Baiting

From the pics it looks like a fantastic place to be. And not just for yotes. I bet you can't wait for the weekends, to be able to get to your little slice of heaven. I've been reading through your night vision build process, and it gives me some ideas. I wonder how one of those wireless target cams could be configured to watch over certain long distance areas? They go 1000 yards plus I guess. I suppose with the right camera and ir anything is possible, although it could get expensive quick.

Catskinner,

I'm like you, seems I always have an idea for something else or something new. I think that's part of the enjoyment and of trying to perfect a setup.

I don't know much about the target cameras. Seems you would need a good battery to operate one all night. The camera would need the ability to see infrared light. If so, you can get IR lights rather cheap and have them burn all night via photo cell, hooked to a trolling motor battery One single light would burn every night for around two weeks (if you have a good battery) before the battery needs a recharge. The small 850nm lights I used to use are cheap, slightly over $10 each on Eaby. They do have a slight red glow to them, but I have used them successfully over the last two seasons.

The bullet camera I am using cost around $105 on Ebay. That's not bad and it's a good camera. It comes with a mount that you can attach it to the side of a building or some platform, even attached to the outside of your house.

Another idea is to install one of those bullet cameras as a stand alone unit, mounted near the window of your house or hunting shed, have it attached to a small LCD monitor like I am currently using, and have that mounted inside, aim the camera at the bait site but keep it turned off until you need it. No need to keep it turned on all night if you aren't viewing it all the time. When you want to see what's out there, you can turn on the camera and monitor with the push of a button if you wire in one of those small remote control devices I use, and then use a separate remote control to turn on your IR light that is mounted near the bait site. OR - I have seen remote control devices in packs of two where both operate on the same frequency, so with one push of a button you could turn on everything at the same time. You should be able to see very well. Then you turn everything off and save battery. You could put that outfit together rather cheaply.

Here's an idea of costs for that:

*Camera with mount: $105
*Monitor: $25 or less
*Cables / connectors: Probably less than $12
*IR light - $12 for one, or use two or three lights if coyote will tolerate them. OR better yet, get one of those large 198 LED 940nm lights like I am currently using for around $100. No visible light at all. Mount it on a post and aim it at the bait site.
*Remote control switches: About $16 each give or take
*Batteries: Many choices there, but two for around $20 each would work well if you only use them when you need them and not burning all night.

I have tried the remote control switches at a 125 yard distance and they work to turn lights on and off. There is one available on Ebay that has an antenna, so it may extend the range a bit. That remote is about $18.

There's all kinds of possibilities for this stuff. Just determine what you want and then go about finding parts that will allow you to do it. I'll be glad to help or offer advice as to what I currently know about this stuff. Keep in mind that I'm still in learning mode, though I do have my bait site working pretty good right now.

06 thanks for the info. Im going to look into ways to get a wireless setup just for observation. I live right next to a state forest, so I cant really build a nice setup like you have. I have a D760 night scope for hunting, but I have some private hunting land that I would like to watch sometimes. It would be nice to have a wireless setup for easy portable observation. I like just watching whats out there at night. But I wont hesitate to whack a yote on sight. I think the price may hinder my wishes though. I can start small and see what works.

Yea, being mobile is nice. I do think you can use the bullet camera like I have, along with a monitor and small battery and still be mobile. The only issue might be some glare from the LCD in your face. Combined with an illuminator, that little outfit sees pretty good. Just a thought.

You may be right about the costs involved with wireless. Doesn't hurt to check into it.

As well, you are right that it's nice to just observe at night. I've watched bobcats, foxes, raccoons, skunks and possums through the night vision. Lots of enjoyment.

Good luck.

I wouldn't have a clue about that camera. Maybe try to do a web search for reviews. The thing I see about this one is that you will place it at a specific spot in the field / woods, and then turn it on and off remotely. Is that correct?

The bullet camera I use, if combined with an illuminator, could be scanned from side to side. Distance for viewing might be questionable, but if looking is all you are doing, I think a good illuminator with that cheaper home-made version might just work. Don't know for sure. Depends on just how far you wish to look.

Good luck with it, Catskinner. It may take some playing around with it to see what works, though as you previously mentioned, it could become expensive.

I had a quick question regarding baiting, before things really cool down I would imagine it would be hard to keep a "baitcicle" intact. I was wondering if anybody has ever tried to use those homemade PVC tube feeders you attach to a tree to hold a good deal of dog food and other scraps and whatnot.?

Paddyo, baitcicles work well in cold weather like you'll have in Michigan. Those who live more southerly can't use them to any effect. The coyotes will eat dogfood but dry probably doesn't have enough scent to attract them without some other types of stronger smelling food. Once they get started on a place they will readily eat dry dogfood. So if you can get them coming to your baitpile then a PVC feeder or even mechanical deer type feeder with dry food would probably work okay.

That's what I was hoping, i was going to use the baitcicle a try when it gets cold enough, but with days where it seems to be 42 at night and 75 during the day I figured I would try something else until tempuratures stay consistently below freezing.

Great work David, I knew that Coyote like the last dozen was in grave doubt.
It was just a matter of time till you had the set up the way you wanted it.

Thanks for the details 6mm. I currently have the Pulsar N550 and enjoy using it but your setup there looks great.

Keep the vids coming
smile.gif

Blusam, good luck with that. When you get a black one tied up, let me know.

Thanks Evilcoon. NV is addicting, regardless of what it is.

I am away working at the present but my wife heard coyotes on the "bone pile" last night howling and misbehaving. Must have know that I not home. They are getting brave again.

Talk about a hoot, well I had one last night. I decided I would put the batteries back in my FoxPro and also my XLR 100 and 250 lights and get ready to start calling some. I got out the Savage model 11 243 and mounted the 250 on it thinking I might ride around and shine a few fields just to see if I saw any coyotes. Then I decided I would walk out behind my shop and try the call just to see if everything was working. I left my rifle in the truck in the front of the shop, but I did have the XLR 100 light in my pocket.

Anyway I turned the call on female long howls and let the call run for 3 howls. I thought I heard some distant responses after waiting a few minutes so I thought I'd try coyote group howl. Man when I opened up with it, it sounded like coyotes were everywhere. One was out in the field behind the house, which I had already scanned, and I could tell by his howling that he was charging in on the call. When I turned the 100 on he was only about 100 yds and coming on strong. So, I had to get down low and run around the front of the shop, get the 243 out of the truck and come back and turn the light on. Amazingly he was standing right there looking at me about 75 yds out in the field. So I dumped him right there. I don't know who was the most shocked, me or him. Here are a couple of pictures I took this morning. Another 2 point--white tail tip.
I carried him over to the yard before taking pictures. This must have been a "death wish coyote".
smile.gif

This is a closeup of the entry as you can see there doesn't appear to be one. 243 Win. 58 zmax.

I didn't show the exit but it appears to be about quarter size. Not terribly bad for a 58 zmax at about 3,750 fps.

Well Joe Bob, you did good! LOL. That's great stuff. Just wish I was there with the video camera rolling, not only to get the shot on film, but to get you running for the rifle!!

Back