Atlas Bipod Knockoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you should take up that position anytime someone posts pics of their rem 700 clone.

Patent laws are often times filled with holes. These guys must have found holes in the patent, or more likely, changed enough dimension just enough to skirt the patent. Therfore no infringment just the same as the people making rem 700 clone actions.

I can and definitely would have a problem if these were sold as/branded atlas with (fake)atlas roll marks but that is not the case.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogA lot of people are going to be shocked when the weekly paycheck stops and are forced to live on Social Security. All the high end stuff you use to have starts getting replaced with "what you can afford" and still keep the lights on stuff. If a $43 works for you then you got $200 left to spend on food, gas or groceries. You/we/I do the best I can to have quality things but sometimes it has to be the cheaper version. Retirement ain't no free ride. Our taste hasn't changed, just our budgets.

Well said and very true. Most young people today do not understand this. And most are saving nothing for retirement. Many will be forced to work until they drop. Assuming they are able to. If not, they'll wind up either a burden to their families, or wards of the state. A lot of this is caused by what I'm seeing here. People overspending, and advising others to do it as well, with all this "buy the best", "MAGA!" nonsense. As soon as I started this thread it immediately got crapped on by the whole, "So...paying for stolen intellectual property is "definitely better" than paying full price?", crowd. All experts at spending other peoples money.

Then they start in with the whole "Buy American" mantra, along with all the, "buying stolen property", idiotic nonsense. Speaking only for myself, I retired at 62. And through careful investing and planning, I actually have more money coming in now than I did when I was working. I planned for it all my life. I saved everything I could, and spent as wisely as I could. It wasn't easy. It takes financial discipline. A LOT of it.

Now sure, I could afford to buy a $300.00 bipod if I so choose. I didn't because it would not have been smart. Just because you can afford something, doesn't mean you should buy it. This Atlas clone is a very good product for the price. Is it "as good" as an original Atlas? Well here is what I find somewhat funny. (Actually it's sad if you spent all that extra money on the Atlas). If Atlas buys you so much supposed "better quality" for almost $300.00. You would sure never guess it by the reviews from actual purchasers of their units. They have no better reviews than the $49.00 copy. So much for MAGA!

ATLAS $279.95, 3-1/2 Stars... 193 Reviews

https://www.amazon.com/AccuShot-3523-Atl...rds=atlas+bipod

COPY $49.95, 3-1/2 Stars... 265 Reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Blob-Outdoo...rds=atlas+bipod

So let's be honest, and stop with all this silly B.S. How great can the "original" be? It's a bipod for Christ's sake, not an aircraft engine. Now I have a nicely made bipod that cost me well over $200.00 less. And the chances are I, anyone who looks at it, or the rifle it's mounted on are never going to know the difference. And if that pi$$es some people off, too bad. My economy comes before anyone else's. Or this country for that matter. I retired early, and I fully intend to stay that way. And blowing money on over priced, over rated goods isn't a good recipe to enjoy retirement on. Or saving for one for that matter. Unless you want to end up back at work at Home Depot or Wal-Mart. I will ALWAYS choose to support myself first. Before I do America, or anyone else for that matter. Oh, one more thing. For my retirement I celebrated and bought a brand new foreign car to replace my 1991 Mustang. A Jeep Grand Cherokee. Manufactured by Fiat. So there, you can start b!tching about that too. And as long as so many of you are on your high horses about how I should spend my money. All of you "buy American" flag wavers should have a little talk with Trump about how he spends his. MAGA!!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/donald-trumps-flagship-hotel-rooms-9725017

Here is something else for all of you, "Buy American" flag wavers to chew on and digest. This all revolves around the old saying, "You only get what you pay for". The problem with that is it works both ways. What we have here is a company that sells a very high quality bipod, (Atlas). They also charge an arm and a leg for it. ($229.00 to $339.00 depending on the model).

Many people, including myself, do not think they are worth that. Or else do not want or require that level of quality, and or expense. So they are going to shop for something similar that is cheaper. Many will purchase a copy, much like several of the one's offered on Amazon. Will they be as good? Perhaps not. But in the grand scheme of things, they will work well for their intended purpose. (We're not all "operators" shooting our $25K sniper rifles in a harsh combat environment).

The fact is Atlas brought a lot of this on themselves, by pricing their models beyond the affordability range of the overall market. If they had brought out a less expensive model, they would be more competitive, and at the same time, would not have created such a large market for cheaper copies.

And you cannot make up for this by screaming, "Buy American!", along with all the MAGA!, flag waving bull$h!t. Even Trump purchased Chinese furnishings for his 5 Star Hotels. And he's the king of MAGA! He also has a keen sense of value. Which is why he does it.... Just like I did.

Like the time I needed a new pair of boots. Old ones wore out. Never owned Red Wing boots before, and heard good stuff about them. Walked in the local Red Wing shop to check some out. Found a pair I liked and looked at the price. $300!! What!! Salesman says, “You are supporting American workers if you buy those”. Yeah, no thanks. I’ll support some Chinese kid trying to put rice on the table.

My foreign ‘assembled’ Georgia Boots work just fine, hold up for just as long and are extremely comfortable for half the price. Maybe some union big cheese who makes $150,000 a year and talks like he has a hot dog lodged in his throat can afford the Red Wings. I’m just a non-union slug trying to get by. I’ll take the cheaper one that does the same thing and is just as good.

Not always will I decide to go cheap. I drive a 2016 Tacoma and had no issues forking out the cash for that. Toyotas run, and run, and run and run. Last one got 300,000 miles with no issues before I sold it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bad DawgLike the time I needed a new pair of boots. Old ones wore out. Never owned Red Wing boots before, and heard good stuff about them. Walked in the local Red Wing shop to check some out. Found a pair I liked and looked at the price. $300!! What!! Salesman says, “You are supporting American workers if you buy those”. Yeah, no thanks. I’ll support some Chinese kid trying to put rice on the table.

My foreign ‘assembled’ Georgia Boots work just fine, hold up for just as long and are extremely comfortable for half the price. Maybe some union big cheese who makes $150,000 a year and talks like he has a hot dog lodged in his throat can afford them. I’m just a non-union slug trying to get by. I’ll take the cheaper one that does the same thing and is just as good.

Not always will I decide to go cheap. I drive a 2016 Tacoma and had no issues forking out the cash for that. Toyotas run, and run, and run and run. Last one got 300,000 miles with no issues before I sold it.

Well said, and I agree with you 100%. I like, and will support American companies and workers, to a point. But I won't do it by throwing money away, paying some asinine ridiculous price, set by God knows who, God knows why. $300.00 for a pair of work boots is insane. And take it from me, you didn't miss anything. Before I retired, the company I worked for gave out vouchers for anyone who was required to purchase steel toed work boots. Of which I was one. I "bought" a pair of $230.00 Red Wing's at the time for only $45.00 with the company voucher.

I couldn't even wear the things they were so heavy, stiff, hot, and uncomfortable! They were without question the most uncomfortable work shoes I ever had. I wouldn't take another pair of Red Wings if you gave them to me! I ended up going to a Pay Less Shoes and bought a pair of very comfortable boots for around $50.00. Were they made in China? I honestly don't know, and I don't care. They fit and they were comfortable. And that's all that mattered to a guy who spent 12 hour shifts standing on a concrete floor. If these American companies expect to survive, they've got to get themselves into a more price competitive situation. Or else they're not going to make it. Like in the movie "Wall Street", today it seems to be survival of the unfitest.

It looks like there are some in this thread that are very knowledgeable about business and the economy. So my question is, what is driving up the prices of American made goods?

Serious question. No sarcasm. I’d really like to know.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgIt looks like there are some in this thread that are very knowledgeable about business and the economy. So my question is, what is driving up the prices of American made goods?

Serious question. No sarcasm. I’d really like to know.

Fair question. Personally I think it boils down to 2 main things. Wages and health care costs. Then, during the last 8 years under Obama you can pile on excessive regulations on business, along with high taxes. Now Trump is trying to drastically reduce the last 2. He is deregulating business, and has lowered the corporate tax rate. We are already seeing the results of that with many companies handing out bonuses, and coming back into the country from overseas, and hiring more American workers in the process.

The Obama Administration was a cancer to business and growth in this country. But you can't blame labor costs on him entirely. You can blame this whole health care disaster on him, simply because he masterminded it. But it cost so much money to live in this country, and to educate people, the cost of doing business keeps climbing to the point we can no longer compete. The playing field is not just level any longer. It's off a cliff. Chinese labor costs are pennies on the dollar compared to ours. We cannot compete as a direct result.

It's sad that a company like Atlas has to charge over $300.00 for a rifle bipod. When the Chinese copy can sell for less than 1/5th of that, and still make money for everyone down the line who is involved in it's production and sales. While the quality of it may not be as good, it's getting better all the time. And much like Japan in the 60's, it's not going to take them very long before they are producing world class goods much like Japan is today.

Look at the improvement of Harbor Freight Tools. Most everything they sell comes from China. A decade ago it was all total junk. Socket wrench sets would crack or else strip out the first time you used them. Their tools were basically disposable. Today that quality has very much improved. And many of their tools and products come with the same guarantees that brand name tools do from Home Depot and Lowe's. Yet they're still very reasonably priced. Add it all up and the American worker has become just too expensive to be able to compete. And idiots like Bernie Sanders think the answer to all of this is to pay burger flippers $15.00 an hour. Talk about pouring salt into an open cut!

what drives up prices? the fact that its ok for anyone to play god and crete a life with no requirements of responsibility for that life...people keep breeding...prices go higher, simple supply and demand...solution? free vasectomies and hystorectomies.

Originally Posted By: greengt88what drives up prices? the fact that its ok for anyone to play god and crete a life with no requirements of responsibility for that life...people keep breeding...prices go higher, simple supply and demand...solution? free vasectomies and hystorectomies.

Interesting. Population? You’d think if the population rose the prices would go down though? I’m no expert by any means when it comes to economy and goods. Just the first thing I thought of.

Last edited:
Atlas charges $300 for a bi-pod because they can. Truth be known, it probably doesn't cost a fraction of what they are charging for it. A little better metal, a little better finish and MADE IN AMERICA stamped on it drives the price way up. All it takes is a couple of guys shooting at a match telling everyone how great this product is and all of a sudden if your not using an Atlas your using junk. Look at the Creedmoor as an example. Best thing since pockets on a shirt. JMO!

Thanks for breaking that down billt.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAtlas charges $300 for a bi-pod because they can. Truth be known, it probably doesn't cost a fraction of what they are charging for it. A little better metal, a little better finish and MADE IN AMERICA stamped on it drives the price way up. All it takes is a couple of guys shooting at a match telling everyone how great this product is and all of a sudden if your not using an Atlas your using junk. Look at the Creedmoor as an example. Best thing since pockets on a shirt. JMO!

Good point pyscodog!

Another example...Look at the Archery market. Compound bows that cost over a grand. Black Widow bows in the neighborhood of $1200-$1500 bucks, crossbows costing over $1500. Nonsense, its all about the guy on top wanting to fill his pockets. Truth be known, Americans have done it to ourselves. Greed!!!

Well, this post took a turn as usual. But, back to the original post. If your happy with your bi-pod and it serves ist purpose, great. Give us a review how it works after you have used it a while. I'm sure there are some of us that would like to know.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Bad Dawg Population? You’d think if the population rose the prices would go down though?

why?

You’d think if population went up, there would be more of a demand for that product, which would increase production and lower cost.

Is that accurate or no?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWell, this post took a turn as usual. But, back to the original post. If your happy with your bi-pod and it serves ist purpose, great. Give us a review how it works after you have used it a while. I'm sure there are some of us that would like to know.

+1.

Also on a side note, it looks like caldwell is realising what they call accumax premium bipod($100) which appears to be a "knockoff" of the $300 mcmillan/rugged ridge bipod.
Ill be waiting for those to hit the streets as well.

Originally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Bad Dawg Population? You’d think if the population rose the prices would go down though?

why?

You’d think if population went up, there would be more of a demand for that product, which would increase production and lower cost.

Is that accurate or no?

maybe if the bigger percentage of the bigger population worked and did not rely on the government titty.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Bad DawgOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Bad Dawg Population? You’d think if the population rose the prices would go down though?

why?

Is that accurate or no?

maybe if the bigger percentage of the bigger population worked and did not rely on the government titty.

True. I couldn’t agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back