How tough are coyotes?

Friday morning I had a good sized male stop at about 155 yds. Not sure if he would come any closer, I sent a 60 grn Vmax and hit him low in the chest. He was standing looking uphill to my stand. He dropped like a rock. To my suprise, he started crawling towards the manzinita brush with only his front legs. He made it about 10 yds into the brush. He had blood coming out of his backside. Coyotes are indeed tough!

A perfect shot through the "engine room" doesn't always mean DRT. How many times have you all shot a deer just right behind the shoulder? Sometimes they go down right there and the next time maybe take off running a ways.

Originally Posted By: BoobooA perfect shot through the "engine room" doesn't always mean DRT. How many times have you all shot a deer just right behind the shoulder? Sometimes they go down right there and the next time maybe take off running a ways.
I guess thats my point. It seems that if I dont spine a coyote it runs no matter what.

Everyone that I put the crosshairs on and pulled the trigger dripped like a hammer. I'm using a Weatherby 22-250 shooting handloads with a Nosler 55 grain accubond bullet.

Originally Posted By: John Brent RoyEveryone that I put the crosshairs on and pulled the trigger dripped like a hammer. I'm using a Weatherby 22-250 shooting handloads with a Nosler 55 grain accubond bullet.

I wish I had your luck. I do believe that if you shoot enough, you will get runners, and you may loose some.

Quote:I shot a yote this am running across the feedlot,
distance 300 yards +/-
cal .204 ruger
bullet 40 gr V-Max.
speed 3450 fps
Poi, third rib from the back.(gut shot)
Result, 300 yard tracking job.....and recovered yote.(with help from dogs)
What did I learn "AGAIN"????????
Make good shots if you expect "DRT" yotes.

I know this isn't always the case.

Look at the real kill zone as compared to the blue circled area. I've seen many hit there and the shooter thinking it went into the boiler room. This coyote is slightly quartering too, had it been a true broadside the bluish circle would look even further forward.

anatomy.jpg

I don't know who's pic this is or I would give them credit.

Last edited:
cool.gif
I once shot a running coyote @ close range with a Remington Model 870 and 12 ga rifled slugs directly in the chest so that the slug went thru and thru out his rear. No fur damage and absolutely DRT! But I was actually deer hunting at that time so it was a lucky shot and situation all the way around but I will never forget it!

Good hunting!
thumbup.gif

I started shooting the 52 grain Berger MV's out of my 22-250 about 5 years ago. For a lot of years I shot the Sierra 52 grain BTHP's and had spectacular success with them but for some reason they didn't shoot well out of my newer 22-250's.

I tried the 52 gr Bergers out of my 220 Swift, also, and found them to be accurate and a good hunting bullet.

Last November I picked up an brand new 40 year old Sako Forester 22-250 from a collector, bought a can of IMR 8208 XBR and worked up a load with the 52 gr Bergers. I'd been shooting a reduced Berger load out of my Kimber and it did a nice job with not too much fur damage but this new hot load out of the new rifle is nothing short of devastating. The first coyote I shot with it was close and the exit hole was grape fruit sized. The second coyote was hit twice with the same shot as he had his head turned back over his shoulder. The bullet took off the top of his head and penetrated the body. No doubt about this kill. What a mess. We got a picture but it took some posing the animal to hide as much of the carnage as we could. Coyotes at longer range also die rapidly but with a little less visible damage.

From what I've seen over a lot of years of calling is that coyotes are tough as [beeep]. I shot a 75 grain Sierra out of my old 243 and had runnoffs. Too many of them, really. But when I went with the 22-250 and the right bullet that number went down dramatically. This isn't meant to be an argument about the 243 vs the 22-250. It's about the right tool for the job. Yes.....I love getting a beautiful coyote pelt from time to time but I'd rather have what I shoot drop where it's hit. The 52 grain Berger MV loaded hot fits the bill.

Quote:Everyone that I put the crosshairs on and pulled the trigger dripped like a hammer. I'm using a Weatherby 22-250 shooting handloads with a Nosler 55 grain accubond bullet.

And exactly how many would that be? One, maybe two?

Get those crosshairs on about 20 more and please give us an update.

That 22-250 will darn sure get er done though. One of the best there is.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: John Brent RoyEveryone that I put the crosshairs on and pulled the trigger dripped like a hammer. I'm using a Weatherby 22-250 shooting handloads with a Nosler 55 grain accubond bullet.

I wish I had your luck. I do believe that if you shoot enough, you will get runners, and you may loose some.

Quote:I shot a yote this am running across the feedlot,
distance 300 yards +/-
cal .204 ruger
bullet 40 gr V-Max.
speed 3450 fps
Poi, third rib from the back.(gut shot)
Result, 300 yard tracking job.....and recovered yote.(with help from dogs)
What did I learn "AGAIN"????????
Make good shots if you expect "DRT" yotes.

I know this isn't always the case.

Look at the real kill zone as compared to the blue circled area. I've seen many hit there and the shooter thinking it went into the boiler room. This coyote is slightly quartering too, had it been a true broadside the bluish circle would look even further forward.

anatomy.jpg

I don't know who's pic this is or I would give them credit.

+1

I know a lot of people who shoot at the wrong area. That picture comes from a very informative post located here:

varmint hunter

All that this shows is that placement is the most important thing, given that your caliber starts in .2xx not .4xx.....lol

I posted what happened to me a few days ago, for the purpose of showing that we all make "poor hits".
I always want "DRT", but in the real world, there are times we have "blood trails", and lost coyotes.Regardless of bullet, or caliber.
Just part of hunting coyotes.
I kill 150 or so a year, and I will admit I have my share of "marginal hits", due to circumstances.(with dogs , I never loose one, and maybe take some shots I shouldn't, thats just being honest.)
We all have the choice to "shoot or don't shoot".
In my opinion a lost coyote can only be the fault of the shooter.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesQuote Duane: "In my opinion a lost coyote can only be the fault of the shooter."

That right there sums it up rather nicely.

I think I'll put up the "BS flag" on that one. Anyone that has hunted at all has/will lose animals. Thats part of hunting we dont like it and we do our best to avoid it but it happens. Some less then others but all lose some

You won't kill them all. Through my training I was always told "one shot, one kill" I know this is an very old saying but it holds true. You have to do a lot of shooting to get good. Personally I shoot my 22-250 on an average of 100 rounds per week at the Sherburne complex. The more you shoot, the better you get. But if you are having trouble seek out people who can help you, especially those in the military that have sniper backgrounds/

Originally Posted By: John Brent RoyEveryone that I put the crosshairs on and pulled the trigger dripped like a hammer. I'm using a Weatherby 22-250 shooting handloads with a Nosler 55 grain accubond bullet.

Nosler doesn't make a 22 caliber Accubond....

Originally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: doggin coyotesQuote Duane: "In my opinion a lost coyote can only be the fault of the shooter."

I think I'll put up the "BS flag" on that one. Anyone that has hunted at all has/will lose animals. Thats part of hunting we dont like it and we do our best to avoid it but it happens. Some less then others but all lose some

He didn't say it wouldn't happening.. He just said who's fault it was..

Luckly,95% of people on the internet has a military and a sniper background.I think Alf is right on the Accubond bullet in .224 not existing.Originally Posted By: John Brent RoyYou won't kill them all. Through my training I was always told "one shot, one kill" I know this is an very old saying but it holds true. You have to do a lot of shooting to get good. Personally I shoot my 22-250 on an average of 100 rounds per week at the Sherburne complex. The more you shoot, the better you get. But if you are having trouble seek out people who can help you, especially those in the military that have sniper backgrounds/

Originally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: doggin coyotesQuote Duane: "In my opinion a lost coyote can only be the fault of the shooter."

Evidently...
frown.gif

Back