Another season starts

Back at it, your stories and pics are great. Looking forward to your post again this year.....Thanks for taking the time to post them...

Lots of good hunting in here, so I'm going to nominate the whole thread for November HOM.

Snowshoes' season opener post is
HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Thank you all, for the comments.
This morning my son made the trip down and I have plans on checking the feedlot first and then from there we would try calling a large ravine a mile to the east. After parking the truck on the east end of the feedlot/yard site we venture to the west only a couple hundred yards before Jr. points out a coyote down in the flat. There was just enough fog in the morning air that I think it hampered this coyotes keen eye sight as it had not picked us out. Even though our quarry had no idea of our presence there was cows between it and us. We then cut back east and followed a draw that would help hide our outline, plus it should also clear us of all the cows. As with all well laid out plans, sometimes they fail and this was one of those times. The cows decided to make the journey with us and even though the coyote stood just shy of 250 yards and still unaware of us, it had the cows to thank for its safety. We walked back to the truck with a good number of 4 legged curious followers.
Drive a mile east and turn off the road and park at the edge of a ravine. As we are collecting our gear from the back seat of the truck we comment that its still a very gloomy looking morning. Cloudy skies plus ice fog giving the NW breeze a very chilled bite to it. Once we got into the sheltered ravine the walk was very pleasant being void of the wind.
After reaching the bottom of the valley I pick a spot facing west on the side of a bluff and Jr. set up facing east to watch our downwind side.
To the southwest, I have a thicket of willows that run for a quarter mile along the creek channel and then a thin stand of populars before the open grassland where I sat. Start off with a short series of jackrabbit distress, then wait, more jackrabbit distress and I notice a ghost like figure of a coyote working its way through the willows. I wait till the coyote is out of sight and swing the rifle and shooting sticks into position. When it clears the willows and walks into the populars, it stops giving me a good broadside shot. The shot was 84 yards but the coyote lay almost a 600 yards from the truck requiring a long drag back. Lucky for me, my much younger hunting partner did the majority of the dragging.

Last edited:
SS the #s of dogs you are getting you need a personal trainer to get you in shape for all the dragging !Thanks for the story and pics .

I always look forward to reading about your adventures Snowshoes. Your not wasting any time getting back into the groove. Great read and pictures. Congrats..

Originally Posted By: todbartellSnowshoes you are the energizer bunny!!!
More turtle than bunny I think
smile.gif

This afternoon I booked off early so I could get a stand in before supper. Drove a mile east and a mile south of home to a spot that has numerous sloughs surrounded by a good sized block of bush. Set up on a fence line and used a small frost covered willow bush as a backdrop. The southeast wind had a crisp bite to it and shortly after getting settled I start off with distress cries from a cow horn tip open reed. Wait for a few minutes, then more distress but only magpies show. Decide to switch it up and pull out the cow horn howler to try some howls. My howls are answered right away to the southwest and it sounds like huge numbers of coyotes but I know in reality there's probably only 3 or 4 howling back at me. Wait for roughly five minutes but no sighting of the sources of the howls. I then give a couple challenge howls and within a minute I see a coyote cut across the field to the west of me, from there it crosses the fence line and then follows some lowland to make its way east. I let it close the distance and the next hill it will crest is where I plan to stop it for a shot. It seems to take forever for the coyote to top the hill but it does finally appear but only its head is visible. The coyote is scanning the field for I presume the phantom coyote. Some fairly loud lip squeaks gets its attention which brings it to the crest of the hill. Rifle ready and cross hairs lined up, a 233 yard shot drops this female coyote.

Nice job on dropping another one.

We finally have abit of snow now too. Im glade about that cause it makes it ALOT easier to see em coming.

Dec 8th cant come soon enough. Thats when I can finally start shooting something.
smile.gif

A Originally Posted By: titch--Nice job on dropping another one.

We finally have abit of snow now too. Im glade about that cause it makes it ALOT easier to see em coming.

Dec 8th cant come soon enough. Thats when I can finally start shooting something.
smile.gif

By the sounds of it, it should be good and cold by the 8th.

With plans to do some Christmas shopping in the city today, the morning coyote hunt would be short.
A two mile drive and a quarter mile walk has me to a good "look out" spot where I can see a vast area of stubble and slough bottoms. Just nicely get settled in when I see a coyote crossing the field to my downwind side. Too late to try call it over as it would catch my scent. I vocal bark several times but the coyote keeps trotting towards the bush. Switch to vocal howls and the second howl stops the coyote but not in a good spot. It's soon on the move again and I take a desperation shot before it enters the bush. At the report of the shot the coyote spins around and runs back the way it came.
Fifteen minutes pass before seeing a different coyote along the edge of a slough bottom and it seems to be heading my general direction. I pull out an open reed squeaker call and work the call till those fuzzy ears picks up the sound. The coyote stops and then turns and heads directly towards me. It drops out of sight for a bit and when it shows itself again I bark to stop it. Drop the coyote with a shot to the chest. (later ranged at 117 yards.)

Last edited:
Yeah the temps will be about prefect then

Only problem is that Im NOT use to these cooler temps yet as its been pretty nice out here so far. Ill just have to pack a extra layer.
smile.gif

This mornings set up was a spot overlooking a valley that historically holds coyotes. I start off with a couple howls and get answers from the north, then the northwest and lastly a long ways off to the northeast. What a great way to start out, coyotes answering from three locations. The ones to the north sound fairly close and they don't quiet down for some time. Wait a few minutes then replace the howler with an open reed distress call and wale away on it for 15-20 seconds. A half minute passes and I see a coyote standing in buck brush roughly 300 yards to the northeast. I re-position the rifle before giving some lower volume distress calls. The calling get the coyote on the move but there is a thin stand of trees between us and it needs to travel another 50 yards before its in the clear. I hear a loud bark and howl to the north which stops the coyote in its tracks. The coyote turns around and disappears back into the buck brush never presenting me a shot. I glance north and see two coyotes coming hard my direction, one holds up but the other keeps coming across the flat at a good pace. When the coyote is roughly 150 yard out I vocal howl to get it to stop. On cue, the coyote hits the brakes and I send a 52 gr. bullet square to the chest. The other coyote vacates in a hurry and I don't bother to call anymore as I plan to come back and try my luck in a week or two.

Last edited:
Back