Baiting

06, that's a pretty neat video. Looks like the Eagle Tac does well at your 60 yard range. Have you tried it at longer ranges by itself?

Dave

I have tested the Eagle Tac to 135 yards, to an area further out from my bait site. It works OK, but not as bright as I would like.

However, just last night I tested a brand new light that is just now coming to market. It is much brighter than the Eagle Tac. I have only tested this light at my 94 yard range in the woods behind my house, but that is a good test since it's very dark there due to all the tall trees, as compared to out in the open with more ambient sky light.

I am in the process of uploading my test video into YouTube. I'll post it here once it's uploaded.

This new light costs about twice what the Eagle Tac does, but it is cheaper than many others. Once you see the video, you can decide for yourself.

UPDATE: Here is the video of my tests the other night.

I know pics would be nice -- going to seriously try getting some on here. Went out and restocked the bait pile yesterday and change the camera card.... usually do this every 3-4 days, what a surprise..... after having only seen single coyotes.....there were multiple pics of 2 and a very nice one of 3. Cold weather really seems to have brought them in.

06, Good to hear about the range of the Eagle Tac. That is more than enough range for me at this point. I'll be looking into getting one eventually.

Good news on the shooting lane, too. I finally got all of the undergrowth cleared out, and I have 59 yards from a downed tree backdrop to the back of the shed. I think that will work. The area beyond the downed tree is fairly clear, so going farther will be pretty easy. There a also a couple of good spots for closer bait sites, so I have a couple of options. Now I just need to get the window installed in the back of the shed, and get the inside set up.

Dog Driller, that's great. We are looking forward to some good photos - of kill shots too.

Cozwurth, little by little you will get your site in proper order. It takes time and some experimenting to find what works right for you. It took me close to three seasons to get my setup to where it is now, but it has really paid off. It's relatively easy to take a coyote now, with the only issue being one hitting the bait while I'm in the cabin.

UPDATE: I have now posted the video of the IR illuminator test in my post above. Keep in mind that some quality is lost when recording and posting to YouTube.

Originally Posted By: manofsteeli have a question. Has anyone ever tried using dog food as bait. The reason i ask is because i work with said that a friend of his uses a deer feeder filled with dog food and he uses it as permanent feeder for coyote. Thanks
In the winter time I use beaver,beef parts, road kill and scraps from a butcher. But when its not freezing the coyotes would just run in and grab a peice and run off not offering a shot. Also the flies get bad in warmer temp. So I decided to use dried dog food during warmer temps. It worked great as the coyotes had to spend the needed time picking up each peice which gave me time to send a V-Max in their direction. Good luck

Originally Posted By: cozwurth06, Good to hear about the range of the Eagle Tac. That is more than enough range for me at this point. I'll be looking into getting one eventually.

Good news on the shooting lane, too. I finally got all of the undergrowth cleared out, and I have 59 yards from a downed tree backdrop to the back of the shed. I think that will work. The area beyond the downed tree is fairly clear, so going farther will be pretty easy. There a also a couple of good spots for closer bait sites, so I have a couple of options. Now I just need to get the window installed in the back of the shed, and get the inside set up.
If you can get plenty of bait it helps to put out some free oferings beyond your bait pile that you are hunting from off and on. These will allow them to come and feed for awhile and get use to free offerings. Not sure about other areas but in Maine many times coyotes ought right refuse free offerings at times

I had this coyote at the bait site last week, but he never actually ate anything.

He also has not returned. This one showed up the same night I called and killed the large female that I wrote about in the story Minute Made Coyote. I killed the female in the field adjacent to my yard about 11:30 that night and then this one showed up on camera after 2:00. I had dragged the one I shot out of the field and into the yard and suspect this one was searching for her.

I'm having a terrible time getting coyotes on the bait this year. I've killed 4 by calling from my yard since early Oct. and the night I killed the double (story Called Four, Killed Two), I actually called 4 to me out of the picked and mowed corn field. So I know they are there, but this year they just won't come to the bait. Any Ideas are welcomed.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI had this coyote at the bait site last week, but he never actually ate anything.

He also has not returned. This one showed up the same night I called and killed the large female that I wrote about in the story Minute Made Coyote. I killed the female in the field adjacent to my yard about 11:30 that night and then this one showed up on camera after 2:00. I had dragged the one I shot out of the field and into the yard and suspect this one was searching for her.

I'm having a terrible time getting coyotes on the bait this year. I've killed 4 by calling from my yard since early Oct. and the night I killed the double (story Called Four, Killed Two), I actually called 4 to me out of the picked and mowed corn field. So I know they are there, but this year they just won't come to the bait. Any Ideas are welcomed.
Be patient they will when it gets colder and harder to find the food to keep them warm. They use less calories coming to your bait than chasing prey. Good Luck!!

Wb, I would agree except two years ago I was slaughtering them in Oct and Nov (killed 14 in those two months) on the bait site. They just don't seem to be that interested in it this year and last year wasn't so good either. Our weather has turned cold so maybe they will start to pop on the bait now. I just had 6 deer in the backyard grazing along so probably no coyotes real close right now.

Haven't seen any coyotes for a while now. Buzzards been having a feast on my pile. Don't know if they are any around or not. Haven't seen the sign I was seeing last year either. I want them to come back, I think !@#$%.

06, that's quite a difference in the brightness of the two lights.

My scope came in, and I got it mounted. I got it sighted in at 25 yards first, them moved back to 50 yards. I've come to the conclusion that I need more practice...

The "new" bait pile has had very little activity. Most of the deer scraps are still where they were dumped on Tuesday evening. My buddy put his camera on it for a day or two, nothing but a couple of possums. The head, skin, and spine are all still there. I'll get my camera on it soon.

trying to figure out picture posting and it is driving me crazy. do you need to have a photobucket account if so how does that work .. to get pics from there to a post on here. any help would alleviate my heartburn this is giving me. thank you in advance.

Yes, you will need a PhotoBucket or other account. In PhotoBucket, once you upload the picture, then go over to the right side of the screen and you will see Links to Share this Photo. There are four options and the last one is for IMG. When you click on that one, it should turn yellow and say copied. You then make your post on here and paste the code in, that will bring your picture into your post.

Houston, we have ignition!
thumbup.gif

We all love pictures, and with all those coyotes in that picture, let the fun begin and the fur fly.

Last edited:

Yea boy Dog Driller! That's nice stuff - 3 coyotes in one photo.

Let the good times roll.

UPDATE to home-made NV outfit.

I stayed at the cabin last night hoping for some predator action, but the night was quiet. However, this morning I put the sights on a crow at 60 yards.
The DVR recorder caught the shot on video. The .17 Remington and a 25 gr. Hornady HP did a number. This was shortly after 7:00 AM this morning.
The good thing about the home-made NV is that it can be used day or night. Scope setting was 6X.

Click on photo to view the video.

Then, about 10:00 AM I captured this video via the DVR recorder. It was a 7-point buck that I had been after since early bow season.
The .17 would be no match for the buck, but I had my trusty 25-06 with me too. The shot was approximately 145-150 yards. The deer
ran down the hill a short ways. He's now being chilled and will later be pressure canned.

This video was just playing around with the DVR before I got the 25-06 in action.

Click on photo to see the video.

Photos

Now, if a coyote will just cooperate, maybe I can get a good kill shot on video with the home-made NV in action.

doubleup, the location of my pile where that pic was taken is affectionately called "the graveyard".

6mm06, nice looking deer should make some good eating.... bacon, butter .. the real stuff, venison and a fry pan. yum yum simple and very good. do you use any lights on your night set up? if so that will not work here. need to figure out something else.

that coyote pic was actually in October some how the month got changed the rest is correct. Camera says now they are coming in at around 4:30 -5:30 AM pretty regularlly. Wish it was more like 10-12 PM easier to wait for them. Want to shoot one with shotgun this year picked up a foxpro wildfire 2 can't wait to start using it after deer season. Funny thing is all the years I have deer hunted I have never seen a coyote during deer season.

Back