ATN X-sight --- Shipping to distributers

Have lots of fun at Shot, sorry I will not be going this year but it will be an eye opener again, for that I am certain!

Well, here is some updated information about the X-Sight, this coming directly to me from a friend. We had a lengthy conversation via phone this evening and he relayed the following to me.

My friend Mike placed an order for the 5-18x X-Sight on February 25th. He received it this past Wednesday, December 17. To sum up his feelings - well, he is one very unhappy camper. Angry is more like it. He feels like he didn't get what was advertised or what he paid for, as well as other issues.

Below are the issues Mike has with the scope, or at least the ones I can remember. We discussed so much that I may have left something out.

(1) No manual. The instructions that came with the scope are so basic as to be useless, with very little explanation of how to get the scope to do this or that. Mike said he found a manual online but it can't be downloaded. He is having a time trying to figure the scope out.

(2) The scope requires a Micro SD card to record video. It does not have the springy feeling on insertion or removal that we are accustomed to. Rather, you just press the card into the slot, but then it goes way down into the slot to the point that it is difficult to retrieve. He had to use some miniature pliers to get hold of the card to retrieve it. After working with it a while he broke an expensive card trying to get it out.

(3) When scanning around with the scope, there is a lag between the real-time target image and the scope's image. The scope eventually catches up with real-time views.

(4) The screen / modes aren't the same as advertised on the website. The scope has no compass or gyro modes. They can't be activated. In other words, it doesn't have all the functions that were advertised.

(5) Mike phoned ATN and was frustrated in that the rep he talked to didn't know beans about the scope. The guy had to go ask someone more than once to try to find information. Mike was told the scope can operate down to 20 degrees C, but later was informed it can operate at 20 F. He said it was apparent the rep at ATN knew practically nothing and didn't offer much help.

(6) When he questioned the ATN rep, Mike was informed that firmware will become available by the end of the month to correct the modes the scope doesn't have, so he will have to wait yet again and hope that it becomes available. The appearance is that ATN is debugging as they go, with promises of a fix later. There was no mention in the box / package to alert the customer that fixes will be coming.

I will be talking to him again soon and will relay any new information.

Mike is sending the scope back to ATN. He is very disappointed, especially after waiting 10 months to get it.

Personally, I think ATN has screwed up royally. Where all this will go from here is anyone's guess. I like to be positive about things and have anxiously waited to hear positive reports, but it is difficult to be positive at the moment considering the long wait for the scopes, and now the issues that plague them, the appearance of shoving them out to the public with known problems, and promises of a fix later. I think Mike's report is just the beginning of a long line of unhappy customers. Maybe I am wrong. Actually I hope his scope is defective and the others are in good working order. We'll see.

Hopefully ATN and other companies will take notice to reviews such as this, and will get their act together and produce a decent digital scope, one that works as it's supposed to straight from the factory. Maybe too they will realize that what most hunters really want is a night vision scope without all the other "clutter." Until then, my home-made job will continue to rock.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Well, here is some updated information about the X-Sight, this coming directly to me from a friend. We had a lengthy conversation via phone this evening and he relayed the following to me.

My friend Mike placed an order for the 5-18x X-Sight on February 25th. He received it this past Wednesday, December 17. To sum up his feelings - well, he is one very unhappy camper. Angry is more like it. He feels like he didn't get what was advertised or what he paid for, as well as other issues.

Below are the issues Mike has with the scope, or at least the ones I can remember. We discussed so much that I may have left something out.

(1) No manual. The instructions that came with the scope are so basic as to be useless, with very little explanation of how to get the scope to do this or that. Mike said he found a manual online but it can't be downloaded. He is having a time trying to figure the scope out.

(2) The scope requires a Micro SD card to record video. It does not have the springy feeling on insertion or removal that we are accustomed to. Rather, you just press the card into the slot, but then it goes way down into the slot to the point that it is difficult to retrieve. He had to use some miniature pliers to get hold of the card to retrieve it. After working with it a while he broke an expensive card trying to get it out.

(3) When scanning around with the scope, there is a lag between the real-time target image and the scope's image. The scope eventually catches up with real-time views.

(4) The screen / modes aren't the same as advertised on the website. The scope has no compass or gyro modes. They can't be activated. In other words, it doesn't have all the functions that were advertised.

(5) Mike phoned ATN and was frustrated in that the rep he talked to didn't know beans about the scope. The guy had to go ask someone more than once to try to find information. Mike was told the scope can operate down to 20 degrees C, but later was informed it can operate at 20 F. He said it was apparent the rep at ATN knew practically nothing and didn't offer much help.

(6) When he questioned the ATN rep, Mike was informed that firmware will become available by the end of the month to correct the modes the scope doesn't have, so he will have to wait yet again and hope that it becomes available. The appearance is that ATN is debugging as they go, with promises of a fix later. There was no mention in the box / package to alert the customer that fixes will be coming.

I will be talking to him again soon and will relay any new information.

Mike is sending the scope back to ATN. He is very disappointed, especially after waiting 10 months to get it.

Personally, I think ATN has screwed up royally. Where all this will go from here is anyone's guess. I like to be positive about things and have anxiously waited to hear positive reports, but it is difficult to be positive at the moment considering the long wait for the scopes, and now the issues that plague them, the appearance of shoving them out to the public with known problems, and promises of a fix later. I think Mike's report is just the beginning of a long line of unhappy customers. Maybe I am wrong. Actually I hope his scope is defective and the others are in good working order. We'll see.

Hopefully ATN and other companies will take notice to reviews such as this, and will get their act together and produce a decent digital scope, one that works as it's supposed to straight from the factory. Maybe too they will realize that what most hunters really want is a night vision scope without all the other "clutter." Until then, my home-made job will continue to rock.

That is a fairly accurate summation top to bottom, thank you for sharing.

The only thing I would tell Mike regarding the latency of the system is that it does help to run the scope in 720p instead of 1080p. It won't completely clear it up but it helps.

Guys who've waited this long should exercise their rights to return a product that doesn't measure up to their expectations and be happy with their purchase.

In the case of this product that could eventually come together, it is the when that is in question.

ATB, Happy Holidays all -

BB

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

Wait until your friend tries it at night. I just had my hands on one and it is very difficult to achieve a decent night view with it. I had a hard time just getting it to go into night mode, then when it did, it took a lot of additional IR to get it to show anything. It is not at all useful as a night scope. It is possible to get it set up and with careful staging make it look good, but in a practical hunting environment it doesn't cut it. I can see how they were able to set it up to look good in their marketing effort. It does make pretty daytime images, for whatever that is worth to a night hunter.

Here is the latest info I have on the X-Sight. I received this from a friend in the UK, just got his letter this evening.

"Regarding the X Sight. I cancelled my order as I mentioned. Three guys on our forum have had theirs and are already sending them back. One of them has found that the screen turns pink, the other two have shifting POI when operating the zoom. I can see that the UK importers are really going to be peeved at having these, and many more returned in the near future. I'm not going to buy one, not now or in the future, even if they do mange to iron out all the problems."

ATN has a very strong marketing department, engineering not so much....
cry.gif

considering all the bad promises they made on roll out, not sure the marketing department is much better than their engineering

Hi Guys. Here in the UK, there are already problems with the above scope. This has just been released in the UK and some of the members on our forum have already arranged to send theirs back due to problems, mainly POI shifting and screens turning pink, as I mentioned to my good friend 6mm06 on here.
I had originally planned to purchase the 3-12x model, but have now cancelled, and don't intend to buy one now, or in the future.

Regards & Merry Xmas to you all.
Steve.

Good to hear from you valleyboy, and welcome to the forum. I can certainly agree with you about not buying one in their current state. The 5x/7x is too strong for night use and until the 3x/? has the focus fixed, it is not an alternative. Even considering that they might fix a lot of the bugs with software, I still would be a long way from trusting the company.

The screens turning pink and POI shift are serious issues. POI shift alone would make me shy.

This is what I love about this forum....The truth is spoken about the products without sales marketing shills posing as users as they are on another hunting forum/s. It appears we have no ATN or Armasight Pro Staffers here...
sneaky2.gif

Thanks again to Ben talking about features and his knowledge with digi devices in general.

Vic

Hey Steve,

Glad you joined in, and thanks for backing up what I had mentioned earlier when I referred to your information about the X-Sight the other day.

I will have to see good things from the scope in the future if I am ever to purchase one. At this time I have scratched it off my list of wants.

Guys, Steve and I have been corresponding for quite some time now and have become good friends. He has a lot to offer our forums and I know he is very welcome here.

Steve, please keep us informed of any other reports from your side of the pond.

It sure is nice to have a place to converse with honest straight talking people. I am glad to hear from Steve and appreciate Ben's work with his videos. Victor, I want to say also that even though you represent a marketing effort, your opinions shoot straight and I thank you for that.

The X-Sight was way over polished on the other forum/s (it's hard to polish a turd) and discourse was met with a blast. I think now the pig is coming out of the blanket. The scope was not well thought out. It can be lauded as a good idea somewhere along the line, but not properly developed. ATN needs somebody in their engineering group that hunts and is listened to. Same thing would help their marketing group.

Buying one of their scopes at this stage in the game is pretty risky unless you're looking for a nice day scope that uses a lot of batteries. From what I've seen, it doesn't play well at night and programming won't fix the night failure as that is more of a physical issue with the 7x glass and poor receptors.

Personally I thought from the start that it sounded too good to be true. There just seemed to be too many features packed into a $600-700 NV scope for it to be any good. Give me an NV digital scope that will work out to 200 yds. with IR assist, ability to record on board (easily), easy on batteries, and as light weight and low mounting as possible. The 3x may eventually do that with the new manual focus, but given the poorness of the 5x, it is highly doubtful.

That is the reason I went with the Photon 4.6XT. It isn't perfect, doesn't have onboard recording, but is fairly light and able to be mounted low. I've killed two reds with it so far.

I think you made a good choice on the Photon XT. I got to compare mine with the X-Sight and I think the Photon does a better job for night work.

Hey gang, I ordered one In mid Nov. and it shipped on the 22nd of Dec. and should be here tomorrow. Definitely not happy on what I'm hearing from the early reports but I'm going to give it a shot. I'm only using this for yotes on my property out to about 100-150 yds max. Also have a super tac on its way to boost the IR. I'll report my findings once I get some time with it. Thanks for the input to date.

I have never seen so many problems with one pos does anything work right on this thing why is or did it get so much praise I don't understand

dwost -

Take some video with the Streamlight TAC IR, that thing throws out an insane amount of IR and it should be a nice match to the X-sight.

BB

Back