Baiting

6mm06 cooks up real easy -- cut up into strips --make sure you use real butter not the fake stuff.
yotes are driving me crazy -- bait is gone and still no pictures -- positive it is yotes I did see one out there last Saturday morning but could not get a shot before he was back in the woods. I would love to sit out at night but the cloud cover has made it so dark you can't see anything and I don't have a special set up like some do. Starting to think I might have to do it, but I want to build the trailer first.

Scalloper, how big is your portable camp you used last winter?

Well, your trailer will work everywhere you can haul it, even at home. Set it up right from the beginning with shooting in mind. Get your window just right so you can have a shooting bench maybe, and use foam over the window to keep the cold air out and also to keep any light from being seen on the outside. That way you can have a heater and keep warm, have lights on etc. and still not be seen by coyotes.

A home-made night vision outfit works very well and is cheap. Something you might want to consider for some good bait hunting.

Last night the bobcat returned, but he had something else on his mind. In the video clip you can see him stalking something, then he pounced on it. Not sure what it was. After a bit he returned to the site and investigated one of the trail cameras, then went back to the bait pile.

Click on the photo to view the video.

i have a question. Has anyone ever tried using dog food as bait. The reason i ask is because i work with said that a friend of his uses a deer feeder filled with dog food and he uses it as permanent feeder for coyote. Thanks

Manofsteel,

DoubleUp has used dog food, and as I recall, some others on this forum have as well. You might send him an e-mail and inquire.

I had a bit of good news yesterday. Yesterday, after one month of no coyote visits, one finally hit the bait. It came shortly after 10:00 AM. The ravens didn't like it at all.

Here's some video clips. Click all photos to see the videos.

In this video, the coyote took the whole rib cage section of a deer carcass and carried it off.
Amazing that it could hold it's head up. Must have strong neck muscles.

Here's some videos with the new Moultrie M880 camera set to High Definition.

The coyote didn't return last night, but I'm hopeful it will. Maybe I will have some action soon.

I spent a little time in the back yard watching over the back yard bait pile on Saturday evening. Two possums, and a fox came in for the show, and I missed them all... at 39 yards. The first possum was facing me directly, so I put the red dot between his beady glowing little eyes and pulled the trigger. I've never seen a possum move so fast, and his tail was spinning like a propeller. Kinda comical, actually. A few minutes later, the fox came in. I was so excited to see the fox that I flinched and pulled the shot, I think. He left in hurry, too. The second possum just kinda walked away after the shot, and I was too aggravated to take a follow-up shot. I went out on Sunday afternoon to confirm my zero and found that it was 2 inches high and 2 inches left of center at 25 yards, and 3 inches at 50 yards. That helps explain part of the misses on the possums, but still doesn't do much for my missing the fox. I must have clipped the first possums ear or parted his hair. The TASCO red dot is not holding zero, so away it goes. 06, what scope are you using with your NV setup? I remember seeing something about a Bushnell, but don't recall seeing a model number or anything. Since I'm replacing the red dot anyway, I may as well get something that will work with the NV setup.

I spent a little time in the woods with the chain saw and the trimmer on Saturday afternoon, too. I think I have all of the large stuff cut with the chainsaw, but there are still lots of vines holding things up. I am starting to see a trail forming. The trail will end up being between four downed trees, and will end at a fifth. Once I get some of the vines out of the way I will be able to get an accurate distance.

Cozwurth,

Yea, 2" off both ways can easily equal a miss, even on the fox. If the scope won't hold zero, then you are right to get rid of it.

The scope I purchased just for the home-made NV outfit is a Bushnell Banner 4x16, Dusk to Dawn, illuminated reticle with an adjustable objective. I think if you put this home-made night vision job together, it will be important to have the ability to adjust the parallax of your scope for the distance you will be shooting. I think that was the problem with my point-of-impact drifting previously. After I got the Bushnell and adjusted it for parallax at the 60 yard bait site, and then sighted in the NV to that distance, it was dead on target.

Sighting in at your bait site to hit dead center is the important thing so you won't have to worry about trajectory. Wherever you expect a coyote to appear, that's where to sight.

This evening I have attached the new DVR recorder to the NV outfit, and will now be able to record video of what the scope sees. I set the outfit up on the bannister of my front deck, and looked at a gallon milk jug that was approximately (guessing) 60-70 yards away. I videoed "through-the scope" from 4X all the way up to 10X on the Bushnell. Looks like somewhere around 6X will be ideal. I took my last coyote with it set to either 7 or 8 power as I recall, but lost some field of view at that distance (60 yards). I'll post a video once it uploads. It's slow loading for sure.

UPDATE: I just now got the video uploaded. It took a while due to my slow computer speed.

Anyway, keep in mind that the recorder doesn't show how well the LCD actually sees. This one looks a bit grainy, but the LCD doesn't see the grain. It's pretty clear.

I have noticed that the camera needs to be focused when changing various scope magnifications. I have found it better to zoom to a desired magnification, focus the camera lens to that, and quit. When zooming in and out, it becomes blurred. I'm thinking somewhere around 6X is going to be about right for shooting at the 60 yard site, though I could get by with much less. I just like to be able to see the crosshair well enough on a critter to make a shot. I could actually use a 4X or a 5X, and that would give a better field of view.

Here's the clip. Click on the photo to see the video. Hopefully I'll get better video later once I play around with the NV camera some, adjusting for sharpness etc.

This video may not look very impressive, but what the LCD sees is much better.

Jeff, it seems to be a pretty good scope for the money, and it works well with the night vision outfit.

I'm a bit disappointed in the DVR, however. The video is a bit too grainy and doesn't show the scene as good as it really is.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Cozwurth,

Yea, 2" off both ways can easily equal a miss, even on the fox. If the scope won't hold zero, then you are right to get rid of it.

The scope I purchased just for the home-made NV outfit is a Bushnell Banner 4x16, Dusk to Dawn, illuminated reticle with an adjustable objective. I think if you put this home-made night vision job together, it will be important to have the ability to adjust the parallax of your scope for the distance you will be shooting. I think that was the problem with my point-of-impact drifting previously. After I got the Bushnell and adjusted it for parallax at the 60 yard bait site, and then sighted in the NV to that distance, it was dead on target.

Sighting in at your bait site to hit dead center is the important thing so you won't have to worry about trajectory. Wherever you expect a coyote to appear, that's where to sight.

-snip-

Thanks, 06. The Bushnell Banner was one of the scope series that I was looking into. I was looking at the 3-9 x 50 for more light transmission, but it does not have an adjustable objective. I will definitely be ordering one soon, but I need to make up my mind on the different reticles. My carbine round will drop off quicker than your rifle, so the CF500 reticle may be of more use to me than the Multi-X.

Wallbass, good to hear another vote for the Bushnell Banner.

Cozwurth,

I just now went to the farm and checked the zero of my rifle for a planned hunt tonight. The home-made night vision deal has not been attached to the rifle for a while. I reattached it at the cabin and fired one shot to my bait site. I also did a DVR recording of the shot that I will post later. The bullet impact hit almost center of the bullseye, which was pleasing to know the NV apparatus returned to zero when I attached it. I think the adjustable objective of the Bushnell is really the way to go. I have it set parallax free for shooting at my bait site, and even if the NV doesn't always align at just the exact same place each time, the zero is still maintained.

have a question. We have stocked up our bait pile with some fresh deer scraps. We are going to sit and watch it thursday night. Would it be a good idea to have the Foxpro calling while sitting and watching the bait pile. The bait pile is about a hundred yards away and we will be sitting on a deck that has pretty high rails and pickets and we are going to sit behind them and hope it breaks up our outline.
Not sure if having the call going at the same time is a good idea.

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Cozwurth: You may want to look at this before you order it a Great Deal and less than the 3x9x50. This has Ao and don't pay attention to the Pic of the Retical, It has Fine Xhairs
and this is the one David has
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/385100/...t-reticle-matte

Wallbass, thanks for the link. That's not a bad price for that scope, but I'm still undecided on what reticle I want. This is the other one that I've been looking at:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/922354/...0-reticle-matte

I'm thinking that the CF500 reticle will give me the option of hold-over aiming with less estimating once I get some rounds downrange to confirm POI. What I'm unsure of is if it's worth the extra 14 bucks or not...

Dave

Last edited:

Here's a video of yesterday's sight-in session with the home-made night vision. I used the new DVR to record what the scope sees.

Click on the photo to see the video clip.

Originally Posted By: cozwurth

Wallbass, thanks for the link. That's not a bad price for that scope, but I'm still undecided on what reticle I want. This is the other one that I've been looking at:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/922354/...0-reticle-matte

I'm thinking that the CF500 reticle will give me the option of hold-over aiming with less estimating once I get some rounds downrange to confirm POI. What I'm unsure of is if it's worth the extra 14 bucks or not...

Dave

I don't know what caliber your shooting but if most of your shots are less than 100yrds I think the CF500 retical is over kill. JMO! Save your money and buy Ammo also just got an Email from Cabelas a new Free Shipping code is "453Classic"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wallbass45
I don't know what caliber your shooting but if most of your shots are less than 100yrds I think the CF500 retical is over kill. JMO! Save your money and buy Ammo also just got an Email from Cabelas a new Free Shipping code is "453Classic"

I'm shooting a 9mm carbine. Any hunting (varmint/predator only) shots will be held to about 60 yards or less, but I will also be plinking at longer ranges just to see what the gun is capable of. Hunting rounds right now are COR BON 115gr +P hollow points, but I'm looking for some of the 90gr +P or +P+ rounds. Plinking will be with regular 115gr FMJ ammo.

EDIT: I just ordered the scope with the CF500 reticle from Optics Planet. $98 shipped after their 11% off promo. 5-10 business days stated on the free shipping, which should put it at my door between the 15th and the 22nd. I'll still have to pick up some scope rings to mount it, but I can get them locally.

Last edited:

Manofsteel, I'm not sure how calling might work in conjunction with the bait site. For me personally, I just like to keep things quite and wait. But, perhaps it might work. I don't think it would hurt to give it a try.

Cozwurth, good luck with the new scope. Mine is working well.

Just recently I was able to do some testing with the home-made night vision outfit, and played around with various IR light sources. I watched a possum at 60 yards and recorded some video via the DVR.

Keep in mind the LCD sees much brighter and cleaner than what this video indicates. Shooting with this home-made deal is a piece of cake, and the good part is - It's Cheap!

Click on the photo to view the video.

Back