Baiting

06, you think Joe Bob might give me a discount on my next order for the free advertising?
smile.gif

It would have made a funny video for sure.

Good shot, DoubleUp! I'll bet that would have been a funny video.

Not much has changed on my bait setup. No more progress on the lane as I've been trying to get some work done on the camper I'm restoring. I did stop at a local butcher shop yesterday to see about scraps. They told me that when they have any, it's first come, first served. Several local hunters like to feed their hunting dogs with scraps, so they give away whatever they cannot use if someone asks for it. Good news there.

Yea, Job Bob ought to give some kind of credit or incentive for free advertising. But, since you didn't smile, he probably won't.

Stay after the meat scraps Cozwurth. May be worth the effort.

My bait site is slow now, very, very slow, with the exceptions of a possum who has become a regular, and a gray fox that shows up now and then.

Right now I'm more in bowhunting deer mode than coyote. Everything in it's proper time.

Coz, my bait pile hasn't been doing much either. I did have one show up about a week ago on the bait and stayed about 40 minutes on and off according to the videos. He ate pretty good that night, and came again two more nights in a row but was very spooky and didn't eat anything. Now I haven't seen him in almost a week. I'm pretty sure the one I called the other night was a different coyote because the one in the videos didn't appear to be a white tip. There were coyotes answering all around me the other night when I killed that one, but they sure aren't doing much on my bait pile right now. Maybe colder weather will help. A good bait supply is important and maybe you can establish that with the butcher.

Last edited:

Blusam, that's great. I imagine that one is as good as down. Be sure to post up some good photos.

He looks pretty well furred up too. Good looking coyote.

nice looking coyote that is for sure, May be a hard nut to crack though. Never seen him before. Cousin shot at a black one last week. Maybe we can hook you up this winter 6mm06

A black one would be peachy keen.

Things have been slow at the bait site recently (coyote wise, that is), but I've had some activity.

Here's what showed up last night.

http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/7mmSTW/media/MFDC0036_zpsddf0ecf2.mp4.html

While things have been slow with coyotes, I have still been busy.

Here is yesterday's buck (small 9-point). Had to track the blood trail via flashlight, down a steep
copperhead infested hillside. It was worth it. Got some good scraps left over to use for coyotes too.
That cat liked the gut pile.

06, I remember seeing some posts of your attack possum a while back. I'll see your attack possum...

I've got other pics of it chasing off a fox, but they do not show as clearly as this one...

I'll raise you one dancing possum, and one curious coon...

A coyote also made an appearance the other night, too.

The white pipe on the ground is a Raccoon bait station. One of my neighbors wants to put out a few coon traps, and wanted me to see what was out and about.

Well, that certainly is a dangerous possum, that's for sure. I would hate to meet up with that dude in a dark alley.

Well, I'll see you one clumsy bear. (Even the bear thought it was funny). Click the photo to see the video.

And, I'll raise you one curious possum, one curious coyote, and one bunny rabbit.

Watch the video all the way through. Click on the photo.

Good to see you have another coyote hanging around. Keep him coming with some good-tasting morsels.

Nice job on the buck David, things have been real slow at the bear bait site no hits in over a week, first predator hunt starts next week end.

06, you called my bluff... I'm all out. That bear is kinda funny, and I have nothing on the bunny rabbit.

I went back through my pictures, and I've caught a Coyote on camera three times... 9/3, 9/14, and 10/11.

Nice buck 6mm06 -- should be some good eating and great bait scraps.
The old hay trailer idea I told you about last spring is starting perculate along. Got an old trailer that needs a new deck but instead of decking it I want to turn it into a portable hunting camp was thinking 8 X 16 with some bunks and a little heat and towable so I can move it around a little -- not to far but enough to change things up once in a while.
Went to the slaughterhouse/butcher and picked up a good sized cow water tub full of beef/venison/pork trimmings and carcass scraps a regular buffet of meat. I have been putting some bait out everyday and everyday the bait is gone from the day before. I have not had a camera on this spot. The spot I did put the camera on about 30 yards away-- they will not touch. We will see what happens tonight-- moved the camera to the action spot. Time to put the hurt on them --- been a loooong dry spell and last year was not very good so things are looking good for the start of this season.

DannyK, things have been slow here too after that last coyote last month. I haven't seen another one since, but that bobcat has come two nights straight, but didn't last night. He'll be back I think. Good luck when season opens.

Cozwurth, it's difficult to hunt when the yotes just appear here and there. But, in your case, at least you are home and the alarm may go off any time. For me, I have to deliberately stay at the cabin, so I generally wait for some sort of pattern or regular visitation before I hunt.

Dog Driller, a portable hunting shack would be peachy keen. I'd love to have something like that.

Sounds like you have some good activity if the bait is gone every day.

My son had a bit of luck this evening late. He got this spike buck with his bow. Got some more scraps for bait.

6mm06 -- another nice one for the feast table.
Where you are what is a favorite way to prepare venison. We like smaller pieces wrapped in a half slice of bacon cooked in a pan with real butter ---- first rate yummy!!

Dog Driller, that sounds tasty. I generally cut the meat into stakes or small cubes for stew, soup, or stir fry. This year I plan to pressure can some of the meat. I hear it's really tender and good that way. It will be my first time to pressure can it. I'm anxious to give it a try.

Back