A question of case management???

Quote:
I have my Lyman manual in the bathroom......I've read it 25x over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good one Brad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I do the same thing..A reloading manual & reloading catalog's in my bathroom,I need to get a life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Quote:
So what is the common denominator with these problems??

Lack of knowledge and/or experience and or operator error.

- DAA

I agree with these statements. I think people take what other people say on the ‘net when it comes to reloading as gospel. Nobody wants to take the time and work up a load that is safe for THEIR firearm the old-fashioned way. In today’s ‘instant gratification’ world, why would anyone do it the right way when they can get there quicker by getting someone else’ opinion?

My handloads are something I don’t get crazy with as far as max loads—I simply value my eyesight and life much more than seeing how much velocity I can wring out as far as bragging rights go.

I, too, have brass I have reloaded and shot many times. In 28 years of handloading metallic cartridges, I have yet to separate a head or split a neck.

I think most shooters tend to overwork their brass. Even if a chamber is a bit oversized that should not cause a big problem. Unless you let it??

I also believe the expander ball is a big problem in overworking brass. I take the expander ball out of my dies, and I use the Sinclair sizing mandrel. This causes another step, however it eliminate a lot of runout problems, and stops from reworking the necks with an expander ball.

However I am not a believer in slightly downloading a cartridge to save brass life. I always load my cartridges up to snuff, After all isn't performance what we are after when we handload?? My opininon is "let the big dog eat". Tom.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So what is the common denominator with these problems??

Lack of knowledge and/or experience and or operator error.

- DAA

I agree with these statements. I think people take what other people say on the ‘net when it comes to reloading as gospel. Nobody wants to take the time and work up a load that is safe for THEIR firearm the old-fashioned way. In today’s ‘instant gratification’ world, why would anyone do it the right way when they can get there quicker by getting someone else’ opinion?

My handloads are something I don’t get crazy with as far as max loads—I simply value my eyesight and life much more than seeing how much velocity I can wring out as far as bragging rights go.

I, too, have brass I have reloaded and shot many times. In 28 years of handloading metallic cartridges, I have yet to separate a head or split a neck.

Excellent post....

Between DAA and you, I think you pretty much covered the subject. Everything today is instant gratification and all you have to do is look in on any forum related to reloading, and probably 99 % of the errors/issues that folks post about are lack of experience or lack of learning the basics when they started.

Reloading for any bottle necked factory cartridge is not hard. Or for any cartridge for that matter if you kow what you are doing.. They all have a few common issues such as head space, COL, brass prep, and other similar things that folks have not learned about but are reloading issues none the less.

Frankley, some of the stuff you see posted in the way of questions and even some of the answers scare the bejusus out of me when I read them. Things like, "My pet load is about 1.5 grains over the reloading manual max in my rifle, but it shows no signs of pressure. It should be fine to use in your rifle, too."

I've reloaded for over 45 yeasrs, but I was taught the basics of what I was doing early on, and I didn't become an "expert" overnight from reading about it on the Internet. I guess it was a good thing for me that Al Gore hadn't invented the internet back then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-BCB

Quote:
[I've reloaded for over 45 yeasrs, but I was taught the basics of what I was doing early on, and I didn't become an "expert" overnight from reading about it on the Internet. I guess it was a good thing for me that Al Gore hadn't invented the internet back then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-BCB

Man I wish I could remember what I learned 45 years ago?? I wish I could remember what I learned 20 years ago?? Who is Al Gore?? Tom.

45 years ago me and a buddy fished in a bucket we filled with a hose.

No one taught me handloading and never really gave it a second thought back when I started. The old fella I bought my stuff from told me "take it home, read the book, come back if you can't figure it out". Never saw him again.

Quote:
45 years ago me and a buddy fished in a bucket we filled with a hose.

No one taught me handloading and never really gave it a second thought back when I started. The old fella I bought my stuff from told me "take it home, read the book, come back if you can't figure it out". Never saw him again.

Reading "the book" is what most folks by-pass today. As a result, the internet is loaded with questions today that have answers that are found in any reloading manual.

Instead of reading, folks jump on the internet, they get a "good load" for their new rifle/cartridge combination, and they start pouring powder. Consequently, in many cases, they can't "figure it out" when "old Betsy" pukes at their efforts in one way or another.

-BCB

BCB,

Quote:
I've reloaded for over 45 yeasrs,

I knew you were experienced.........but I didnt know you were that experienced!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
BCB,

Quote:
I've reloaded for over 45 yeasrs,

I knew you were experienced.........but I didnt know you were that experienced!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I started reloading when I was 15.... I'll let you do the math... Even the "old math" should get you close... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And I still have trouble with spelling... Y-E-A-R-S... Thankfully, Mr. Gore gave us a spell checker which I need to use more often... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

-BCB

I agree, BCB.

I read the original version Modern Handloading by Richard Lee front to back, highlighting the important stuff as I went. I have since passed that copy on to a friend.......

Quote:
It looks like everybody has been having fun while I was in Mexico? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jack

Mexico? Your a brave man Mr Roberts...

Quote:
Quote:
It looks like everybody has been having fun while I was in Mexico? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jack

He was kidnapped but they threw him back.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jack

He was kidnapped but they threw him back.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Probably scared them... Have you seen the photo in his bio?
Grizz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jack.... you werent down there selling Firearms as Giraldo accuses the US for were you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It was a very pleasant trip, never got so much as a frown from the Mexican people. Everybody was very friendly.

Never believe a word you hear from the media. They have their own agenda and it has no relation to the truth.

Jack

Back