Another season starts

Gone for the weekend but thought I would set up a trail camera in an area that I hadn't hunted this year. Set the camera up a couple days ago and was back to check it today. Lots of pictures of magpies but there was 28 pictures of coyotes to make it interesting. Probably was only 4 or 5 coyotes traveling the same trials but at least I know they're in the area. Here is a few of those pics.
picture host
image hosting no account
post a picture
post a picture
post a picture
image hosting free
screen capture

Yeah you better start throwin some lead at them.
smile.gif

After seeing a few coyotes on the trail cam last week, I figured I best try my luck there today. In route to my selected calling spot, I noticed a fair number of fresh coyote tracks which was very encouraging. Set up at the edge of the field with a good clump of grass at my back to hide my presence. Had the bush where the camera was situated to the NE and a small slough north of my position. Started off with a bite call and it wasn't more than a minute into the second series when I have three coyotes coming via the slough. I bark and the lead coyote stops but there is some light brush in the way. The middle coyote stops in the open and that is where the cross hairs get moved to. A 110 yard shot drops it in its tracks and try as I might, I never got a crack at the other two. Seen another 2 further out in the field also making their escape. I believe those two were also coming to investigate. Five coyotes and one down was enough for me. I didn't call anymore as I want to come back and try again in a week or so.
img host

From there I drove 4 miles east where I see a couple coyotes mousing in a field. Drive on past and park the truck out of sight. I almost enjoy spot and stalk hunting as much as calling. A slow careful walk trying to keep the noise level to a minimal was all rewarded when I crested the last knoll and could see one of the coyotes still nearby. I sat down but couldn't see the coyote from that position so I had to move to higher ground. I wait till the coyote was looking away from me and moved a few yards before being spotted. I sat down quick and got the rifle into position. The coyote was jumping up on its back legs trying get a better look at what I was but must not have been happy with the results as it too decided to get to higher ground. The coyote now gave me the chance for an ideal shot and I made sure to take advantage of it. The shot drops the coyote, plus it also scares the the other one out from behind cover. The second coyote runs 60 or so yards past the other one before it stops to look back. Bad decision on its part as I put a 52 grain Berger into its boiler room.
Starting the weekend off with three decent coyotes was a real bonus!
img host

Originally Posted By: lockrotorWTG. Congrats on another great day of hunting.
Thank you lockrotor,
This morning had potential but sometimes things just don't click. Hunted three different areas with only one long range desperation shot that never touched a hair.

Originally Posted By: titch--Good lookin yotes you scored there.

Three in one day is always a good day in my books.
smile.gif

Thank you and I agree about three dog days
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Been cold here for the past couple days with windchill temperatures dipping into the minus forties (F*). This afternoon drive home from work was in sunshine and a balmy minus 1F*.
One mile west of home I see 3 coyotes mousing in a field south of the hi-way. Once home, I tell the wife of my plan and then change into my whites, grab the rifle, and then head back to try stalk coyotes.
Park the truck on the gravel road and walk into the field trying to make a slow careful stalk across many patches of coyote alerting crunchy snow. First used a fence line and then a bush patch in the field to the north to help hide my approach. Once clear of bush patch I use a hill to sneak the last 100 or so yards of where I hoped one of the coyotes still might be. The last few feet to the crest of the hill seemed to be a clumsy attempt of stalking with all the noise I thought I was making. Peaked over the crest and there’s one coyote with its head in a swath and its butt pointing towards me... perfect. A quick scramble to get a better view was halted when the coyote pulled its head from the swath and looked back my direction. I froze but knew I would be visible to the coyotes eyes, so I pulled the rifle onto the shooting sticks and hoped for the best.
I guess the coyote wasn’t sure what I was because it decided to walk a few feet east into an open area giving me a full broadside shot. A quick bark to stop it and a touch of the trigger sends the coyote into a quick 360 degree spin before bolting toward the bush patch. I chambered another round but it wasn’t needed as the coyote piled up after a 20 yard mad dash.
With this coyote down for the count I ran west to the top of the hill in hopes of seeing another coyote. I did see one but it was well over 400 yards out and running hard. Never bothered to even fire a shot.
Walked back to the downed coyote, took a picture, then put on my deer drag harness to drag it to the road.
gif image hosting

Last edited:
WTG. Glad to see you got the ugly one out of the bunch. How long did you sit and wait for them to come by? We got 40 plus degree F today everything is mud and ugly. But again thanks for all the pic and stories.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorWTG. Glad to see you got the ugly one out of the bunch. How long did you sit and wait for them to come by? We got 40 plus degree F today everything is mud and ugly. But again thanks for all the pic and stories.
Thank you lockrotor
I sat for an hour & half total. The last half hour wasn't overly productive though.
smile.gif

I went out this afternoon to set up the trail camera to see if I could capture a few coyote pics. over the next few days.

Walked out roughly 300 yards from the truck on a snowmobile trail that I had made awhile back. Contemplated taking the rifle with but decided to leave it locked up in the truck. Set up the trail camera and walked back to the snowmobile trail and for some reason I decided to walk a ways past to look the area over. What do I see, but two coyotes bedded next to the bush roughly 150 yards away. I retreat back the way I came and make haste back to the truck. On the last hill with a vantage point view, I sneak out again to see if the coyotes were still there.... sure enough they were. Continued to the truck and grabbed the rifle & shooting sticks. Retraced my tracks as quick as I dared and was cautiously watching each step on the last hill. Slowly worked my out to get a clear shot and I was surprised that at least one coyote was still there. The coyote suddenly picked me out and started jumping up on its hind legs trying to get a good look at me. ( I'm sitting down with the rifle on the sticks) The coyote trots out in the open and stops broadside to get a good look at me. A 216 yard shot put coyote number 3 down for the day.

Real lucky I would say!
image hosting no registration

Went to the same area as yesterday but sat a half mile further west. Seen coyotes travel in this area yesterday so I had high hopes.
A tad frustrating this morning to watch 11 coyotes travel on various trails but not one past me.
After a couple hours of no action I made my way back only to see a coyote laying in the field roughly a 150 yards from my truck. The truck was pretty well hid behind a row of trees and I too was behind that same row. Maneuvered into position and then whistled to get the coyote to stand up. Got a range of 193 yards when the coyote got to its feet. A touch of the trigger had that coyote laying right back down.
image uploading site

Back