benchmark-h335 and why?

Guess he either went to one of those better web sites or he's mad and not gonna post or he's still out there trying to shoot another one hole group. Or, all of the above!!

http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/martpjin2011/media/IMG_0618_zpsmf905qnr.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

You guys are just sad. It's pretty sad that grown men have to hop on a thread and bump their gums. what's shocking to me is the admins allow members to be harassed when the member hasn't even posted in days. I also find it funny how certain people contribute and some well are just a POS and sit behind a keyboard just to argue or degrade people. You [beeep] are just sad!!

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014No one ran me off I just don't feel the need to respond to someone bumping their gums. Oh and btw I did it again last night 5 shots same hole. I would post the pic but I don't want panter or whinny to get their panties in a bunch. Like I said jealousy. Someone else has a good accomplishment and others have to shoot them down. O my i see five. wait for it here it comes.

Not a bad group, but it can certainly use some improvement. Vertical stringing and 1/2 MOA...not a one hole group, not 5 shots in in one hole...but that is a good start.

We've all tried to help you in the past, only to have you recant the advice. You like to continually squabble with folks who have the first hand knowledge you seek, but refuse to consider. Then you resort to name calling and other adolescence when you don't have everyone in 100% agreement with you. You have made your bed all yourself. The 'woe is me' clause osnt going to work here.

So we have two groups with the same load. (23.3 BM) One is about an inch and the other is a bit over 0.5. Good good job on the one. I suspect the other is pretty indicative of what to expect day in day out with only minor improvement. As I noted one group does not a world beater make.

This is what I look at when I am working up a load. Early work with one of my 204's feeling my way around the cartridge. Note that the worst load statistically shot the best and how the two groups at the two charge weight can vary in size. Either of those loads are capable of killing PD's at 350-400 yards given non-horendous conditions. Woodchucks? Ha, I LAUGH at woodchucks.

CZII32AA2015.jpg

Greg

BTW This is a one hole group. 5 Shots 100 yards 243 LBC from BHW

TURKEYGROUP_zpsasnmfk6z.jpg

This is how you put a rifle evaluation together. This was a BAT actioned BHW 308 that was sent to me to evaluate with factory ammunition. I had to throw a random handload in at the bottom but I had my benchmark to shoot against. In this one handlaods would maybe help but I could live with the cheap junk that shot that well. This was a test of the rifle and the shooter.

Basically what I'm saying is one and done won't cut it in this crowd and I'm not a pimple on an elephants butt compared to some of these guys.

Greg

Last edited:
Going along with Greg's post, when working with a new barrel I'm always more interested in what the worst groups are telling me than the best ones.

I like consistency and won't abide a tease. I've got rid of rifles that I couldn't get to average better than 6's or 7's despite frequent teases in the 1's and 2's.

Would rather have consistent 4's.

- DAA

it is the heavy barrel axis I sent back to savage. the gun always shot this good the only issue I had with it was short throat, bolt locking up and not being able to open it.

they said the bolt face I guess it is was replaced along with all the guts and the chamber was polished and something else because now I can seat reloads a little longer and no issues.

I haven't had time to check reloads in the pencil barrel but was able to open up a woodchuck with it and American eagle varmint at almost 200yards with it.

and sorry this doesn't count for one hole groups. still IMO and I have also shown guys who compete at camp Perry and they say a savage axis did this for it being the bottom of the barrel its pretty dang good. I wasn't trying to start a pissing contest with anyone. I asked what you thought about the powder, some answered and one I said holly crap look what it did which is an accomplishment on my part still being under 500rds reloaded I showed off what I thought was a good accomplishment. I just hate the lets talk crap to people because we get a rise from people on the internet. this night I shot this recent group all [beeep] broke loose with rain and wind so I shot real fast and then home. I will see if I can tighten them this weekend.

yes I debated the sending it back because everyone in person I talked to said it will take months so I tried to fix it without dealing with that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogGuess he either went to one of those better web sites or he's mad and not gonna post or he's still out there trying to shoot another one hole group. Or, all of the above!!

Now that he's shooting one hole five shot groups, my guess is that he's spending a lot of time at accurateshooter.com or Bench Rest Central getting those people lined out. He's probably going to have to spend considerable time at each site getting them to "see the light".

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014
and sorry this doesn't count for one hole groups. still IMO and I have also shown guys who compete at camp Perry and they say a savage axis did this for it being the bottom of the barrel its pretty dang good. I wasn't trying to start a pissing contest with anyone. I asked what you thought about the powder, some answered and one I said holly crap look what it did which is an accomplishment on my part still being under 500rds reloaded I showed off what I thought was a good accomplishment. I just hate the lets talk crap to people because we get a rise from people on the internet. this night I shot this recent group all [beeep] broke loose with rain and wind so I shot real fast and then home. I will see if I can tighten them this weekend.

yes I debated the sending it back because everyone in person I talked to said it will take months so I tried to fix it without dealing with that.

You are way too emotional. Especially to people across the Internet. Like I said before...that load seems to be a decent start. Play with it and continue to prove it and you'll be getting the 1/4 MOA groups. You set yourself up for most of the flak you receive. I think you'd better thicken your skin a bit of the world is going to become an increasingly difficult to succeed in society. We've all done it...

okay guys I have one honest request. my shop has all powder like 15% off and I want to buy 8lbs of it but shooting benchmark and h335 last night together I got this with h335 which is about $30 cheaper than benchmark. what I don't get is I shot 3 touching in a circle with benchmark and then h335 cci450 same brass, same gun and they touch but string in a line.

any clue why they go in a perfect line?

IMG_0619_zpsxsgc9mgb.jpg

IMG_0620_zpsabzkyttg.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I know what is going on but it doesn't matter. Pick one and quit vacillating. I could make either of them work. Shooting technique and depth in seating all come into play.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterYes I know what is going on but it doesn't matter. Pick one and quit vacillating. I could make either of them work. Shooting technique and depth in seating all come into play.

Greg

so why not share?!?!?!?

I cant seat any higher cause im into the lans. seating deeper? you guys might think im just screwing with you but im a new rifle guy, reloader looking for help.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti had to look up vacillating. it is a fitting word in this case.

Me too, I learned something from this thread...

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: GLShooterYes I know what is going on but it doesn't matter. Pick one and quit vacillating. I could make either of them work. Shooting technique and depth in seating all come into play.

Greg

so why not share?!?!?!?

I cant seat any higher cause im into the lans. seating deeper? you guys might think im just screwing with you but im a new rifle guy, reloader looking for help.

I just did share the answer. Technique and seating depth are the secrets on this one.

Seating into the lands doesn't guarantee squat for accurate. It's just a place that most guys stop. There is 0.100 more seating available OUT of the lands that is usable and at times I will go 0.10 IN to the lands.

Technique is about forty + years at a bench both loading and shooting.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: GLShooterYes I know what is going on but it doesn't matter. Pick one and quit vacillating. I could make either of them work. Shooting technique and depth in seating all come into play.

Greg

so why not share?!?!?!?

I just did share the answer. Technique and seating depth are the secrets on this one.

Seating into the lands doesn't guarantee squat for accurate. It's just a place that most guys stop. There is 0.100 more seating available OUT of the lands that is usable and at times I will go 0.10 IN to the lands.

Technique is about forty + years at a bench both loading and shooting.

Greg

didn't know that about lans. being new i was told to stop there. [beeep] i cant even close the bolt all the way without seating deeper or having to gorilla it shut. some say those h335 groups are good enough. ill keep trying.

Horizontal stringing= i call it milking the stock, squezzing your hand instead of just your finger

Verticle= firmer rear bag = differnt style rear bag = no rear bag = get one

If your sure that those are perfect try bedding the stock

Look at GLShooters targets, the holes are wonderfully random, that is what a rifle, load and shooter doing things right will look like. That true one hole group is a very elusive creature and will lead to some moments of joy and others that make you want to throw rifles in the garbage and quit. It is also why many people consider themselves reloaders and others handloaders. If most of us found two powders that shot like that at 15% off we would buy them both and be really happy or buy several jugs of either. HAPPY HUNTING

Last edited:
My advice is to pick one load or the other. Doesnt matter which one or why. Just pick one, load and shoot with that one load for a year or more and then come back to the idea of chasing a 1/4moa@100yrds load.

Back