A question of case management???

CatShooter

There are currently four threads on problems with the 22-250, and every few days, there is another thread about...

"My 6.2mmx300 handloads are (fill in the blank), what should I do".

And there is a group of very active, old tyme shooters that have a lotta mileage on their feet that NEVER report these problems.

I think it is a problem of how folks manage their cases, how they set up their dies, and all the rest of that stuff.

Guys say you can't shoot a case more than 4 or 5 times... I have shot cases over thirty times with heavy loads, and they are still in regular service.

So what is the common denominator with these problems?? I never have them and a LOT of other guys never have them...

I sure don't know! But there sure is a pattern here.

I have some 6MM brass that I know have been loaded 30 + times since the mid 80's and I never had a problem. I can't think of anything "special" I do to them.

I.ve Shot that crappy Lake City Brass well over thirty time without a Split or anything else.

But with that fine 204 Ruger brass I have split about 100 Cases only after 2nd Firing, They went back to Winchester and since December they are going to send me a new bag (Still Waiting).

I've also been shooting the same Barrel Burning 220 Swift Ammo From the 70's and have NEVER Split 1, I guess it's not as fast as the 22-250.

"My 6.2mmx300 handloads are (Split from the base to the neck, I using .458 Dia Slugs), what should I do".

Cartridges with "minimum sammi head space" fired from a Rifle with a "maximum sammi chamber" is likely the problem..

This can ruin the brass on the first fireing.! But hey you already knew that..

Once upon a time I was fishing in a real nice fishing hole, and up around the corner of this rocky old hole I could hear, but not see, a couple of other guys fishing. But they were so close that I could hear the weights and eggs of their rig hit the water about 30 yards above mine.

All of a sudden, I heard this terrible racket, swearing and yelling, every 4 letter work I knew and some I didn't. Seems they had hung up their rig on the other side of the river, and, the line had parted, just like the Red Sea.

Not the best of stories, but if you can't stand to lose a few, don't throw them in the river, don't hit them off a tee, and leave the gun at home.

Hey Cat;

Maybe they are sooting boolites, instead they should be throwing lead.

Hope Fur dont get ruffled, Just a little joshin

Yo Reddog, I resemble that remark! i think that this topic is what i am aiming for. i could be a pennypincher wanting to get the most mileage for my ChaChing. trying to figure out how to take care of it(DaBrass). i certainly would rather be shooting. no fur or feathers ruffled here. I number my feathers for just such an emergency(FogHornLeggHorn) i'm on probably 15 forums. this is the funnest! LB

It's strictly speculation on my part, but I'm starting to wonder if some of the manufacturers aren't buying lower quality brass due to the demand and economy...

It seems that two years ago, I very seldom saw any negative comments about brass cases and lately, there seems to be quite a few.

I can't believe that everyone is developing a mass hysteria due to the shortages and increased prices...

Aside from the rash of 250 problems lately..
I often think when I see some questions asked, did they actaully read the loading manuals they supposedly have or did they buy all the stuff and taking a short cut. Honestly some if not most of this stuff can be answered by opening a manual. I didnt have the internet available when I started, had to do it the old fashioned way.

Quote:
I think it is a problem of how folks manage their cases, how they set up their dies, and all the rest of that stuff................................ what is the common denominator with these problems?? I never have them and a LOT of other guys never have them...

Inexperience mixed with the ease of being able to ask a question in the speed it takes to type VS. Having to think and work out a problem by yourself. There is no better teacher than having to figure it out on your own. You will never forget the lesson learned either.

Quote:
There are currently four threads on problems with the 22-250, and every few days, there is another thread about...

"My 6.2mmx300 handloads are (fill in the blank), what should I do".

And there is a group of very active, old tyme shooters that have a lotta mileage on their feet that NEVER report these problems.

I think it is a problem of how folks manage their cases, how they set up their dies, and all the rest of that stuff.

Guys say you can't shoot a case more than 4 or 5 times... I have shot case over thirty times with heavy loads, and they are still in regular service.

So what is the common denominator with these problems?? I never have them and a LOT of other guys never have them...

I sure don't know! But there sure is a pattern here.

You got that right!!! Big time!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Furhunter,

it's funny u should mention the manuals. i have speer, hornady, lyman, sierra, nosler, hodgon, alliant. when i went to try the sootin boolit method last night i broke out one of the manuals & came to the realiazation u mentioned.(read da manuals) it seems to be the path of least resistance to ask a question of others than tryin to read the encyclepedia. depending on the way they are written determines (4 me anyway) whether i can comprehend the info in a "do this" way. love to read everything but technical. i have to read posts 4-5 times to glean some things, depending on how they are explained. we are a peculiar people, it used to be most everything was passed down in an apprenticed type (Hands on, on the job)setting. i couldn't & still cannot find anyone in my area to learn from. most people are to busy in the grab all the throwaway that u can, no time to invest in others. to say that i appreciate peoples that offer there constructive insights is an understatement. tinkering w/things that go boom was something scarety cat mom/dad tried to keep me from. i am hoping to teach my kids that intelligent, methodical approach can be rewarding. the best way to repay the people that have helped u is to help others. traditional peoples in this country are a dieing breed. sorry about the long winded post, the short of it is thanks for the help. LB

In thirty some years of handloading I like to think I learned a thing or two. Back then there was no internet and not many people around me to ask. I learned thru reading and 'trial and error'. Some have choose to jump past the learning stage and land in the middle of experience. Typically that doesn't happen.

Some have yet to learn there is a difference between "reloading" and "handloading".

Quote:
Some have choose to jump past the learning stage and land in the middle of experience. Typically that doesn't happen.

And it can be dangerous--I always try to keep in mind that I'm working with things that can go boom in a big way(can you say bomb on the internet anymore?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

This is a great subject!

I have 50 Lapua .308 cases that I neck size, and body die only, and load them with 43.3 grains of Varget. I have loaded them about 9 times. When I clean them with Ballistol and 0000 steel wool they look nice. Primers go in just like the first time I fired them.

I don't anneal my cases yet. My question is how many more (estimate) loaings can I get out of these cases?

I also have minimal trouble with cases, although I did have a fit with a 6.5 gibbs not long ago, after I went back to the basics and addressed the problems one at a time it was straightened up in short order. just too many problems to try a fix at once.
Stealth, in july of 2007, Tom Sarver while shooting a match at Thunder valley range in ohio, set the all time record for 1000 yrd. bench rest with a 5X/50 that measured 1.406" using a 300 Hulk, and cases made from lapua 338 LM brass, his 5 cases he used were on they're 58th firing.
RR

Quote:
So what is the common denominator with these problems??

Lack of knowledge and/or experience and or operator error.

- DAA

While I don't profess to get more than 15 loadings for the average per case I can say that I've never had a problem that I couldn't figure out. Sometimes it just took a while.

I do still have a couple hundred pieces of Remington brass for a .357 max that split the first time fired in a min spec chamber of a Shilen barrel. Not correctly annealed from Remington. Remington did replace them and only wanted a small sampling returned for inspection.

A lot of guys are starting to reload right now, just as a lot of guys are buying AR's.

There is a definite learning curve involved with rolling your own. Heck I've loaded thousands of rounds and still read stuff on the subject all the time......

Back