Another season starts

Originally Posted By: lockrotorSnowshoes did you ever get any coyotes from the area of the trail cam pic?
I got one there a week ago Saturday. Calling produced a group of three and I got one of them. There was a pair further out in the field that I think were also coming into the call. The wind direction this weekend was wrong so there was no use going back. Maybe next weekend
smile.gif

SS what do you consider the longest distance you are totally willing to shoot with your present rifle .?It sure seems that your area has a very high population. I am glad you getting all that action. Keep up the good work.

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleSS what do you consider the longest distance you are totally willing to shoot with your present rifle .?It sure seems that your area has a very high population. I am glad you getting all that action. Keep up the good work.
There is a fair number of coyotes around if you know where to look. The guys driving the roads see a small percentage of what is actually out there but not many are willing to use their feet as a mode of travel.
As far as distances for confident shooting, I would say as long as I have a good steady rest, anything standing broadside would be 230 yards or less . Anything facing me would be 150 but would prefer under 100 yards in both cases. I have shot further but would much prefer to see their nose whiskers
smile.gif

Last edited:
Had the morning off and went back to watch some coyote trails. Had a group of five come through and I dropped one at 142 yards.
image upload

On the way home I see a coyote mousing in a field so the stalk was on. Got as close as I could but it turned out to be close enough. Ranged at 316 yards.
adult photo sharing

Thank you guys for the comments.
Off to the city for meetings that run Monday evening through to Wednesday afternoon this week. Sitting in a hotel room now, I found time to write a more detailed account of today's hunt.
Funny how there was enough time for a Monday morning coyote hunt before my wife and I needed to be on the road.
I went back to the creek valley to try irntercept any of those "dine & dash" coyotes leaving the dead pile near the feedlot.
The wind direction (what little there was) would be best suited for me to sit in the same spot as Saturday. Left the truck in darkness but the easterly sky looked to promise a bright sunshine morning. Following my original foot prints from Saturday was less taxing on the legs and the travel time was greatly reduced also.
Reached my destination and after getting settled in, I glassed the far hills for any four legged brown critters ( cows excluded)
Picked out three coyotes following the rim of the creek bank and two more over by the quarter fence line.
The five joined together and set their bearings for the dead pile which now had three coyotes just show up for some fine dining also.
Switched my attention to the sparsely treed hills and pick out an additional 2 coyotes also heading for Black Angus breakfast. Suddenly the lead coyote humps up with tail between it legs and stiff leg walks up to a third coyote who happens to be going the other direction. Some sniffing of each other before they proceeded on their separate ways.
All this entertainment being viewed at almost a half mile through 10 X glass was a treat to watch on such a fine morning.
Surely with 11 coyotes nearby, something should venture my way. Ten minutes passed, then twenty, then thirty , then forty and I got to watch various coyotes at a half mile the whole time. They all seemed content just hanging around the hills basking in the morning sunlight. More glassing produced two more coyotes with one to the east and one to the west but both were a long ways off.
An hour passed by and I'm questioning my choice of today's location but on a positive note, I have a couple good spots planned for future hunts.
I hear a vehicle coming down the road which I figured to be the landowner and that it was. I watch the truck pull through the yard and head for the calving pens. I see the owner get out of the truck and do a walk through the cows. A flash of movement to the northwest snaps me back to reality and I see a group of five coyotes coming across the valley with the lead coyote setting a fast pace. Bark, bark, howl, bark, howl, howl,bark finally stops the second to last coyote. A 142 yard shot does the trick and that one is down. Chambered another round but nothing else looked to be venturing my way.
Back to the truck and make the loop to retrieve the coyote.
Coyote loaded up and heading home when I see a coyote mousing in the field just south of town.
A perfect spot for me to try make a sneak with rolling hills to hide my approach. Pull in and park on a lease road that hides my truck from view. With rifle and shooting stick in hand, away I go to pull a sneak on this unaware mouser. Almost to the top of the hill when I see two more coyotes a quarter mile to the west, hmmmm interesting!
Change my approach so I don't spook the other two and peek over the crest to see the original coyote a mere 80 yards away. Not a good looking coyote so I switch my attention back to the others. Both look good so a quick scan of the hills to determine the best approach to get within shooting range. Off I go and about to crest the last hill when I see one of them trotting to the north. Not sure where the other coyote is but I best try for this one. The coyote stops and looks around but not concerned so I know it doesn't see me. Rangefinder says 316 yards so I adjust accordingly and touch off a shot. The welcome sound of a solid hit echo's back to my ears.... A bonus coyote in my books
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks all for the comments!
With the warm weather we have experienced over the past few days, it almost seems like I should be hunting gophers instead of coyotes.
Suppose to cool down some for the weekend which will be welcomed by me ( my wife, not so much
smile.gif
).
+16C (61F) in February is too warm in these parts!

With much of our snow gone due to unseasonable warm temperatures, it was a coin toss of what camo I should wear but decided to stick with the whites
First stand I call in a pair using coyote vocals and mouse squeaks. One dark and one very light colored coyote is coaxed to within 140 yards. The light colored coyote would almost disappear when crossing the many snow patches and this is the one I wanted. Four times the dark furred coyote stopped in the wide open, broadside and within range but I held off. The other coyote used the lay of the land moreso to partially hide itself and then cut to a thin stand of willows as it closed the distance towards me. A few seconds passed before it cleared the willows giving me a frontal standing shot. At the touch of the trigger, I knew I blew the shot and I watched my two coyotes run away. Ticked off at myself I grumbled under my breath on the walk back to the truck and continued to do so for the whole drive to the next calling spot. I could have taken the dark furred coyote but oh no, I had to try for the other one
smile.gif
Next calling spot was some pasture land that has 3 ravines that combine into one deep heavily treed ravine. The ravines are to my left but I see 4 coyotes in the field to my right so the plans are changed on the fly. My new heading is towards a slough that would drop me out of sight and from there I used some big brush piles to hide my outline to close the distance. Being a big white blob crossing the brown grasses of the pasture made the brush piles a real necessity. Got to the last brush pile but needed to cover another 50 yards to get in an area clear of trees for shooting. Picked the thickest clump of trees on the fence line to stay behind as I worked closer. My slow march forward is halted when I hear a group of coyotes howling from the ravine area... good to know there is coyotes there also. Back to my sneak which has me crawling the last 20 feet on all fours. There was a few deer in the center of the field that were aware of my presence but the coyotes seemed unconcerned. They were now at the edge of the field along the bush with two laying down and two standing. I start off with a howl and that gets the four on alert but nothing moves. Another howl and then one sits down..... the others continue to look my way. I challenge howl and have two walk into the field a few more yards but stop once again. Time to let them know this “new” coyote is eating their food source as I play some jackrabbit distress. That does the trick and here comes three of the four on a steady trot. The lightest colored coyote of the bunch, is the one that hangs back and I’m ok with that. Not going down that road again!
The three come into full view and the center one stops and turns broadside to look back. Cross hairs leveled onto the coyotes chest and down it goes. The other two bust back towards the bush but the one stops after I howl at it. It stopped long enough for me to send a bullet its way. Down goes coyote number two.
First coyote shot was range back to where I sat (150 yards)
Second coyote, ranged at 241 yards.
A closer look showed the last coyote shot had poor fur quality, it got drug off the field and into the trees.
windows 7 print screen

screenshot windows 7

Last edited:
Received a few inches of fresh wet snow overnight causing the landscape to once again be white.
First spot I head is a creek valley where I know there is a dead cow. After leaving the truck, a short walk to a spot where I can glass the area over. From there I see two coyotes at the cow carcass and one laying down a few yards from them. I drop into a draw that runs into the creek valley allowing me to be hid as I try get closer. After crossing the pasture fence I see a coyote standing down by the creek who happens to be looking away from me. I drop down, get set up and range the coyote at 238 yards. Zoom the scope up and touch off shot. Not sure where the bullet hit but it didn't hit the coyote! It runs a few yards and stops to look back. This time my shot finds it's mark. ( Later ranged at 243 yards).
upload photos

The shots sends a couple coyotes across the valley but they are making sure to distance themselves from my location. A few seconds later a scruffy coyote runs down into the flats and its angling towards my downed coyote. I vocal howl a couple times before the coyote stops and I take the shot. The sound of a solid hit which sends the coyote into a frantic spin before it runs roughly 15 feet before piling up. ( later ranged this one at 251 yards)
I knew the second coyote was poor fur quality but turns out the first one wasn't much better. (a small patch of fur missing on its shoulders).
photo share

From there I head to the ravines where I heard the coyotes howling yesterday. Leave the truck and walk to a good lookout spot to call from. Start off with some lone howls and I get responses from four different groups. The group to the south sounded close and the group to the southwest sounded fairly close also. The other groups to the east and southeast were a fair ways off. Did a couple more series of howls which received answers each time but nothing showed up.
Played some cottontail distress and its not a half minute before seeing two coyotes making their way through the trees at the the bottom of the ravine. They both are hid for a bit as they work their up on my side. When they do show, I pick the lead coyote and drop it at 142 yards. The other coyote takes off and I send a bullet its way causing the coyote do an abrupt direction change but never hit it.
( coyote # 3 a nice female)
free picture hosting

Switch the sound to baby cottontail and roughly 3 minutes pass before seeing another pair coming my way. These ones take a different route and I dropped the big male at less than 50 yards. The female spins around and is gone before I can even chamber another round.
adult picture hosting

Called for a bit longer but that was it for action.
Four coyotes is good day in my books
smile.gif

Thank you Lodgepole!
This morning I was off to an area that I haven’t been to for quite some time. Thick fog patches combined with a dusting of fresh snow made for reduced speeds on my journey down the hi-way.
Drove through the landowners yard site a little later than planned but with the area covered in a blanket of fog, it did not matter.
I would continue another half mile with the truck and a quarter mile on foot to my calling spot.
After getting settled in, I start off with a couple series of howls followed with some cottontail distress. Like ghost venturing out of the trees through the fog is 4 mule deer who’s curiosity has gotten the best of them. Another series of cottontail distress brings my deer buddies within 50 yards of me.
A group of coyotes open up roughly a half mile away and then a single howls very close to my location. I return howls which sends my four curious friends a few yards away before they all stop and look back towards me.
A minute passes and I notice the deer have all left the area which gets my hopes up for a coyote in area. It’s not long before seeing my intended target trot out from the trees and into the open. A vocal bark stops it, followed by a shot has the coyote down. ( 104 yards)
Tried some more calls but nothing else showed.
My view from where I sat:
windows screenshot

My prize:
greenshot

The trail the coyote followed along the river:
greenshot

Last edited:
Back