Another season starts

Congrats on another successful hunt. Alot of walking, but you saw and you shot and you killed. Cannot ever complain about a great day like that.

Thank you all for the comments
thumbup1.gif

This morning I was greeted with temperatures running a few degrees below freezing, a 20 mph NW wind and snow flurries.
Yesterday, I had a farmer tell me that he had lost a cow a few days back and had seen a few coyotes also. Good news for me!
By the location he gave me, (by the trees, west of the dugout) I had a pretty good idea where I needed to go today if the weather conditions cooperated.
With the wind blowing this morning I figured this spot should be sheltered by trees which the coyotes might appreciate and yet enough wind noise in the trees to cover my approach. Parked the truck out of sight which would leave me almost a 1/2 mile stalk. With lots of bush patches to use as cover it wasn’t long before I was approaching the last few yards of my planned destination. As I crested the last knoll I stop to glass the area and try spot the cow carcass (and of course any coyotes). Lowered the binoculars and slowly moved a few feet closer before I catch a glimpse of a coyote by the edge of the trees. It was heading north and it wasn’t till then that I see the carcass roughly 60 yards ahead of it. Much to my surprise, another coyote bust out the trees by the carcass and gave chase to the first one. The bush quickly swallows up both of them and I take this time to get set up in some nearby buck brush. Less than five minutes pass before I see one of the coyotes making its way back towards the opening. The coyote comes to the edge of the trees and stops to scan the area but it missed the rifle barrel that’s centered on its chest.
148 yard shot drops this decent sized male.
print screen windows 7

Not much left of the cow but by the number of paw prints and trails, I wasn’t surprised.
image hosting free

Last edited:
A happy New Year to everyone
thumbup.gif
and I hope 2017 treats you all well.
I'm looking forward to another year of hunting and will be heading out in awhile to do just that
smile.gif
however with a couple new projects on the go, I have decided to end this post and the writing of my hunting adventures from here on. ( for awhile at least )
Take care and shoot straight
thumbup1.gif

thanks for posing SS, always enjoy your posts. Can't believe how many dogs you get into. I hiked 12km today through 8" of snow, managed to get one though
smile.gif
cheers

Thank you Todbartell

Originally Posted By: titch--Nice job, again!
smile.gif

Pictures are always welcome
laugh.gif

Picture I can do titch, I will try and do write ups at a latter time. Looks like my one project could be postponed till April so I may have more time on my hands than I thought.
First 2 for 2017 (shot on January 01st)Both shot near the cow carcass.
picture share
how to screen capture

One from today
picture share

Last edited:
Nice very nice..... Now that the deer season is closed, I can get back at it too....
Always enjoy your pics and stories...
Keep them coming if you can
Happy New Year

Originally Posted By: todbartellroutine!!! How many coyotes do you think you've taken in your life?
I'll have to pull off my shoes & socks to do the math!
Not exactly sure but a guesstimate since 1971 to present would be 1500+ ?? ( and still trying to figure them coyotes out).

Originally Posted By: Saskcoyote78you guys seeing much mange or shoulder lice? Im seeing quite a bit this year in central SK.
Nice work!!
Ran the numbers just now and 29% of what I have shot so far this season have been tossed.
This year, I'm seeing more with shoulder lice than mange.

Congrats to you and your hunting partner. Great to have someone to share in the fun you are having. Shame that you had to throw so many away.

Back