1/4" all day long rifle's.....

yes it is the same group i took a side pic also for better lighting of the holes
not trying to fool any one here
i will go out tomorrow and do it again if there are doubts.
as far as the lead sled went i didnt used the but stock holder i just used front rest but it is no diff than if i did use the holder

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
here ya go
ita a stevens mod 200 .223
with 27.7 gr of RL-15
i dont know the size of the grps i dont have a caliper
it was off a leadsled @ 94 yds
DSC00312-1.jpg

DSC00311-1.jpg

Good on ya crowpopper... (by the way, you weren't supposed to be able to do that). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

Not wanting to pick nits here and the shooting appears to be good groups but I hate to see this billed a 10 5-shot group set when it appears to be only 5 groups. The bottom 5 groups are the same groups as the top 5. Still good at 5 groups.

Good eye.......use the $.40 to buy another target to get away from the "one target turned to look like two" effect.

Actually if you turned it another 90 degrees you could have 15 sets of five shot groups.

I can't wait to get home to give that a try with my POS Savage. Mine won't shoot 1/2 all day long though. Only till about 11:00, then I get hungry and my mind starts to wander.... Hopefully this thread will still be around towards the end of September.

Quote:
Quote:
here ya go
ita a stevens mod 200 .223
with 27.7 gr of RL-15
i dont know the size of the grps i dont have a caliper
it was off a leadsled @ 94 yds
DSC00312-1.jpg

DSC00311-1.jpg

All those dimes... How many fliers did you cover up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif?

Just kidding. That's some fine shooting. I would be veryhappy with that from a "off the rack" sporter.

Quote:
by the way, you weren't supposed to be able to do that

No one said that there weren't some rifles that would shoot well (well not being .2's)

A dime is somewhere ~.7". That looks as your agg would be somewhere around .7-.8. Deff sub MOA but a far cry from .25 or even .5. There is a reason people pay $2000-$5000+ for customs. Rifles are like glass. Once you get so good, it cost A LOT to get any better.

I hope no one gets offended with this thread. I'm sure it wasn't started to bash a brand. As brdeano stated. He thought his would do better. I'm sure it will be an eye opener for MANY & very intersting to see the HONEST results. Everyone that can, should shoot "the" target & post the 5 5shot results. It will be VERY interesting.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

As a somewhat serious competitor (handgun), I know the value of being able to perform cold and on demand, day in and day out. I have been doping loads for a couple of rifles for the past week and I have some groups from a little CZ 527 with a Bushnell scope that will knock your socks off. The rifle has shot several sub .5 moa groups, but that doesn't make it a .5 moa rifle does it? Best efforts are cool for bragging rights, but they don't mean squat when the rubber meets the road.

just printed off a couple...I'll do one at 100 and one at 200, this weekend at ben avery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
I like these kind of posts. You know, the posts based in reality...

Well put!!!

Brad,,,, I know we kid around alot but let me say

I keep targets for load data (those recipe cards never did work out for me) and after scrounging around a little I found this target from my SPS Tactical in 223. I changed the trigger out and put it in a old HS stock. It is wearing a 300.00 Sightron 3-12X42.

CZ452037-1.jpg

This was two different loads of Benchmark that I had narrowed it down to. Sorry for the crappy pix but I'm a crappy photographer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
The loads on top were 24.0gr's and the bottom 3 were 24.5.
Guess which load I settled on?
The six groups averaged .5906.
A good rifle on a good day and still not quarter inch all day long.

Oh yea...I was out of targets so a Sharpie and some black electrical tape were improvised. That's turned out to be one of my favorite targets.

Here's the rifle. Nothing fancy but Colony Varmints throughout the northwest scurry for their holes at just the sight of this baby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LTRonthecheap009.jpg

I bought the stock on the net and it was horrible. I sanded and sanded and eventually gave it 5 coats of Black Krylon Chaulk Board paint. It's hard as a Hillary's heart.

I sure hope this thread doesn't turn into a peeing match.

Last edited:
i dont have a printer so i made my target
i never said i was shooting 1/4 in grps i just tried what he said 5, 5 shot grps on a paper
any animal shot with the grps i posted wont know the diff if they were 1/4 in or .5 in
here is the target with no dimes on it
i only had them to show size reference not cover up flyers
DSC00313-1.jpg

Quote:
DAA, who was the smith on that 22br??

Mike Bryant did all the work on that one.

- DAA

I cleaned mine tonight. 1200 rounds between cleanings sure leave's alot of stuff in the barrel. LOL. Used 2 applications of wipe-out and had all kinds of crud come sliding out of that barrel. I'll shoot another target with it tomorrow, while laying down some moly, and see how many rounds it takes to settle down after tonight's scrubbing.

Are those SPS Tac's twisted 1-9" or 1-12"? Looks nice, and how do you like the Sightron? I've heard good things about the SII and SIII, but have never played around with one.

Quote:
Hopefully this thread will still be around towards the end of September.

If it aint, we'll fire it up again.
Stay safe and hurry home so we can pick on ya for shooting a Savage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
i dont have a printer so i made my target
i never said i was shooting 1/4 in grps i just tried what he said 5, 5 shot grps on a paper
any animal shot with the grps i posted wont know the diff if they were 1/4 in or .5 in
here is the target with no dimes on it
i only had them to show size reference not cover up flyers
DSC00313-1.jpg

once my trigger is done ill do this again and post it for you guys it is going to shop next week

There isn't anything wrong with those groups, that'll kill anything you point it at.

Here is my sons .243 Stevens. I just shot my second best group of my life with it. It's only 3 shots, in hind sight I wished I would of shot 2 more...... but .597 at 300 yards isnt bad for a $300 rifle.....

so hows that for a stevens?????????

Dan,
Thanks for the link to the BR.com thread.(first page)
I enjoyed seeing VG disappear when Jhunt put $1000 on the table.
I love my Savage 12VLP in .204. A couple month's ago I was getting low on reloads and had to buy a new can of powder. So I started 1.0gr lower and worked back up to find the best load with the new can of powder. Just so happens my best group was the identical load from my previous can. It's not a 1/4" but it's just under 3/8". After three shots I didn't want to spoil the group, but with it being the same load I wanted to try one of the rounds from the previous can to see if I needed to combine or separate the reloads. My fourth shot is the hole taking out the most orange.
P2100012.jpg

Needless to say I was glad I took the shot.

I think that's good with this scope:
http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU41650IGR.html
GAJoe

Quote:

Are those SPS Tac's twisted 1-9" or 1-12"? Looks nice, and how do you like the Sightron? I've heard good things about the SII and SIII, but have never played around with one.

Remington advertised them as 9 twist and that's what attracted me, but after I bought it I read a post by Catshooter about some of them getting out of the factory with 12 twist. I checked and sure enough mine was one of them. From what I heard Remington was replacing the barrels if you wanted, but mine shot so good I was reluctant to send it anywhere. I mainly shoot Gophers and targets and our range only has 300yrd capability anyway so I'm happy shooting 55 and 60 grain pills.

I have three Sightrons and have no complaints. I'll compare the SII's to a VX-II. They used to be a good deal but a couple of years ago the secret got out and the prices went up. I've gone back to Leupold's.

I printed a couple of your targets and will take them to the range this weekend.
If I print some good groups I'll post them. If not, I'll lie and make excuses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Later

Not my best but darn close. 20 round group fired in rapid succession as fast as I could fire and reload out of a bone stock PSS in .308.

Chupa

Well that didn't work. I'll try to get'em up.

Last edited:
Back