Another season starts

Originally Posted By: Dewey NYNice looking coyotes Snowshoes.. Nice shooting and Congrats.
Thank you,
Well the weatherman said it wasn’t fit for man or beast outside this morning but really, what does he know…. Turns out he may have been onto something there! When I stepped out of the truck the -29C (-20.2F) temperature didn’t feel too bad. Being in the shelter of trees eliminated the wind-chill but as I walked into the open field I found that wind-chill factor of -39C (-38.2F) a tad annoying.
Set up in a sheltered spot and start off with a couple howls which gets return howls from the trees to the south, Wait for a few minutes and switch to some cottontail distress and after a bit repeat. A few more minutes pass and I see a coyote standing in the field to the southwest of me. I lip squeak but the coyote keeps looking back towards the trees and isn’t budging. I take the opportunity to range the coyote when its looking away from me, which showed 223 yards. A shooting distance of 223 yards with a .223 seemed to be a good option if I couldn’t get it to come closer.
A few seconds pass and I see another two coyotes standing at the edge of the bush but they don’t seem like they want to venture into the field. Try some more lip squeaks but the two late arrivals don’t move. The other coyote is still alternating looking at them and me but still not willing move. I zoom up the scope which takes some effort due to the cold temps. Cross hairs centered on the chest and with a light squeeze of the trigger drops the coyote. Tried some yelps but the others never showed themselves again.

The next spot I drove to, looked promising but a quarter mile walk and calling some prime territory never produced a coyote. Magpies and ravens showed but nothing with fur.
From there I drove to a ravine that I like to call a few times every year. Set up part way down a hill with a good stand of buck brush at my back. Go to start off with a few howls but my first attempt was pretty sad to say the least. I figured my reed was froze up but turned out to be piece of straw between the reed and soundboard. Next attempt was better and I get a response from what sounds like a single coyote to the southeast. Four whitetail deer kick out from below me and trot just into the trees a 150 yards away. Pulled out a distress call from under my jacket and let fly with that for a half minute or so. The deer stay put and after a couple minutes I repeat with the distress call. I periodically glance at the deer as I expect they would give away a coyotes presence if one happens to comes through the trees.
Catch movement to my left and see a coyote in the wide open trotting to the south. I swing the gun over and drop this coyote at 46 yards. At the report of the shot it sends a second coyote back to the north. I cycle the action and vocal howl at the same time. The coyote slows down but not stopping, so a touch of the trigger results in just a click, hmmm, it never picked up a cartridge from the clip…. Oh well, I’m blaming the cold temperatures.

Thanks guys for the comments
thumbup1.gif

Another cold morning hunt, even though the temperatures were a little better than yesterday, the wind was considerably stronger making the wind-chill factor into the minus forties. Wanting to stay out of the wind as much as possible any calling locations would need to be on the downwind side of shelter.
First location was along a ravine with me settled in by a large corner post and a good clump of grass behind me.
Howls to start, followed with distress brought this big male bounding into the open. A 75 yard shot put it down.

Next spot is another ravine a mile east and once again I set up by a post with some tall grass to conceal myself. A little further from the trees this time and I can definitely feel the wind more. I’m dressed for the conditions but somehow the wind still manages to find its way through multiple layers of clothing.
Cow horn howler to start and I have a coyote directly north answer really close to me.
Not even 20 seconds pass and I see a different coyote come out of the ravine following a draw to the northeast of me. I bark and the coyote stops, presenting me a 158 yard broadside shot.

The shot silences the coyote to the north but I figured to try some yelps anyways. Let some yelps fly but cut them short when I see the coyote skirting the edge of the ravine. I re-position the rifle and vocal bark/howl to get the coyote to stop. A 172 yard shot has the third down for the morning.

Picked up the last two coyotes and from there turn the truck for home as I had my fill of crisp fresh air for one morning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: titch--Nice job stackin em up.

Sounds like you got some good land over there to hunt on.
So much of the land I hunt has been the same area for a number of years. I try to hunt some new areas every year as it opens up a whole lot of new options. As you know, getting into a new area that has never been called is a double thumbs up.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
very nice looking animals. 2nd one does look big but I think the 3rd picture has the nicest color. Congrats on a great morning hunt. Keep it up and the pic and story. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Neighbor_GuyWell done!!!

I've never had to put three up at once. I bet your skinning shed is a busy place.

I have a skinner that does my coyotes, I try to keep him busy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dewey NYThat coyote in the second picture looks big.. Keep on stacking my man..
He was a decent sized coyote but the fur quality was not great on that one.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorvery nice looking animals. 2nd one does look big but I think the 3rd picture has the nicest color. Congrats on a great morning hunt. Keep it up and the pic and story. Thanks
The first and last one were nicer coyotes for sure.

Another cold morning hunt but very little wind which made it bearable to be out.
As I walked to the first stand of the morning, each step had that sound only boots in cold, cold snow can make. Hopeful not to have alerted every coyote within the township I wait 10 minutes after getting set up to call.
There is a bush patch to the west of me and a long narrow slough that runs from it to well east of me. I'm set up so I can see the slough to my right and the stubble field to the left. Some cotton distress from an old trusted Sceery call breaks the morning silence as the sounds echo back to me from the nearby trees. Tuck the call away and a couple minute pass before seeing a coyote standing on the ice to the north of me. The coyote is looking my way but doesn't move as I move the rifle into position. A 52 yards shot has this one down.
https://postimage.org/
Next spot never produced anything. Third spot,once again never produced but I did see a coyote way off in the distance. On the drive home I see 3 coyotes in a field near home but I'll try for them on another day.

Last edited:
A day of misses and hits
What a difference a day can make when it comes to temperatures. Early yesterday morning when my wife and I drove up to the city for some Boxing Day shopping, the car thermometer showed -30C (-22F) and it had only warmed up to -18C (0F) by the time we returned in the afternoon. To top it off, a brisk breeze just added to what was already a cold day. Today ( Dec. 27th) however, was calm and the mercury was only a few degrees below the freezing mark. Such a swing from yesterday.

I drove to the feedlot at first light this morning and parked in the yard site. The whole area had recently received a heavy fresh blanket of snow which gave the countryside a definite “ winter time scene” look to it. Walked west through numerous rows of round bales in hopes of sneaking up on a coyote that might be in the field. Never seen anything in the field, so I kept working my way west to a spot where I could glass the valley to the south. The binoculars pick out a coyote that is almost to the bush straight south of me. I recently called this area and was reluctant to call again causing the area to be over-called. Some more glassing produces another coyote to the southwest which is hunting mice and looks content on what its doing. I might be able to stalk this last coyote by sticking to the field and then cut into the valley with the trees to hide my approach. I worked my way through the powdery snow to the valley rim and from there I can see a bunch of cows heading the direction where the coyote is. Neither coyote or cows had any idea of my presence but the coyote sure knew the cows were moving into its space. Too much cow activity for this coyote liking, so it makes its way north towards the bush. I quickly cover some ground to try get within range without being detected. Even though my furry target was under 200 yards away, there was either trees or enough of a hill in the way for a shot. The last I seen, the coyote looked to be heading for an area that has numerous dens in a buck brush choked flat just north of the creek. I worked my way further north into the trees and continued west so I could get a view of the denning area. A quick look back towards the cows which are now to the southeast of me reveals two coyotes standing on the flat. I have no idea where they came from but they may have been following the creek channel which could hide them from view. Both are making their way slowly to the south so I give them a pass and continue my journey west. Checked the den site area and then continued west almost to the other road. Still in the trees and only a couple hundred yards from the other road ( this road is basically only used in the summer and not ploughed in the winter). I decide to turn back and make the mile plus journey back to the truck. Walked down into the denning area and see a den that have fresh dirt laying on the snow with lots of tracks around it. Can’t imagine a coyote would hole up on such a nice day but maybe. Was still standing there when I hear something whaling away to the west of me. I can tell its someone playing , “Lightning Jack” from a Foxpro. Its fairly loud and I figure whoever it is, must be very close to the old road trying to call the valley for coyotes. Due to the fact it’s the same landowner on both sides of the road and I’m the only one with permission I was a little surprised. I walk only a few yards east then happen to see a coyote coming across the valley floor and its heading towards the source of the sound. Well this may just work in my favour, so I wait till the coyote is out of sight and then head to a good spot to set up. I sit down and get the rifle onto the shooting sticks while watching the coyote come through a thin stand of popular trees which run almost to the creek channel. The whole time, both coyote and myself can hear “Lightning Jack” and I’m ready for when this coyote clears the trees which I have already ranged at 156 yards. I get glimpses of coyote trotting closer and closer to open ground. Unexpectedly the coyote stops abruptly, then spins around and takes off like its tail is on fire. I now notice “Pup Screams” is the sound filtering thought the trees and obviously the coyote didn’t like it. The coyote hit’s the open and is heading straight south of me, so I try a Texas heart shot but didn’t connect. Packed up and as I journeyed back east I could still hear the FoxPro blasting Pup screams for roughly a quarter mile. Not sure the other hunter(s) heard my shot over the pup screams but can’t imagine they didn’t. I stuck to the bush and out of sight till I was a longs ways off just in case I had some trigger happy guys to the west.
As I approached the truck my tired legs seemed to find new strength after noticing a coyote crossing the road a half mile to the south. Jump into the truck and without much of a plan in place I pull out of the yard and drive down the road. Figured to pull into the pasture and tuck in behind the corrals.
Three hundred yards from the approach, I see the coyote cross the road heading back to the bush. A second coyote follows suit and takes the path of the first. I see magpies fly up from one particular spot in the pasture where I thought the coyote to be headed, so I pull into the pasture just in case there might be another coyote. Sure enough, a third coyote was making its way east, I grab the rifle and run to the corrals. Rest the rifle on the top plank and watch the coyote through the scope as it approached the trees. I figured the coyote would stop for a last look before entering the trees and on cue does just that. A touch of the trigger sends a bullet harmlessly on it way. Sigh… I’m thinking, To this point, No coyotes were injured in the making of this hunt!
Walk back to the truck and thought I really should walk to the top and check out a field of swathed wheat that lay under snow. Had noticed coyotes visiting that field quite regularly due to the abundant amount of mice feeding on the grain. Talked myself into driving instead walking as I figured there likely wouldn’t be any coyotes left in the field after the shot anyways. Tired legs were the culprit in making that decision I believe. Before pulling out, I glass the area where the magpies are still at and see what looked to be the remains of a dead calf. Ok, that explains the attraction for the coyotes. Then ranged the trees where the coyote had stood. (273 yards)
Drove the quarter mile to the top of the valley and sure enough there is a coyote in the field. Pull the truck off the road behind some trees and a row of round bales. Silently scold myself for not walking the quarter mile up the road. Now I have a coyote aware of my presence but grab the rifle, shooting sticks and binoculars anyways. Sneak around the end of the bales to see what the coyote’s up to. Of course is looking my direction but soon loses interest and goes back to hunting mice. Not a good looking coyote but I see an additional 3 coyotes at the far end of the field which peaks my interest. Two of them look good and the third I’m not sure about. Well, can’t get them from here so back to lock the truck and then use the far ditch to hide my sneak back to the rim of the valley. Cross a fence and use a game trail of deer and coyote tracks to work my way west through the trees. After what seems like a long-long walk I decide to work my way to the edge of the trees to see if any coyotes were still in the field. I take extreme care to avoid stepping on any sticks or branches as I work closer to the edge of the field. I still had a couple trees as cover but stop dead in my tracks when I see the head of a coyote 30 yards out. I’m peaking around one of the trees as I slowly pull off my mitts and set the shooting sticks down. The coyote knows something is up but has yet to jump out of its day bed. I slowly bring the rifle up along side the tree and use it as a rest. Curiosity gets the coyote to raise up somewhat from its bed for a better look. Not a good looking coyote but its really close and the temptation is too great, a squeeze of the trigger puts the coyote back to sleep. Cross the fence and walk part way out when I notice another coyote still in the field to the west. This one is busy hunting mice and has paid no attention to the recent shot. I head back to the bush to try my luck at getting within range of it. Follow another game trail of fresh tracks through fresh snow to the west. Come to a draw that runs into the field, which I follow. After travelling well into the field, I work my way to the crest of the draw to see if the coyote was still in the field. Sure enough its still mousing but I need to get higher up so I can see it when I set the rifle on the shooting sticks. Slowly work to higher ground but then notice the coyote has spotted me. I believe it was trying to figure out, what the heck that big white blob was to the east. I don’t dare go any higher up the hill in fear of spooking it away. From my knees, all I can see is its head. Ranged at 201 yards, I decide to take a shot but even with the scope zoomed up the target looked small in the scope. Touch a shot off, the coyote jumps. then looks to the bush behind it before trotting a few yards closer to me. Stops now at 193 yards but I still can only see its head. Still on my knees, I take another shot which results in sending a second bullet harmlessly into the trees. Once again the coyote looks back at the trees, then trots a few yards before stopping broadside. This time I have the whole coyote to shoot at and this shot finds its mark. Ranged the downed coyote at 186 yards. Walked up to very small scruffy pup which was drug to the bush….. The same bush it was trying so hard to avoid………. .
image url
Walked back to my rifle and noticed the bales hiding my truck, looked a long ways off. Ranged the bales at 1052 yards……..yikes.
The temperature is now above the freezing mark and I’m very warm with still a long walk ahead of me.
Took my time heading back but did veer off course so I could get a picture of the first coyote shot. As I approached, the coyote looked as if it was still curled up sleeping but I knew better.
free image host
Drug this one off the field and then ranged the bales once again. Now only 705 yards to walk.
The truck was a welcome sight and so was my water bottle. Stripped the coat off before setting my course for homeward bound.
After dinner, I pulled the snowmobile out of storage and rode to some of my favourite coyote hunting areas to make trails for easier walking on future hunts.. Even made a few trails for the coyotes to follow…. Which just happen to pass less than a 125-150 yards from a few of my selected spots.

Back