Another season starts

nice job SS

Im still heading out to knock some down when I have the time. I actually got a call for a new place to take care of some problem ones when I have a chance.

Ive knocked three more down since my last post, just been to lazy to write it up.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lockrotorWhat's that white stuff on the ground. Is it, or could it be, snow, that stuff we have nothing of on the ground.
Congrats to both of you for having a great season and sharing.
Yes, that white stuff is snow
smile.gif
Here is another picture my son sent me this morning. This one was to show just how much snow they have. He got stuck when driving out to pick up the coyote and although he only lives an half hour away they have 3 times the snow that we have.
I'm sure he would have been happy to send some of that white stuff your way rather than shoveling for 45 minutes.
My daughter in law was with this morning and took the picture.
image hosting 30 mb

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: titch--nice job SS

Im still heading out to knock some down when I have the time. I actually got a call for a new place to take care of some problem ones when I have a chance.

Ive knocked three more down since my last post, just been to lazy to write it up.
smile.gif

Congrats on the last three and looking forward to reading about the adventures.
The kid and I are hunting together tomorrow but its suppose to be windy. Will be looking for sheltered calling locations.

Thank you Displayed Name & Lodgepole. The times that I can hunt with my son is great fun and having some success is just icing on the cake!

Yesterday’s high winds with some serious snow flurries made for a lack of coyotes which was no surprise but we tried anyhow. We did see a lone coyote in a field that we tried to stalk. Rolling hills to hide our approach combined with a strong wind to mask our footsteps seemed to make for a perfect stalk. Looking over the field after cresting the last hill produced zero coyotes! The two of us glassed the fields in hopes of seeing something but really on a day like this, most warm blooded critters would be in their sheltered bedding areas. Figuring the coyote made the slip on us, we turned around only to see the coyote staring at us from a mere 100 yards away. Rolling hills not only hide us but hides coyotes too
smile.gif
The coyote wasted no time getting to safety on the other side of the hill before we could even get set up. Before venturing back to the truck we check to see what might be on the other side of a treed fence line. What we see is a coyote on the run which most likely was the same one.

It felt much better out this morning as we walked from the truck to our first selected calling spot. Even though the mercury had dropped, there was only a slight breeze drifting across the freshly blanketed snow covered fields making it bearable to be out and about.
Never called at the first set as the breeze kept switching direction on us. Back to the truck and off to check on another area. Parked the truck and after walking less than 200 yards my son spots a single coyote laying down in a hay field a quarter mile to the southeast. As we discuss a plan of attack, we hear a coyote howling close by to the northeast which confirms our plans to try call one of these in. We set up at the edge of a heavy treed windbreak and start off with some cottontail distress. Its only seconds before seeing a coyotes head peering over a ridge to the northeast which I presume was the one who had been howling. Problem is, the farm site is directly behind the coyote, so no chance for a shot. I switch to mouse squeaks and its not long before the coyote ears picks up the sound and on its way. It drops out of sight and I get the rifle ready for when it reappears. Time ticks by and no coyote, hmmmm, where did it go? I glance to my right and see my son lining up on a coyote to the southeast. Its just standing there looking the direction where I thought the other coyote should be. My thought is that these two coyotes are having a stare down. The crack of the 6BR drops the coyote to the southeast but also sends the one closest to me on the run across the field. The one I had coming in would have been less than 200 yards but just hid from my view.
Thumbs-up are exchanged and I ask how far? 220 yards my son says and goes onto say he wasn’t sure why the coyote hung up. It was coming in great, then hits the brakes. My hunting partner did not realize there was a second coyote.
I head back to get the truck and Jr. wanders off to collect the coyote and drag it to the road.
uploading images
From there I turn the wheels towards a certain slough bottom that I wanted to call all season but had yet to make it. A half mile walk from the truck has us set up with round bales as a backrest and a good view of the slough bottom. Start off with a couple howls and wait a few minutes before flooding the area with some distress calls. Still nothing, so back to the howler and this time some challenge howls that are shortly followed with yelps. That was the ticket I guess as I hear a faint whistle from my hunting partner. He points south and motions there is three.
The three are coming along the edge of the slough but then stop, it takes a couple more yelps to get them on the move again. They cut west and then follow a small bush patch towards us. I range the bush at 251 yards and its not long before one of the coyote lopes into the field heading northwest to cut our scent. I lose sight of this coyote behind a round bale but a second coyote comes out of the bush and stops after my son vocal howls it to a stop. New (to me) rifle and scope on its maiden coyote hunt gets settled on this stationary coyote and I drop it with 64 gr Berger. The other two coyotes rocket back the way they came and no other shots fired. More thumbs-ups exchanged and I get asked how far. I range it and reply with a laugh, 220 yards. Funny how this mornings two coyotes were shot at the exact same distances.
upload image

My skinner is shutting it down after this weekend but my sons skinner said he would go one more weekend. The last receiving date for the May sale is March 21, so he said he could squeeze one more weekend in. That is good news for us and we will be hunting my sons area next weekend . And that will be a wrap for this season.

WTG gentlemen. Congrats to another great weekend of hunting fun. Good luck in JRs, area. Hope he is just a good as a guide as you are for him. HAHA.

New to you gun you say, now my ears are perked even more. So I'm guessing a Cooper in 223 ai? I wondered how much you liked the 223rem compared to the tac20 I think you used a while back.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorWTG gentlemen. Congrats to another great weekend of hunting fun. Good luck in JRs, area. Hope he is just a good as a guide as you are for him. HAHA.
If his guiding skills fall short, it will reflect on his tip
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: zr600Did you switch to the 64g bergers from the 52 or is that a different rifle? How are the 64 on fur?
Still shooting 52's out of the 223 but 64's out of the 223AI.
My son shot a fair number of coyotes with the Berger 64's and quite liked them for saving fur. I shot my first coyote with a 64 grain Berger yesterday and it did pass through. It was a quarter sized exit hole.

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameNew to you gun you say, now my ears are perked even more. So I'm guessing a Cooper in 223 ai? I wondered how much you liked the 223rem compared to the tac20 I think you used a while back.

You are indeed right about the rifle being a Cooper 223AI. My son, Ryan bought it a year and half ago but sold his 6mmPPC last summer and now wishes he hadn't. Long story short, he wanted another 6mm and talked me into trading my 1-8" twist Cooper 6BR for his 223AI.
I hadn't shot the BR in almost two years so that was the whole start of the gun swap scheme I guess. That and awhile back, I mentioned that my next gun purchase might be a 223 AI or a 220 Swift. The Swift will have to wait
smile.gif

I shot coyotes with three different 20 caliber offerings ( Tactical 20, 204 Ruger and 20 VarTarg) but came back to the ole 223 after an absence in my gun cabinet for almost 20 years. Now I have an Ackley Improved to keep it company.

Originally Posted By: Displayed Name The 20 Vartarg and the 20 extreme sound very efficient. Did you like the 20 vartarg?
I found the 20VT a very efficient cartridge and shot a few coyotes with it but to a degree, it lacked horse power when it came to a winter furred coyote whacker. Great accuracy and a pleasure to shoot but found it more suited for Varmints. Sold it plus my 17 Fireball and if I were to replace one, it would be the 20VT.
The 20 VT I wished I had kept!!!!!!

Last edited:
Round up a .17 barrel 9 twist and you can use my reamer for .17-204. I'll throw in a box(200)of "legally" imported 30gr kindler golds if I get to watch you use it a season. Hits very hard and good in fur.

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameRound up a .17 barrel 9 twist and you can use my reamer for .17-204. I'll throw in a box(200)of "legally" imported 30gr kindler golds if I get to watch you use it a season. Hits very hard and good in fur.
That's a very kind offer indeed!
thumbup1.gif
A shooting buddy of mine has a 17PPC, a 17BR and a 17-223AI. The 17-223AI custom made dies alone were more than I paid for my first rifle/scope combo :)He claims these HIGH velocity 17's are extreme dog droppers with nil fur damage. He did offer one up to me awhile back but I'm not even sure which one it was now (I think it was the BR)
If I do a 17 custom build in the near future I will keep your offer in mind( the 17-204 seems to make more sense to me) Now you got me thinking, I guess it never hurts to see if I can find a gently used Sako 17 Rem.
smile.gif
( at least an action, can always order a barrel) Not sure but seems to me Sako's had a 1-10 twist. My Remington 17 Fireball had a 1-9 though.

Last edited:
There is one for sale right now on cgn for 1300 or 1500. It's a number of pages back. It def there plus a couple .222rems maybe too. Do on the cheap on another action too. Mine was a rechambered lvsf from Alberta and my hunting partner rechambered a m7 predator but has now upgraded to a Pacnor barrel. Dies aren't bad at all I'm just usingm bushing dies and you can seat with any number of dies.

I wouldn't mind a XR-100 action (single shot)either but I best let the wife warm up to the new Sig P226 that just arrived before buying more goodies. lol

Haha yep we'll keep on the look. Craig Douglas in Saskatoon has my reamer and I'll still have lots of bullets when and if you do it. I heard Todd kindler sold his bullet making equipment and I'm not sure when they'll be up and going again. I have enough now for probably 10 years of coyote hunting. I actually traded/sold those 1000 25gr wildcat bullets a month ago towards a supply of Wipe Out foaming barrel cleaner.

Back