1/4" all day long rifle's.....

you like group pics, well here ya go, this is a tikka t3 lite in 30-06, with 3 different bullets with 2 different powders, its only 3 shot groups and its not sub .5" but it averages in the .5's for all the groups, besides give me a break, I think its pretty [beeep] good to do this with a sub 6.5 # rifle with 3 bullets and different powders. all groups where shot on the same day, actually these where all the groups I shot with that gun that day.

sellstuff026.jpg

Quote:

What choke and load did you use to shoot those patterns? LOL

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif So now a .695 agg is a pattern. You must have some outstanding shooting rifles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The whole point was/is that I can sit down and crank out little 3 shot groups with that rifle, but when I tried putting 25 good shots on a target it was much harder to do. I just wonder if any of the guys who post the ONE little 3 shot groups, then say their rifle shoots in the .2's, would shoot and post a multiple group target. I've shot my share of internet groups with that rifle, but was a little suprised at this one as I thought it would have been better.

Mike's right, this rifle is an experiment of sorts in cleaning, or lack thereof. I last cleaned it at 1500 rounds back last winter, currently it's round count is just over 2700. A cleaning might shrink those groups, but it's still shooting good enough for what it does. It'll get cleaned when the groups open up past MOA, til then I'll just keep running with it.

I am afraid a rifle that shoots .695" groups wouldn't cut it, where I used to go to shoot groundhogs. We would often shoot out past 500 yards, and a .695" group at 100 would be, at best, a 3.5" group at 500, and that's assuming it maintains the same degree of accuracy out to 500 yards and there's no deterioration due to wind or mirage. That makes hitting a groundhog under ideal conditions, even if you have the range estimated correctly, more a matter of luck, his being bad, your's being good, than design.

Now, to be fair, I don't normally shoot 5 shot groups. The reason is that I would prefer to shoot 3 3 shot groups over 2 five shot groups, due to changing atmospheric conditions. It's normally easier to find the time for 3 shots in similar wind and sun conditions than for 5 shots. And, if we are trying to measure the potential of the gun and load, rather than the gun, the load ....... and the ability of the shooter to gauge wind and mirage, I think it's a better way to do it. If I could shoot indoors, where light and wind are always the same, I would put more reliance on a 5 shot group to indicate their accuracy potential.

And, also to be fair, I clean my rifles after every use, unless I plan on using them the next day or two.

Quote:

That's a .22BR, built on a single digit S/N Nesika K, Lilja 3 groove, Jewell, Nightforce, Lee Six HBR. When the wind isn't blowing too bad and I've had just the right amount of coffee, it's pure [beeep]-on-wheels in a dog town. Killed a decent sized pile of 'chucks with it too.

- DAA

Nice shooting Dave,,,,,,,,I just finished a 22BR build on a trued 700 action with 24" 14twist Pac-Nor barrel. Haven't shot it yet though.
Would you mind telling me what bullet/powder combo you're using? I won't ask you to quote the grains on the internet, just the components.
I have 55gr Balistic Tips and Benchmark I plan to start with. Hope the BT's work out cause I bought 500.

I'll be happy if mine shoots half as good as yours does.

Thanks

[quoteWould you mind telling me what bullet/powder combo you're using?

Don't mind at all. The target in the picture was shot using Jef Fowler's "old" 52 gr. bullets (the ones made with the tool steel dies that eventually got wore out, not the new carbide dies he was using at the time of his death). And H4895 powder.

Since I only have about a thousand left of those old Fowler's, I mostly use 50 gr. Vmax in that rifle now, with the same charge of H4895.

Probably my favorite load combo for the .22BR though, and especially for use on p-dogs, is a 40 gr. Vmax with N135. That's what I use in two other .22BR's. Superb accuracy and over 4000 fps, it's a real flat dog zapper of a load and actually seems to get more air time out of p-dogs than the heavier 50 gr. Vmax.

- DAA

Quote:
you know, all those savage/steven's rifle's.

OUCH!!!!!!!!

It will be interesting to see what pops up. Time to head to the range, then figger out how to throw pics up on this thing.

this target was shot off the ground on a bipod and rear bag.... not off a bench and a lead sled..lots of guys saying theirs will do it but yet to see any pics...clean your barrel and run the NF it will be better i bet $$$ on it

Don't take the savage/stevens thing personal. The one I have is still one of the best shooting factory guns I own. The last groups I shot with it agg'd 1/2MOA at 230yds for 9 5 shot groups. Can't complain for $400 rifle, and it's whacked ALOT of groundhogs. I think of getting rid of it but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Quote:
I am afraid a rifle that shoots .695" groups wouldn't cut it, where I used to go to shoot groundhogs. We would often shoot out past 500 yards, and a .695" group at 100 would be, at best, a 3.5" group at 500, and that's assuming it maintains the same degree of accuracy out to 500 yards and there's no deterioration due to wind or mirage. That makes hitting a groundhog under ideal conditions, even if you have the range estimated correctly, more a matter of luck, his being bad, your's being good, than design.

Your pretty close on the 500 yard numbers. These were a 500, and 600, yard group shot with that same rifle/load a few weeks back. They were only 3 shot groups though. I had 10 rounds left at the end of the day and was saving them for woodchuck's. Then just decided to put a couple groups on paper to see how they did. I've only killed woodchucks out to 575yds with that rifle, and have missed a handful of 500 yard shots with it as well. I usually get the elevation correct, but the wind is what eats me up.

100_2817-1.jpg

100_2816-1.jpg

Probably my favorite load combo for the .22BR though, and especially for use on p-dogs, is a 40 gr. Vmax with N135. That's what I use in two other .22BR's. Superb accuracy and over 4000 fps, it's a real flat dog zapper of a load and actually seems to get more air time out of p-dogs than the heavier 50 gr. Vmax.

- DAA

Thanks Dave,,,,,,,I'll give those 40's a try.
I used V-Max's for the first time this year in my 223 Gopher Gun (I'm an old HP guy) and have to say they are VERY enetertaining.

Your statement about guys shooting better than their guns is spot on as well.
As a volenteer R.O. at our local range I help with some of the sanctioned BR matches and every once in a while I get to shoot some very accurate (read expencive) rifles. I'm far from a good shot but those guns can even make me look good. Heck, I think some of those front rests cost more than alot of rifles.

Brad,,, We're still waiting for you and those other two monkeys to show up for the beer and bullets competition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
Brad,,, We're still waiting for you and those other two monkeys to show up for the beer and bullets competition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keep your eye on RePete if you shoot with him. From what I can tell he only takes one shot then runs up and pokes 9 holes in the paper right around the original while your checking your own target.

Hey, I should be in Oklahoma with Donovan come december. How far are you form there?

I haven't seen Ken posting much, I assume he's busy right now with work.

I'm going give that rifle a cleaning and shoot that target again. Like donovan said, were shooting them laying in the dirt no benches.

Didn't one of you guys get a .17Rem here awhile back? That other monkey that's supposed to come out there was telling me yesterday that he's going to be building one. He just wasn't sure if he was going .17rem, or .17-223. I'm still waiting on my 243AI, then I think I'm doing a 22-250AI 1-8" twisted for 80gr VLD's.

I'm with Denny. I've got several great rifles in the safe and am happy with dime sized groups from the varmint rifles and inch groups from the deer rifles. By the way great shooting from you guys that posted groups.

I like these kind of posts. You know, the posts based in reality...

Good shooting fellas!

Haven't been getting much range time in, so I'm living vicariously through you guys...

Quote:

Didn't one of you guys get a .17Rem here awhile back?

Yea Dave got one. I have two 17Rem's and a 17FB. Dave shot my 17's a while back and was hooked. He searched around and came up with a Sweet BDL in 17Rem that's a real shooter.

Oklahoma ain't much closer than Mich. for us.
After seeing those targets I don't think I want to shoot against you anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Nothing wrong with the 17/223. One advantage to it is that you don't have to be stuck using Rem. brass.
An even better idea is the 17Predator. It uses 223 brass also and is a real screamer. When my LVSF dies It will become a 17Pred.

DAA has one and swears by it for Coyotes. He can tell ya alot more than I can. There's some good info about it on his web-site too.

You can't believe anything I.O.N says. He drinks Keystone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Got to wondering about all the super duper internet rifles that guy's own that group sub-1/2 MOA all day long...you know, all those savage/steven's rifle's. I was shooting a target for another website this afternoon and ended up with a .695" agg for 5 5shot groups. It just made me wonder if anyone else would pull out their internet rifles and shoot some real world groups with them? I would like to see some tries at this target.

Here is the target, simply shoot 5, 5 shot groups on the same paper. Surely the 1/4MOA savage rifles would have no problem spanking the custom rifles in this regard.

[beeep], I only agg'd .695" on my try.

You missed the target on all groups surley you can shoot better than that!!! No just kidding thats some good groups I am going to download the target and try it out.

Here is my sons .243 Stevens. I just shot my second best group of my life with it. It's only 3 shots, in hind sight I wished I would of shot 2 more...... but .597 at 300 yards isnt bad for a $300 rifle.....

IMG_0542.jpg

gun2.jpg

I did the paint job too..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
here ya go
ita a stevens mod 200 .223
with 27.7 gr of RL-15
i dont know the size of the grps i dont have a caliper
it was off a leadsled @ 94 yds
DSC00312-1.jpg

DSC00311-1.jpg

Good on ya crowpopper... (by the way, you weren't supposed to be able to do that). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

Quote:
Quote:
here ya go
ita a stevens mod 200 .223
with 27.7 gr of RL-15
i dont know the size of the grps i dont have a caliper
it was off a leadsled @ 94 yds
DSC00312-1.jpg

DSC00311-1.jpg

Good on ya crowpopper... (by the way, you weren't supposed to be able to do that). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

Not wanting to pick nits here and the shooting appears to be good groups but I hate to see this billed a 10 5-shot group set when it appears to be only 5 groups. The bottom 5 groups are the same groups as the top 5. Still good at 5 groups.

Back