40 reasons I'll never attend the WTBBC.

Yes and no.......

Won't see but maybe 15 in a weekend.

Just because a guy has a lot of big ranches which are private doesn't mean the only people calling are those that have permission.

Lots of unethical hunters that chose to not knock on doors and they cold care less if they trespass.

I've hunted land where it's not uncommon to call in 13 or 14 coyotes a day if weather conditions are right. I'm not a world class caller by no means. I'm not better than anyone. But if you put me in those areas where coyotes haven't been called and I can make stand after stand after stand,I'm gonna call in alot of coyotes. I've never hunted those areas for 24 hours but if I did I think I'd stack quite a few up. I won't say I'd kill 40 but I honestly think it'd make people doubt my honesty in a tournament.

I don't know who I'm kidding. Might as well be honest. All people have to do is look at me and automatically think "That guy is up to no good." And that's before the hunt even starts.

All I know is I would love to have access to country where those kind of numbers are even thought to be possible, and would love to have the experience/skills to make it happen like that.

The retired gent I hunt with tells stories of himself and brother hunting 50 years ago, and the numbers they would see and kill with various methods. There were far greater numbers of coyotes around here back then, and almost no one called. It's hard to calculate the effect of the combination of mange and modern farming on the population.

All in all I feel fortunate and grateful for the opportunities and places to hunt that I have. And I am gaining ground, but there are huge tracts in the sandhills that are in-accessable to average people.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARAll I know is I would love to have access to country where those kind of numbers are even thought to be possible

^This

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI don't know who I'm kidding. Might as well be honest. All people have to do is look at me and automatically think "That guy is up to no good." And that's before the hunt even starts.

that made me spit some coffee.
lol.gif
lol.gif

If I can't do it nobobdy can,seems to be a recurrent theme in this thread. So far I haven't seen any evidence the winners did anything wrong other than killing more coyotes than anybody else.

Here's a novel idea, if you don't like that tournament or any tournament for that matter, don't participate, and then have the common decency to quite accusing the winners of cheating. Geez, what a whine and cheese party.

I was just surprised that the "jackpot" was only 10% of the pot. They collected $100,000 from the hunters and handed out $10,000 for the jackpot. I sure hope that at least 9 other teams got Jackpots too.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI was just surprised that the "jackpot" was only 10% of the pot. They collected $100,000 from the hunters and handed out $10,000 for the jackpot. I sure hope that at least 9 other teams got Jackpots too.

Does nobody read anymore? It is called the West Texas BIG BOBCAT Contest

"This is a 23 hour contest
The contest does NOT provide the land to hunt.

Heaviest Bobcat wins Grand Prize.
To qualify your bobcat, your team must kill either 5 Grey Fox or 5 Coyotes
(NO MIXING OF THE TWO). If you do not qualify a bobcat, your team is still eligible for the Jackpots. Hunting begins at 12:00 PM on the Saturday of the contest. Weigh-in is the following Sunday at 11:00 AM at Field & Streams in San Angelo, TX.

Entry fee is $200 per team.
Contest pays 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place biggest bobcat, and 3 jackpot prizes.

In the event of a tie, Grand Prize and Jackpots will be split evenly. The $200 entry fee will be divided as follows: $140 will goes toward the Main Contest. $60 is divided 3 ways for each of the following jackpots: Most Bobcats / Most Grey Fox / Most Coyotes.
The 3 Grand Prize places pay 60/30/10. Polygraph fees are taken from Grand Prize pot.
All teams will be entered in Jackpots."[/u]

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI was just surprised that the "jackpot" was only 10% of the pot. They collected $100,000 from the hunters and handed out $10,000 for the jackpot. I sure hope that at least 9 other teams got Jackpots too.

It's a big bobcat hunt. The winner of the big bobcat got like $42,000. 2nd place was around $20,000 and 3rd place was around $7,000...the 3 Jackpots for most coyotes most cats and most fox was $10,000....

Sohampton, I really truly doubt that...lol...I can have my buddies come on here and post the same for me, but I don't need that. I'm a grown azz MAN! Btw, I've never partaken in drugs...lol..keyboard commando!..oh, and just to add, I "only" dropped (2) last night...so sorry I didn't get what you guys get...obviously you guys are the best there has ever been??????? I'll post pics as soon as you get your panties out of being bunched up..lol so hard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI don't know who I'm kidding. Might as well be honest. All people have to do is look at me and automatically think "That guy is up to no good." And that's before the hunt even starts.

I used to fish bass tournaments and one of the guys in the circuit had a last name of Cheatum. True story...
smile.gif
When he placed in the money he always got a bunch of good natured crap from all of us. Dude was a good bass fisherman and had an even better sense of humor.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: OKRattlerI don't know who I'm kidding. Might as well be honest. All people have to do is look at me and automatically think "That guy is up to no good." And that's before the hunt even starts.

I used to fish bass tournaments and one of the guys in the circuit had a last name of Cheatum. True story...
smile.gif
When he placed in the money he always got a bunch of good natured crap from all of us. Dude was a good bass fisherman and had an even better sense of humor. Lol That's awesome. If I got a haircut and shaved every once in awhile it'd help some. I'm actually a decent person. I just don't exactly look like it. Last Summer I was in a convenience store trying to decide what I wanted to get to snack on. I noticed everyone in the store got really quiet so I looked up and saw everyone looking at me...cashiers included. A buddy of mine was at the counter and he said "Would you hurry up? You're making everyone nervous." I didn't think anything of it but he was like "Dude...you were standing there with your hands in your pockets. You looked so suspicious,I was wondering what you were up to." It's pretty bad when you can't even look like yourself without scaring people.lol That was an awkward situation.

Last edited:
I just read this entire thread and I am so, so jealous. Our hunts use blocks and temperature probes. Just about the only way to cheat is to have others whacking dogs and giving them to the team.

This country is so darned hard to call that 6 coyotes will usually win and 5 will get you in the money. I wish I could find a place where I could just see 40 coyotes in 24 hours. I can't even begin to wrap my head around 40 coyotes + other critters too boot.

As far as cheating goes. Hey, if the contest was properly administered and so forth, the numbers must at least be feasible. Oh, I am so jealous.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisLet's do this

People can kill a lot of coyotes in heavily populated areas of uneducated coyotes.

You guys that are killing 40 in 24 hours, come where I hunt kill 40 and then Maybe, just maybe you could earn some due respect!

It all has to do with land that hasn't been called and a very healthy uneducated coyote population.

Just because you kill a lot, doesn't make you world class coyote callers! Sounds like their are a lot of really stupid coyotes in Texas!

Now go rest your arms from patting each other on the back all day!

your posts are cringeworthy

Originally Posted By: RichardKOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisLet's do this

People can kill a lot of coyotes in heavily populated areas of uneducated coyotes.

You guys that are killing 40 in 24 hours, come where I hunt kill 40 and then Maybe, just maybe you could earn some due respect!

It all has to do with land that hasn't been called and a very healthy uneducated coyote population.

Just because you kill a lot, doesn't make you world class coyote callers! Sounds like their are a lot of really stupid coyotes in Texas!

Now go rest your arms from patting each other on the back all day!

your posts are cringeworthy

I will take that as a compliment!

Thank you!

The last contest I participated in brought in 50 coyotes in three days. That was with over 600 participants. I'd like to know what are all those predators eating out there? I'd think that many coyotes would be beyond the carrying capacity of the land.

Back