1/4" all day long rifle's.....

You guys are getting too philosophical for me! This threads got some legs. Ha I'm #100. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I printed three of the SH targets and went to the range today.(thats all the ink I had)

I used three rifles for this..a .308 10fp, 22-250 Rem 788 and an AR-15. All three rifles will shoot sub-moa with pet loads.
I used non-pet loads for the .308 and 22-250 that I had loaded for use in any rifle in the respected caliber. Both loads are spec OAL with medium powder charges. I though that this might represent factory ammo used that many claim they use to shoot sub-moa with.

The AR I used a developed load using benchmark under 50gr Vmax seated to mag length.

I though that this actually turned out pretty funny in the end. Each target was shot straight through with no cool down. (it was in the 90's anyway today) shot in the prone position from a bipod.

Here are the results

.308 10fp heavy bbl, 1 1/2lb accutrigger, B'C medalist stock, fired on 20x from a 6-24 Burris XTR.. load 175 SMK's over BL-C2

DSCF4771.jpg

22-250 Rem 788 glass bedded and floated with 2lb Timmney trigger. fired on 14x from a Millet 4-16x illum TRS1,, load = 50gr sierra Blitz over IMR 4064

DSCF4769.jpg

Last was my 16" heavy bbl DPMS with Voltr stock, with a $50 dollar 3-9x bushnell shot at 9x. and 7lb trigger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I shot this target straight through with no pause from a 30rnd mag loaded with 25 in under 2 minutes. Load is 50gr V-max somewhat dialed. Oh, the spot next to grp 1 is where a fly shite himself when he realized there was incoming..lol Justtt kidin its pizza sauce. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DSCF4770.jpg

As you can see, the best average came from the most in-accurate set up the AR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif It was dammed hot today but I can't give an excuse, I don't think that I would have done much better from the bench off of the rest as I shoot prone mostly anyway unless I'm using a chrony and working up loads. Sure I pulled a few but they count too. If you look at the first group from the AR that could been a

Last edited:
Quote:

FWIW, I shot the target this morning with a CZ 527 American and I intended to post the results to show what can be done with load development, making sure the known CZ issues are addressed first, etc. If such a post would be seen as childish, snobbish, and no one would care, I'll keep it to myself.

I also printed the target and took it and my trusty 17Rem to the range today.
I choose not to post mine either,,,, but for a totally different reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Quote:

I choose not to post mine either,,,, but for a totally different reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BS RePete. I've seen you shoot that thing and the reason you don't want to post pictures is because they are near 1-holers and you don't want to defend the fact that they are 5-shot groups.

Cheers.

Quote:
Quote:

BS RePete. I've seen you shoot that thing and the reason you don't want to post pictures is because they are near 1-holers and you don't want to defend the fact that they are 5-shot groups.

Cheers.

Not true "Doyle" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I stunk the place up so bad I'll be suprised if they don't 86 me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Seriously,,,,,I don't think I shot a group under 3/4" all day and that one was the exception. It does go to show that "all day long" is easier to post than to do. At least for me it is.
You know how well that gun shoots but I had a bad day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Probably to much pressure from the prospect of posting it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Leadlobber, Just measure the widest point of the group, outside to outside, and then subtract the bullet diameter.

That's some pretty good shooting also!!!

Thanks brdeano I came up with an avg. of .508
Another butt ugly Savage, mine has the Choate stock that shoots pretty little groups.I'll try 68s next I think the rifle likes them even more ... if only I can do my part.

Hi all:

Not interested in debating bench vs. prone, sporter vs. custom, hunter vs. sniper, sniper wannabe vs. sniper, 3 shot vs. 5 shot, etc., etc.

I am a hunter, nothing more, nothing less!

I will post up what my Savage 10 FLP in .223 will shoot. It is straight factory with the Savage stock. This was shot at the local VDGIF sight-in range wich has wooden benches and I used home-made sandbags. I spent an enormous amount of time trying to get my archived target data transferred from my shooting software to here. So, here is my respectable entry into this thread. It is not 1/4 inch but close enough to 1/2 inch to say so. This six group, 3 shots per group target is good enough for me to claim it is a shooter. The target average is 0.521 inches for 100yds.

scan0001.jpg

Gordy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
... if only I can do my part.

Just become one of the anointed benchrest shooters with the 5000 dollar rifles...

They apparently never have to "do their part" because they're always so quick to impugn those who mention their rifle's capability if they indeed shoot it competently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

Good challenge brdeano! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif You are right... one group does not a 1/2" rifle make. I could easilly pull an old target out of the file folder and show you a group in the .3's from my Rem 788. Instead, I like the idea of going out with your target, sitting down and chellenging myself to shoot my best x 5. One chance, no do-overs, no BS.

So, here's my submission. Remington 788 in .222 B&L Balvar 6-24x, millet r&b, Canjar trigger. Believe it or not this gun is not bedded (I never saw the need). R-P brass, 25.5gr. WW748, Hornady 50gr. VMax, CCI450 mag. primer.

I was doing fairly well until the last group (lower right). I tried to start early, but it was getting hot fast and I think the worsening mirage hurt me on group #4 (top right). So, for some idiotic reason I decided to clean my gun between group #4 and #5 and give it a good chance to cool. I fired a fouler off the page, but should have fired two as my first on the page opened what would have been more like a .6" group./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Oh well. I am pleased nonetheless. Aggregate 0.612".

08-8-9222.jpg

Guys I have to tell you even Benchrest guns with wind etc don't shoot 1/4" all day. Sometimes a little BS goes beyond belief.

Last edited:
Good post 17ACKLEYBEE....

Some of the flexing going on here in these "1/4" all day threads" reminds me of the excess testerone levels you might find at a weight lifting contest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JMO - BCB

well I've got a few decent rifles, got a couple that have shot in the .1's, but I look at it like this, I have to be on my game, not only the day I shoot, but also the day I load, the day I make cases, etc, etc.
I have pulled off a few 1/4" groups, not all day long, not for more than a few minutes. have done it enough to know the rifles are capable when human error is held to a minimum, (such as if I could get repete to run the trigger!)

Tom sarvers rifle can shoot 1.403" groups at 1K, but he's did it once!
RR

well it was very windy today in phoenix but I wanted to see how close I could come to the ever fabled 1/4". Both targets were shot at 100 yds, wind was 15-20 left to right and a bit at the back.

60 vmax over 25gr benchmark
cci 450
LC brass
snipertarget60vmax.jpg

53 sierra hp over benchmark
this is a load that I wanted to do some development on...I think it is amazing how this shows the preferance for a certain pressure...just one tenth of a grain of BM either side of 25.6 and the groups opened...I am going to load more of these little buggers for next week.
snipertarget53hp.jpg

Seen a lot of pics of groups w/ 1" grid target and ones with a ruler that indicate a group maybe two inches wide and the poster says they're 1"MOA or on 1" grids and the author will state them as 1/2 inch groups.
My question is do you actually divide the diameter of the grouping by 2 to get the group size?

oops...I mislabled the center group on the bottom target...should be 25.6 / 450.

Furroshiss, groups are measured center to center, if the target is at 200 yds, a 1" group would be 1/2 moa...if the target is at 100 yds, a 1" group would be 1 moa.

Sorry bushy, "center to center"?

Center of the widest holes?

was out today working up new loads for my ar and savage 22-250, eventually got my 5 shot groups to nearly touch at 100 yards but when i measured the O.D. of my tighest groups still 1.1"-1.2" I have to be measuring this wrong.

Remember, I'm from Wisconsin, need all the help I can get.

Back