. Good thing it already has a threaded barrel, I have my 7.62mm suppressor on order, all I need is one extra quick mount in 1/2x28.

Originally Posted By: Brasshound Hey Chad.. That scope is almost as big as the whole AR...
wink.gif

Did your spring and detent show today?

laugh.gif
Yeah, that's what I thought. I have a 4X Redfield I was going to mount, but didn't have rings for it.

No package today. Probably tomorrow if Pony Express is up and running and no outlaws on the uphill grades.
tongue_smilie.gif

Mated up the "Cheap Upper" and the "Plum Crazy Lower" and you would swear that they were made for each other...Tight fit, I am tickled. Just waiting to see if any member on here has a burris PEPR they might be interested in parting with and then I will get it set up and shoot and report my findings...Brasshound-THANKS AGAIN for the great lower and transaction. You are da man!

Originally Posted By: Brasshound Hey guys..
There is a feature built into the pins for ease of take down. (Not a fan of this but) If you twist, at just the right location, you can walk the pin out for removal.
This is something you all need be aware of..

P1000309.jpg

So if you just push the pins out straight to the stop you are ok and if you want to remove the pin completely you rotate it someplace to remove completely from the lower?

What is the lever on the left side above the mag well for?

To mate the cheap upper with the Crazy lower you need to have the hammer cocked and then do the 2 pins? Anything else need to be done like safety on or off?

Sorry for the dumb questions, my first AR, in fact never even shot one before or held one.

Quote:What is the lever on the left side above the mag well for?

Bolt lock. The magazine follower pushes on the inside of it (when the mags empty) and it catches the bolt on the back stroke and keeps it open. Or you can activate it by hand.

Quote:...have the hammer cocked and then do the 2 pins?

That's all.

Quote:Anything else need to be done like safety on or off?

Either way, won't matter.

Back